Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar

The Crew: MMO, USA, FBI, NSA?, ...

Is anyone on the beta, other than me? It's under NDA, so we can't talk about it.

I'm talking instead about Test Drive Unlimited 3. You hear that, Ubisoft?
    An MMO where the world is a compressed version of the United States. It's an open world and you can drive around freely.

As for the driving, it seems to be a mix of Shift 2 and Driver San Francisco, leaning to the latter. There's a cockpit view, so all the other views are irrelevant. The servers are holding up, a bit empty, I guess they are starting to rollout the beta now.
    As a MMO-phobic, looks great to me. The download is 13GB, but after downloading the first 3GB, you can start playing right away.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    TDU2 had a weird driving model, but it was actually a rather interesting game. I'm not in the beta, but I'd still would like to hear impressions about that new one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    If I hear a game has an NDA it actually makes me stop giving a shit about it... forever.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    If I hear a game has an NDA it actually makes me stop giving a shit about it... forever.
    Are there games without NDA?
    I'm in the beta too (even forgot about it), but I just realized I don't wanna download 15 GB right now since I'm getting my new laptop in the next days. Plus it expires on the 25th, which annoys me greatly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I should correct myself, if they are asking for money and have an NDA.
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    a mix of Shift 2 and Driver San Francisco
    That sounds hot.
    It's going to be all microtransactioned upside the head though.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 22-07-2014 at 11:53 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I've got access, I haven't downloaded it yet though. I'm neema_t on uPlay in case anyone wants people to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    That sounds hot.
    It's going to be all microtransactioned upside the head though.
    Indeed, probably. Paying 25k bucks for a RAD paint job, and the car only cost twice that. There's also Crew Creds or something, that seems to be the thing that costs real money.
    However, with not-randoms it seems like it should be really neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Prolar Bear View Post
    Plus it expires on the 25th, which annoys me greatly.
    What?! Well, it's not like I need to sleep anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I've got access, I haven't downloaded it yet though. I'm neema_t on uPlay in case anyone wants people to play with.
    Excelent, I'll add you soon enough.

I have screenshots, but they are probably steganographed to hell, I'll refrain from posting. Only when the NDA lifts.

I really don't have anything bad to say. It feels slick, the physics are a bit floaty, but nothing a small tweak to the gravity can't fix. Or perhaps they are going for the flashy, Driver San Fran route, which would please me greatly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I couldn't possibly say that the way they've implemented the 'GPS route' is kinda weird and freaky and the 'neck snapping' you get from Nitrous is just bloody stupid.

Nope - I didn't say anything about that - nor the fact that in a resolute single-player cut-scene, the server being restarted resulted in the video stopping and me being hurled back to the menu either

Nope - neither of those things apply to any game other than TDU3 perhaps

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Is it under NDA? Giantbomb threw out a video on it, but they might have got permission. It seems fun, and as they say on the video, there is no Need For Speed this year, so could fill a gap.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm in the beta if you want anyone else for Thursday/Friday. I've greatly enjoyed just bombing around the singleplayer - minor glitches, UI annoyances and what seems like a silly plot are the only criticisms I could really level at it (though the CG is damned good, I'll give it that). It's a good deal of what I like about arcade racers married with the best of Ubisoft's open world template, or so first impressions seem to indicate. The Driver: San Francisco is strong with this one, for sure, and I'd count that as one of my favourite games of all time. November can't come soon enough.

Anyway, I'm EightRooks - no space - on Uplay as well. I certainly wouldn't mind giving the multiplayer a shot, even at this early stage.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I couldn't possibly say that the way they've implemented the 'GPS route' is kinda weird and freaky and the 'neck snapping' you get from Nitrous is just bloody stupid.

Nope - I didn't say anything about that - nor the fact that in a resolute single-player cut-scene, the server being restarted resulted in the video stopping and me being hurled back to the menu either

Nope - neither of those things apply to any game other than TDU3 perhaps
    I like the GPS thingy. It's fresh and innovative. They should put that thing in real cars. THe nitrous neck snap is just show off. Don't play in cockpit view then.
    Single-Player doesn't really apply here, it's a purely MMO thing. Which saddens me, but what can we do?

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    I'm in the beta if you want anyone else for Thursday/Friday. I've greatly enjoyed just bombing around the singleplayer - minor glitches, UI annoyances and what seems like a silly plot are the only criticisms I could really level at it (though the CG is damned good, I'll give it that). It's a good deal of what I like about arcade racers married with the best of Ubisoft's open world template, or so first impressions seem to indicate. The Driver: San Francisco is strong with this one, for sure, and I'd count that as one of my favourite games of all time. November can't come soon enough.

Anyway, I'm EightRooks - no space - on Uplay as well. I certainly wouldn't mind giving the multiplayer a shot, even at this early stage.
    I'm up for it.

I played some races today with randoms and I have to say the lag is bearable. The fact that you can ram other people's cars, even during missions if I'm not wrong, will create much grief, I presume.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I did have a bit of fun when heading for an event and it threw me and some other folk into a slalom competition - but I can imagine things like that could get a bit wearing too...

I was sort-of hoping for a polished-up Driver SF here but I'm getting more of a NFS: Wannabe+RPG vibe - sadly...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I like the GPS thingy. It's fresh and innovative. They should put that thing in real cars. THe nitrous neck snap is just show off. Don't play in cockpit view then.
    Single-Player doesn't really apply here, it's a purely MMO thing. Which saddens me, but what can we do?

I'm up for it.

