Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Taking the excavator thing - one thing they can't easily to is turn around 180 degrees and 'quickly dig a whole there'

That's something you need to do in a game ;0
    Ah, the old 180 no scoop, a majestic but rare sight to behold.

My shower thought of today: Why hasn't there been an indie equivalent to Metal Gear Solid yet? Or indeed any equivalent. Only without all the story, I mean (of course). The gameplay in MGS was so great, but... Yeah.

If you mean third person stealth there should be a few. Surely without movies. Not necessarily equivalents to mgs though.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    Ah, the old 180 no scoop, a majestic but rare sight to behold.

My shower thought of today: Why hasn't there been an indie equivalent to Metal Gear Solid yet? Or indeed any equivalent. Only without all the story, I mean (of course). The gameplay in MGS was so great, but... Yeah.
    The guy who made Thomas Was Alone is working on Volume which people are saying reminds them of the VR mission gameplay of MGS.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Actually thats a good point, why hasn't there been any decent third person stealth game since Chaos Theory? Don't listen to those people that want action, they are not stealth fans!

Oh, the top down tracking camera one from that mgs. You couldn't see what snake was supposed to see until he took cover
    Last edited by Wenz; 25-07-2014 at 12:40 PM.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I can answer any "why hasn't there been a good [insert specific genre] game since XXX" generally, I think.

It's because all the big studios/publishers are obsessed with cramming every genre into every game - there's no interest or motivation to make a good [xxx] game when they can make some wide-ranging, low-aimed Tutti-Frutti bullshit.

See that EA/Bioware teaser-trailer today - NFS: Mirrors Slenderman Edge - or almost anything else out there (as I said in the "Crew" thread, there will be a stealth/parkour section for cars in there somewhere for sure!)

Niche games - games which simply focus on one thing - are the preserve of solo developers and small teams now. Everyone else is putting anchovies in with the strawberries and balsamic vinegar...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Sad but true, all Big Blockbuster games now a days seem very homogenised. I mean just look what they did with Hitman!

Should've been more specific about bitching the lack of tps games without covers system, zoomsight, overshoulder, "drifting" etc but then again such games are not meant to be multiplatforms with the exception of hotline miami. And tps games are generally hated online (that's where I played a lot of them though). damn you classic location damage go back to ut99:(
    Last edited by Wenz; 25-07-2014 at 04:38 PM.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    If Dundee is as influential in the games industry as it likes to claim, why has no developer of city builder games ever looked at it and gone, "Whoops, I guess it is possible to build roads up steep inclines!"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    If Dundee is as influential in the games industry as it likes to claim, why has no developer of city builder games ever looked at it and gone, "Whoops, I guess it is possible to build roads up steep inclines!"
    Are we agreeing that roller coaster tycoon doesn't count :p
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I mean just look what they did with Hitman!
    It's annoying because absolution had flashes of brilliance (take the sniper mission free DLC or the Corn Field as a moment of catharsis).
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Actually thats a good point, why hasn't there been any decent third person stealth game since Chaos Theory? Don't listen to those people that want action, they are not stealth fans!
    Not the Robots is an excellent and pure stealth game which can burgeon into the frantic at times but you are not a fighter.

I disagree that making the player dangerous disarms the stealth. Chaos theory had an accurate scoped assault rifle, but it was awkward to use so it gets discounted. Conviction's Deniable Ops Infiltration mode was an excellent zero tolerance stealth game.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 26-07-2014 at 02:56 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

The very first Deus Ex too supports ninja action through the stealth build and JC still sucks at taking bullets
    post in progress

Quote Originally Posted by theForged View Post
    If we're talking gaming pipedreams, I've got this one about a Puzzle Game, set in Space. [...]
    I like that idea. Go on, please. :)
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I disagree that making the player dangerous disarms the stealth. Chaos theory had an accurate scoped assault rifle, but it was awkward to use so it gets discounted. Conviction's Deniable Ops Infiltration mode was an excellent zero tolerance stealth game.
    A lot of it is personal preference, and I am quite aware that no-one gives a shit what I like, but I do prefer games that make me deal with it when I fuck up my stealth, rather than games that make me reload when I fuck up my stealth.

I really loved Dishonoured for that. Yes, you could go the hack and slash route and ignore stealth anyway, but playing it as a stealth game was pretty much necessary to get the 'good' ending. And I noticed something interesting happening. When I was spotted, I didn't kill everyone in sight even though I totally could, but instead decided to try to escape.

Now I do think Dishonoured could have encouraged me not to kill everyone in a better way (like, actual dialogue in the game rather than loading screen tips), but the point is that rather than saying I couldn't kill everyone, it did encourage me not to. It gave me an option, and made me aware of what the consequences of that option would be. And I found that far more interesting than not having the option and having to play the game the 'right' way.

It seemed like Deus Ex had the same idea, but didn't finish it. Head-on combat wasn't good enough to make it a true 'choice', and whether you chose combat or stealth didn't actually have any real consequence past the first couple of missions.

Activated Node
    Some people play videogames as if they were bananas, others as if they were rubiks cubes, and few realize a progamer is a combination of a mechanic and a nascar driver

Best Regards,
    RG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardGamingo View Post
    Some people play videogames as if they were bananas, others as if they were rubiks cubes, and few realize a progamer is a combination of a mechanic and a nascar driver

Best Regards,
    RG
    I would replace mechanic with mountain climbing, but that is a great analogy!
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh, the top down tracking camera one from that mgs. You couldn't see what snake was supposed to see until he took cover
    Or you could press triangle for quick FPP glance. Now this makes me wanna play MGS3: Subsistence (they implemented sane TPP camera in this version), but I can't get decent FPS rate on emulator. :/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    One can recreate Outrun by coding an app in Assetto Corsa.

That is all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That raises very important questions.

Where the fuck is new Outrun and why the fuck no one is making it? :x
    Hell, I could even live with OR 2006 remake with just graphics pumped up to current standards (Forza/Drive Club/etc.).

Do I get a classic convertible ferrari, branching paths and a blond passenger cheering me on..?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I know it's a heresy, but I'd like to have some old muscle cars with modified turbochargers (to better chase that Ferraris) in new Outrun.