Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    It's probably me, but when I hear Dignitas, I only think of the Latin word and concept (like Anthile said). I don't know how well known those Swiss people are, but I hadn't heard of them before this discussion.
    It's probably the primary association here in Europe at least, the euthanasia clinic. Whether that was the case in 2003, I think I'm too young to remember...
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    It's probably the primary association here in Europe at least, the euthanasia clinic. Whether that was the case in 2003, I think I'm too young to remember...
    I am fully european, yet immeaditily associated it with the latin word instead (as are Unaco and Anthile IIRC).

Okay, I'll narrow that to the UK then.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate

I too am an European and have never heard of any organisation called Dignitas until now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    I too am an European and have heard of the Swiss dudes many times.
    They are doing God's work, only a bit more expensive, but that's for another thread.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    I am fully european, yet immeaditily associated it with the latin word instead (as are Unaco and Anthile IIRC).
    European too, and as I said: never heard of them. Where I live (Netherlands), we're no strangers to the concept of euthanasia, so maybe that's why the Swiss organisation never got much attention here.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I had to google Dignitas to find out they murder people who want to be murdered.

I'd just assumed the e-sports people used Dignitas because they thought it sounded cool and it probably means something in Latin.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Why there isn't a decent tps game on pc since max payne (mp3 didn't really cut for me)?
    post in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I had to google Dignitas to find out they murder people who want to be murdered.

I'd just assumed the e-sports people used Dignitas because they thought it sounded cool and it probably means something in Latin.
    Sounds like dignity (dignitą)
    post in progress

More shower thoughts: is the main difference between a mouse and a gamepad (esp. when considering the relative difficulties of playing an FPS) that with the mouse, you move your hand to where you want the cursor to point at; whereas with a pad, you move the thumbstick towards the direction you want the cursor to move in order to get it to point at the right position; therefore with the pad there's an additional mental layer between what you want to do and what you actually do?

Edit: Continuation thoughts: if you're playing a racing game instead of an FPS, the pad is however better, because now you want the "cursor" (ie. the vehicle) to move towards a certain direction - therefore the mouse is now worse?

Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    European too, and as I said: never heard of them. Where I live (Netherlands), we're no strangers to the concept of euthanasia, so maybe that's why the Swiss organisation never got much attention here.
    Quite probably yea. Switzerland's the most popular (only?) option for those seeking euthanasia in the UK, and anyone who assists them on as little as booking the treatment/flight or boarding the plane is liable for a murder charge (though I don't think anyone's been convicted). So it's in the news a lot.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    and anyone who assists them on as little as booking the treatment/flight or boarding the plane is liable for a murder charge

This got chucked out awhile ago, you are free to go to Switzerland and do that and not get charged for murder.

to find out they murder people who want to be murdered

It is not murder and saying it is murder is wrong.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    We don't want to go down the route of the mores of assisted suicide here - outside of how associating yourself with it isn't the best idea for a gaming club perhaps!!!

As for the mouse/gamepad thing - the real difference is, as Velko highlights, that a mouse is more direct - you can choose not only where to move but how fast you get there.

It's that 'variable speed' which kills pad FPS's - if it moves fast you can't be accurate - if it moves slow you're playing "in treacle" and no amount of 'speed sensitivity' can ever quite close that gap (which is why some auto-aim is pretty-much mandatory for pad shooters)

That's not to say you can't make a good game anyway but there are compromises (as with using a pad to steer a car or - indeed - using a keyboard to control any analogue movement too!!)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    More shower thoughts: is the main difference between a mouse and a gamepad (esp. when considering the relative difficulties of playing an FPS) that with the mouse, you move your hand to where you want the cursor to point at; whereas with a pad, you move the thumbstick towards the direction you want the cursor to move in order to get it to point at the right position; therefore with the pad there's an additional mental layer between what you want to do and what you actually do?

Edit: Continuation thoughts: if you're playing a racing game instead of an FPS, the pad is however better, because now you want the "cursor" (ie. the vehicle) to move towards a certain direction - therefore the mouse is now worse?
    It's relative vs. absolute, it's always easier to pick something up and put it down where you want it to go than to tell someone "Pick that up and put it down over there. No, not there, there. There. No! THERE! WHERE I'M POINTING! LOOK AT WHERE I AM POINTING FOR FUCKS SAKE PUT IT DOWN just let me do it, you're useless" and that's basically the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post

True, with a pad you are controlling a derivative, not the position. But I think that additional 'mental layer' dissolves pretty fast. Excavators have the same control scheme. And it works very well after a relatively short period of adjustment. It's slower but it is also much more precise. You could reliably line up perfect shots with a pad every time but speed is the bigger issue in most FPS.

