Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Uh, set your car to Dirt spec (ideally) and just turn off the road whenever you want? There's not much out there at the moment since they've only put missions in two areas out of eight (I think) and side activities in about one and a half, but there are jumps and target smashing activities off-road already, at least. I can't say how effective or consistently entertaining or whatever it'll be in the long run, mind, but they do seem to be trying to prompt you to properly explore.

Even if there aren't that many things hidden off the roads I'm not too bothered about it at this stage. Driver SF didn't have off-road as such but there were great stretches of the city map you hardly ever needed to visit - if that - and yet I kept going back, and going back, and going back to mop up the challenges and collectibles and so on because I was enjoying it that much. I'm thinking, even from this quick look at the beta, that Reflections definitely seem to have given the TDU guys some pointers on how to get that aspect right.
    I don't like dirt spec because it makes cockpit view harder to use, you can only see the corn. You play the game on the mini-map, basically. Good thing you can increase its size.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Activated Node
    Uh, set your car to Dirt spec (ideally) and just turn off the road whenever you want? There's not much out there at the moment since they've only put missions in two areas out of eight (I think) and side activities in about one and a half, but there are jumps and target smashing activities off-road already, at least. I can't say how effective or consistently entertaining or whatever it'll be in the long run, mind, but they do seem to be trying to prompt you to properly explore.

Even if there aren't that many things hidden off the roads I'm not too bothered about it at this stage. Driver SF didn't have off-road as such but there were great stretches of the city map you hardly ever needed to visit - if that - and yet I kept going back, and going back, and going back to mop up the challenges and collectibles and so on because I was enjoying it that much. I'm thinking, even from this quick look at the beta, that Reflections definitely seem to have given the TDU guys some pointers on how to get that aspect right.
    Yeah, after going to some flatter farmland areas, I was surprised by just how far off the beaten track you could go. I'm impressed.

Network Hub
    I'm trying to play this, but 17 attempts in I still haven't beaten the first race and it's unskippable.

If I have to see that video intro one more time I'm going to punch a river otter in the face.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    It looks OK, and the open world thing is cool.

I really, really like the Driver series (I even enjoyed Parallel Lines and Driv3r... lol), but I don't get the same feeling from this one. The GB video seemed a little underwhelming too. Much wide bends and such. I like arcadey but I dunno. The way the driving looked in Watch Dogs also put me off, but then again I didn't really like the look of anything in that game lol.

I dunno, I don't really like Ubisoft's AAA/big budget output very much in general.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bismarck View Post
    I'm trying to play this, but 17 attempts in I still haven't beaten the first race and it's unskippable.

If I have to see that video intro one more time I'm going to punch a river otter in the face.
    Repeating a video should be a crime punishable by being submerged in cow poo...

To beat it tho - pull gas, point car at flag - ignore everything else.

Trees don't stop you - water doesn't stop you - ignore the cops - try to hit the helicopter if you're flying.

It's really a quicktime event where you DON'T HIT ANY BUTTONS AT ALL DESPITE WANTING TO

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    To beat it tho - pull gas, point car at flag - ignore everything else.
    Wait. That's how you make a car go fast?

The problem I'm having isn't knowing which pedal to press - there's a sticky thread on the forum that's now almost 20 pages deep of people who can't complete the first mission. UBI's official response right now is "turn down your resolution... because... reasons"... which didn't work, as I expected as my machine will happily run Assetto Corsa and Grid Autosport and others without issue.

I did finally get through it, with a James Bond-style 00:00.01 on the clock, but then two missions later I have to take some ugly dude to a bridge and I can't get closer than a mile in the time limit, I presume for the same reason 20 pages of people can't get through mission one.

The video intro to that part is mercifully short. Which is good, or I'd fill a biscuit tin with bees, shake it and send to Ubi Newcastle.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bismarck View Post
    Wait. That's how you make a car go fast?

The problem I'm having isn't knowing which pedal to press - there's a sticky thread on the forum that's now almost 20 pages deep of people who can't complete the first mission. UBI's official response right now is "turn down your resolution... because... reasons"... which didn't work, as I expected as my machine will happily run Assetto Corsa and Grid Autosport and others without issue.

I did finally get through it, with a James Bond-style 00:00.01 on the clock, but then two missions later I have to take some ugly dude to a bridge and I can't get closer than a mile in the time limit, I presume for the same reason 20 pages of people can't get through mission one.

The video intro to that part is mercifully short. Which is good, or I'd fill a biscuit tin with bees, shake it and send to Ubi Newcastle.
    Strange. Still, it is a beta, and I'd hesitate to level that against the game (as opposed to Ubisoft's QA department). I don't doubt it's not working out for you and all those other people, but seriously, if the game and your PC are playing together nicely it's practically impossible to lose that mission. (I can see how any problems there would automatically make later missions a nightmare/literally impossible, though.)

Network Hub
    Yes. The fact the scenery doesn't really exist means it should be impossible to fail that mission. I presume something UBI's QA department has(n't) done results in some combination of low top speed, low acceleration and bad handling that makes the mission: impossible.

Of course, other design decisions are stacking on top of this problem - right now I'm locked into delivering that guy to the bridge, because when I fail, it loops me back to the guy getting in my car again, ready for me to fail again. There's no abort/defer mission option. There is no escape.

I could restart the whole thing to break the loop, but then I'm back to watching Alex off-road through a field of incorporeal horses again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Those three or four missions form the prologue, after which you get a "5 years later" popup and the game proper begins. There's no skipping the missions as they only exist to give you the story exposition. Once they fix whatever technical issue it is you're having, that little section is over in a couple of minutes and you never go back there again. Obviously you can say "Well it should all have been a cutscene!" but I'm assuming that technical issue would still have killed your progress sooner or later (there's another "Get from A to B" mission fairly early on with a time limit I found nearly impossible without taking some pretty drastic shortcuts).

I dunno, I'm just feeling tetchy since the comments on Kotaku for this make Baby Jesus cry. I won't even go into the criticisms of the handling (which are all wrong, so nyah) but Jesus god damned Christ, people, you are not going to get a realistic sim racer with a flawless 1-1 recreation of the entire US for a good few more years yet, and I question whether any publisher would back it or any Kickstarter campaign be able to support it. It's an iconic representation of the country that's not trying to be remotely realistic - why so bloody serious? It's like me writing some ten-thousand word essay asking how dare Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves play fast and loose with English geography, for God's sake - starting from a relatively sensible premise but banging on for far too long for no good reason at all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    It's like me writing some ten-thousand word essay asking how dare Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves play fast and loose with English geography, for God's sake - starting from a relatively sensible premise but banging on for far too long for no good reason at all.
    That's a bad comparison. That film was atrocious despite being historically stupid. Alan Rickman saved his scenes, but the rest...
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?