Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Gaming Shower Thoughts

Here's an idea - a thread where you just share those "what the hell" or "why the hell not" thoughts you have - relating to PC gaming obv.

Prompted by my noticing (via the BBC quoting this place) that there's a "Team Dignitas" who play DoTA?

Really???

Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I've wondered for years but never find out why they went for the name Team Dignitas.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    They assist opponents deaths?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    They assist opponents deaths?
    If that was the reason - they're more retarded than I thought. If that's the level of this stuff, e-sports is gonna remain awfully niche...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Used to be a popular meme in Shooters about 10 years back, the whole "let me through, I'm a doctor" stick. Might just be a continuation/variation of that, seeing how they started with Battlefield 1942 in 2003. And once they got popular, it was probbaly too late to change the name as it had become a brand by that time. Less stupid and more a result of e-sports suddenly popping up over night.

Also you complain about Dignitas as a Team-name and then casually use the word "retarded" as an insult. Way to go, I guess.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Prompted by my noticing (via the BBC quoting this place) that there's a "Team Dignitas" who play DoTA?
    They play a bunch of games, it's one of those e-sports organizations with several teams for different games. Incidentally, their DotA 2 squad disbanded last year, it's members now scattered around other teams.

I don't understand... Dignitas is an insult now? Actually, I find that name quite suitable for a gaming clan (and funny) ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Almost every shower I've had for the past couple of months has been dominated by a mental game design (as in, a game designed mentally, not a game design that is totally mental) for an arena shooter where players design their own gun. When I've not been trying to work out how that would even work as a game and if it would be any good, I've been thinking about why Euro Truck Simulator 2 is so addictive and yet boring at the same time. Whenever I'm not playing it I want to play it, but when I am playing it I start to fall asleep.

Real truck drivers struggle to stay awake so it's realistic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    I thought this was going to be like a baby shower but with games.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    Almost every shower I've had for the past couple of months has been dominated by a mental game design (as in, a game designed mentally, not a game design that is totally mental) for an arena shooter where players design their own gun. When I've not been trying to work out how that would even work as a game and if it would be any good, I've been thinking about why Euro Truck Simulator 2 is so addictive and yet boring at the same time. Whenever I'm not playing it I want to play it, but when I am playing it I start to fall asleep.
    A bit like Loadout then, I guess? Although they never got far with their build your own gun system, in part because they never quite got the balancing part down and some options are (or were) just flatout better.

If we're talking gaming pipedreams, I've got this one about a Puzzle Game, set in Space. You're basically a scrap merchant and search the universe for derelict ships and stations to salvage. The story would be indirectly told through the wreckages and what happened in each one of them individually. The gameplay would consist of trying to navigate a broken ship, re-wiring and repurposing parts of it, so you can progress, while not tripping the thing that made it go kaputt in the first place. A bit like Gunpoint in that respect but a stronger focus on understanding the logic behind the respective ships.
    It'd start easy with typical human ships, you understand the systems and the layout and language but as the game goes on, you'd need to figure out at least parts of alien language and different characteristics. Are the sirens a warning sound or is that the alien concept of soothing music? Stuff like that. Basically, it's that sci-fi trope of finding old spaceships, only turned into a game.

If we're talking actual Showerthoughts, a in ideas that are a bit ridiculous. I've wondered whether gaming couldn't be a method of controlling time itself. While not having control over the direction, we can make hours turn into what feels like minutes and minutes can turn into an endless dull grind. So we could, in theory, prolong our live by playing boring games as each minute will feel like two. And then it went on, what if we could control that subjective feeling of time even better, using games as the medium? Could we achieve semi-immmortality through playing games? Showerthought it is.

Do we even know that Team Dignitas is named after the Euthanasia lot... or is it named after the original Latin meaning of how much influence an individual can have over a situation? And, at least it's spelled with all letters, no numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Yeah, I don't understand why anyone would think they named themselves after the Swiss suicide people. Dignitas was one of the Roman virtues meaning as much as honor, respect or, well, dignity. It's a cultural concept that is probably best compared to the Asian "face" but more about the individual.
    New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by theForged View Post
    Also you complain about Dignitas as a Team-name and then casually use the word "retarded" as an insult. Way to go, I guess.
    Firstly I didn't "complain" - I was a bit surprised tho - it's a bit of a disaster whether it's intentional or not...

Lifting a dictionary definition for retarded - "less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one's age" - I'd say anyone who thought it was a good idea to use the name if they did know what it stood for - would be exactly that!?

End of the day, gaming is seen by many people as being a bit socially-backward - something for kids and all that - so it might help if we came across a bit more - erm - socially aware??

It was just a thought tho - I'm not suggesting marching on their headquarters ;0

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Firstly I didn't "complain"
    Your choice of words implied otherwise.

Lifting a dictionary definition for retarded - "less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one's age" - I'd say anyone who thought it was a good idea to use the name if they did know what it stood for - would be exactly that!
    Please don't be that way. We both know the word isn't as innocent as you try to paint it. Similarly to how Dignitas carries more connotations. I just thought it was a bit of hypocrisy on your part. No big deal either way.

Network Hub
    My gaming shower-thought tends to be for the game I wanted XCOM to be (no, not just X-COM with better graphics), and which it never can be due to its fixation with being a good board-game. (A game where you face moral choices when deciding how to deal with the alien invaders (is it morally right to upgrade your soldiers into Mech troopers in XCOM? Do they get a say?), where you can engage in politics with your masters as much as planning military actions, and where the results of your successful actions can determine what happens to humanity in the aftermath.)
    I fear it would easily end up being a game of too many spreadsheets, however...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    A bit like Loadout then, I guess? Although they never got far with their build your own gun system, in part because they never quite got the balancing part down and some options are (or were) just flatout better.
    Similar I guess, but less cartoony. I'd probably have to actually make the thing to see if it would be balanced, but I'd want to limit it to stuff that's vaguely possible anyway so it should just about work out.

Quote Originally Posted by aoanla View Post
    (is it morally right to upgrade your soldiers into Mech troopers in XCOM? Do they get a say?)
    I was completely at ease in making my guys invisible whenever they stand near a wall, but this might make their dating difficult.

Please don't be that way. We both know the word isn't as innocent as you try to paint it. Similarly to how Dignitas carries more connotations. I just thought it was a bit of hypocrisy on your part. No big deal either way.
    It's probably me, but when I hear Dignitas, I only think of the Latin word and concept (like Anthile said). I don't know how well known those Swiss people are, but I hadn't heard of them before this discussion.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    I thought this was going to be like a baby shower but with games.
    +1 I'm almost disappointed