With racing games it's a bit different. Both mouse and pad input result in a change of direction. Mouse input is not as precise in that case because you probably have to move the lower arm. That means involving more muscles better suited to lift things instead of moving to a certain position.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Taking the excavator thing - one thing they can't easily to is turn around 180 degrees and 'quickly dig a whole there'

That's something you need to do in a game ;0

Network Hub
    Wouldn't the mouse/gamepad difference be more easily explained by the fact that you've got about, oh i dunno, 100 times more resolution from your mouse? We're talking about maybe 36 square inches vs 0.25 square inches of usable space. Regardless of how you handle things, that's going to be a problem.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Sometimes I wish for a game with a world like Skyrim. Vast, open and begging to be explored. No Fast Travel. Just occasional camp sites and bonfires at which a person can rest and save. Oh...and in this world, combat and magic work as they do in Dark Souls, not in Skyrim. In this world ruined castles dot the landscape and the crumbling statues of forgotten covenants rest in deep, dark mines, atop high, treacherous, snow-covered mountain passes and in the lairs of great beasts.

There are no quests here. Just a need to unlock the path that leads out of this dying place. Wherever that key lies. Now go find it. And along the way encounter NPC's desperate for your assistance - or perhaps the loot in your backpack. Trade with some, murder others and fend off attacks from still more. I think, basically, of Dark Souls in a truly open world setting.

The other dream is of an MMO. In this world reside the Humanoid races and Other. Humanoids are player controlled. They reside in Midgard one or some other such World of Humanoids.

The Human realm is a busy one. Players can build their own towns, keeps and castles. But they need supplies. To get them they must fell trees, mine for resources and then physically transport their resources back to a town to be smelted or otherwise shaped. Think EVE in a fantasy world here.

In this world players can run shops, become wandering traders, crafters or miners, etc. They can also become warriors and archers and even rogues, of a sort. Because in this world, betraying other humans for personal gain is allowed. Want a lot of wood or stone but dont want to wait for it? Raid a human caravan returning to the city with raw materials. But watch out for hired NPC guards - and human ones, too.

But other humans are not your main enemy. The Other - Giants, Shapeshifters, Soulless, Demons and more (maybe even the occasional Dragon) - all want the realm of Humans for their own. As such one or more factions is always raiding somewhere in the world of the humans. Berserkers from the realm of Ice might raid caravans or Demons raid a city. The Shapeshifters or the Soulless might send a sleeper agent into cities, pretending to be a harmless NPC. If the town has no (player controlled) professional monster slayers with the right skillset, might be no one to detect the covert raider.

The world would always be evolving in this game. No two days of play time would ever be the same.

As such the world has a few rules. To really die is fairly difficult. Losing one's health in combat would incur stat penalties, increasing in severity with each emptying of the bar. And the bar would grow progressively shorter with each death. To renew the full health bar the player would need to visit a healer and pay gold.

After five deaths, a player would fall down and die. That player now has 10 minutes for other players to help him to either an Apothecary or a Necromancer. Apothecaries will want gold - and being as its a player skill, likely a lot of it - to restore you. Of course, players could carry you to a Necromancer, as well, if they can find one such NPC. But this is forbidden and a criminal act. If another player has line of sight on your group when you visit one, and can report you within one real time hour of your doing so, well...its a steep gold payment in fines and increased distrust within the bounds of that keep, which means increased scrutiny from guards and shop keepers, even those hired by players to guard their stores and storehouses.

Cause...oh, yeah. That's another thing. Player inventory is limited to what you can carry in your pack, plus 2x 1H weapon, 1x 2H weapon, a bow, arrows and a dagger and 1 shield/buckler. You can only carry the armor you wear. Anything else needs a place for you to keep it. And those places can be robbed by other players. At any time. So do hire guards. Preferably the costlier ones with good vision and a sharp sword. And pay for good locksmiths, too. Takes money to make money and all that.

So yeah...this is a dream of mine. A living, evolving fantasy world online with player driven economics, guilds and alliances like in EVE. But with the added, near-constant pressure of NPC faction attacks and raids. Including attempts by NPC monster factions to establish hideouts in caves, old ruins, etc. I would only grant XP/progress for slaying non-human enemies. If you kill a player you would actually incur a penalty to same. I would not stop you from doing it; you would just need to weigh the hand of Karma against the wealth or prestige you might gain from doing the deed. Hopefully, this would prevent DayZ style griefing, since this would need to be a large, mega-shard world to work properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    used Dignitas because they thought it sounded cool and it probably means something in Latin.
    Stereotypical metalheads then.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Wouldn't the mouse/gamepad difference be more easily explained by the fact that you've got about, oh i dunno, 100 times more resolution from your mouse? We're talking about maybe 36 square inches vs 0.25 square inches of usable space. Regardless of how you handle things, that's going to be a problem.
    Well, that's the reason why a thumbstick controls speed whereas a mouse controls the position. Because then you don't need a resolution that high to do precise movements with a pad. So it's not really the issue, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Taking the excavator thing - one thing they can't easily to is turn around 180 degrees and 'quickly dig a whole there'

That's something you need to do in a game ;0
    So true. Although with one of these you could probably do some awkwardly slow backflips if you wanted to :D
    url.jpg