I played some races today with randoms and I have to say the lag is bearable. The fact that you can ram other people's cars, even during missions if I'm not wrong, will create much grief, I presume.
    I couldn't really work out how to start actual multi, though admittedly I wasn't trying that hard. Saw some people driving around in my game (or my instance or whatever it is) every now and then but they were mostly miles away (I did warp to the Mojave and watched a few playing with the cops at one point, while the sun came up. That was neat). Had one group spawn on top of me just outside the main HQ but I actually wanted to give the missions a shot at that point.

And I am sure that there'll be some people who work out all sorts of inventive ways to raise hell (if they're not doing it already). Still, I am actually interested in the multi as well as the missions and the free-roaming, which is a rarity for me - then again, Driver SF's multi was brilliant, one of the few games I really enjoyed playing online (still wildly impressed they actually worked shifting into it). Hopefully The Crew doesn't end up as under-rated.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I was sort-of hoping for a polished-up Driver SF here but I'm getting more of a NFS: Wannabe+RPG vibe - sadly...
    I'll say it again, just because - Driver SF was/is one of my favourite games of all time, and as far as I'm concerned, even from a day or so mucking around with an incomplete version this is shaping up to be a more than worthy successor. (Sadly not in terms of the plot, it seems, but eh.) Sorry I can't think of a subtler way to put this, but going by your comments on the front page I think the main issue here is you're just really, really averse to however AAA games are doing things at the moment.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 24-07-2014 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    I couldn't really work out how to start actual multi, though admittedly I wasn't trying that hard. Saw some people driving around in my game (or my instance or whatever it is) every now and then but they were mostly miles away (I did warp to the Mojave and watched a few playing with the cops at one point, while the sun came up. That was neat). Had one group spawn on top of me just outside the main HQ but I actually wanted to give the missions a shot at that point.
    If you have a "crew"(party), you must start mission with randoms. Just pick the "Play Online" or something, it's the first option when you actually start missions on the real spot.

I didn't play Driver SF online, I just spent an entire summer in the campaign. But I will.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I didn't play Driver SF online, I just spent an entire summer in the campaign. But I will.
    I didn't play much of it, but I got through a fair few races. Shifting worked really, really well in a multiplayer context, for the most part. I was going back to the game before I had to reinstall Windows the other day - I should see if the multiplayer is still going at all. (I had it on PS3, originally.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm not actually averse to AAA gaming as such - I'm averse to the "pack everything into the game regardless of whether it works or not because we need EVERYONE to buy it" mentality which UBIsoft are positively crippled by.

I'm a bigger fan of progress XP/levelling/achievements/side missions and that sort of stuff than most people are but we've gone beyond the point where the hailstorm of shit they throw at you in these games has any point or purpose (some time ago - in fact)

The comments above - people not sure how to start multiplayer races etc - all come from the fact that they've put so much stuff in there, no-one wanted to take the job of 'sorting it out into some sort of order'

To steal my 'fast food = AAA gaming' analogy from the front-page thread - balsamic vinegar is lovely but I don't want it on my Strawberries and Cream - plz - thx

p.s. £50 says someone tried to get some sort of stealth and/or parkour aspect into this - perhaps they even did? :)

p.p.s. I didn't play Driver:SF online because it NEVER EVER WORKED FOR ME - not even after 3 re-installs on 3 different PCs over a period of 2+ years and I've had a support ticket open for it the whole of that time without getting a single useful reply (tho I keep reminding them of this!)
    Last edited by trjp; 24-07-2014 at 02:30 AM.

Activated Node
    Haven't had time to play much unfortunately, a weekend would have been nice, but it seems pretty cool.

The one thing I wanted when I first read about this game was the ability to just drive from coast-to-coast, picking impromptu Smokey and the Bandit chases with cops, and you pretty much can! It was a great feeling to set the GPS to LA and make my way from Chicago, through snowy mountains, down through the Nevada desert. From a purely driving around aspect, it felt essentially like GTAV/San Andreas extrapolated over the whole US, which is something I've always wanted. The illusion started to fall apart when I realised there aren't many options to go off the beaten track or many side roads, it's really just the same road-racing courses we've always had stiched together, but it does work, and there's a fair number of cites and towns that are more open.

But my god, this game really seals the deal on 'Ubisoft Game' being an actual genre now though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
    Haven't had time to play much unfortunately, a weekend would have been nice, but it seems pretty cool.

The one thing I wanted when I first read about this game was the ability to just drive from coast-to-coast, picking impromptu Smokey and the Bandit chases with cops, and you pretty much can! It was a great feeling to set the GPS to LA and make my way from Chicago, through snowy mountains, down through the Nevada desert. From a purely driving around aspect, it felt essentially like GTAV/San Andreas extrapolated over the whole US, which is something I've always wanted. The illusion started to fall apart when I realised there aren't many options to go off the beaten track or many side roads, it's really just the same road-racing courses we've always had stiched together, but it does work, and there's a fair number of cites and towns that are more open.

But my god, this game really seals the deal on 'Ubisoft Game' being an actual genre now though.
    Uh, set your car to Dirt spec (ideally) and just turn off the road whenever you want? There's not much out there at the moment since they've only put missions in two areas out of eight (I think) and side activities in about one and a half, but there are jumps and target smashing activities off-road already, at least. I can't say how effective or consistently entertaining or whatever it'll be in the long run, mind, but they do seem to be trying to prompt you to properly explore.

Even if there aren't that many things hidden off the roads I'm not too bothered about it at this stage. Driver SF didn't have off-road as such but there were great stretches of the city map you hardly ever needed to visit - if that - and yet I kept going back, and going back, and going back to mop up the challenges and collectibles and so on because I was enjoying it that much. I'm thinking, even from this quick look at the beta, that Reflections definitely seem to have given the TDU guys some pointers on how to get that aspect right.