Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

RPS, RTRS, and identity

Hey! So, reading through the recent server smash thread, it seems like there are some differences in the Miller community in regards to how our two outfits are viewed. Some view us as two distinct outfits, some as one, some as just a big community, etc. And I know that there are differences in how we view ourselves as well. This lead me to think a bit about our identity.

So I am just wondering, purely out of curiosity, how you all view RPS and RTRS. Do you think it's two distinct outfits with no connection? Two with overlaps in players? Two with a common community and similar values? One big community with two different outfits for different factions? Etc. etc.

I would also like to ask you (yes, you. The person reading this right now) to write your reply before reading the other replies in the thread, to avoid influences from others. Even though it is possible someone else has said what you wanted to say, I'd still like to read your own words.

I would also like to point out that this isn't official or will be used for anything, I'm simply curious to hear others opinions. And since we're talking about opinions, remember that there is no right or wrong here. So let's avoid arguing about whether a person is correct or not.

Thank you for your time, and I'm looking forward to reading what people think.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Two distinct outfits with membership overlap. We're distinct from each other in every other aspect, though it's most telling from membership pruning policy. That being said the only time I've been on my VS character has been as a part of CCEU training and as I understand that makes me an outlier, at least of the people who tend to post here.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think anyone that cares whether two in-game outfits are 'outfits' or 'communities' or people sitting around in their underwear is taking the whole thing too seriously.

They are separate outfits. I play for RPS solely, and only participate in threads that are related to RPS - if there's an RTRS thread I don't even read it. Yes, we share a forum, but being different factions make it hard to argue we are the same. If RTRS were also VS then it'd be a different issue.

I also understand that there is some level of overlap between memberships, but leaders and policies are totally separate. That's also valid, as anybody can join multiple outfits by creating extra characters.

1 Community: Rock Paper Shotgun.
    2 Oufits.
    Live, Learn, Laugh, Love.
    Never Fear Love.
    DTP. Grace.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Personally, RPS was the outfit I joined. RPS the outfit is what kept me playing PS2, as well as coming back to it after periods when I for one reason or another couldn't play. I have an NC alt, and I play on it every once in a blue moon. But in game, it's really all about VS for me. In-game, I see them as very distinct entities with almost no overlap whatsoever (despite some members being the same).

Out of game, it's a completely different thing. When on the forum, talking with people, or playing other game I see absolutely no differences. I don't have the RPS/RTRS distinction here. I read all threads I think are interesting (which is most, to be honest) including the ones geared solely towards RTRS. When I propose trainings, activities, or whatever I do it for everyone, no matter faction belonging. And it's not that I try to include people from both factions, I don't even consider that there is a difference.

So in my mind, in-game outfits and out-of-game community is two completely separate things. Which is a bit weird when I think about it, but it also makes sense. I guess it has evolved during our cooperation in CCEU and different training things. Which is funny, because I can remember a time when I saw RTRS members as rivals in-game. Now, I take the same pleasure in killing someone with the RTRS tag as I do in shooting Lakroy in the face and then reviving him straight away (that is to say, I enjoy it a lot). It is a weird mix, with distinct boundaries. I guess that's how I'd describe it.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    One community(RPS) 2 outfits(RPS for VS, RTRS for NC). Whenever I find the RTRS I will hunt them to the fullest extent, especially when I'm playing with outfits like VCBC, then I will try and whip up some vile hatred for "Those filthy Traitors[its in your name!!]" .

I keep in character at all times when interacting with RTRS as VS.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

I refer to us as "cousins".

We have similar outlooks but with some quite large differences in policy and behaviour. I play almost exclusively RPS, but I do sometimes go run with the Traitors when I'm in that mood or there's nothing going in the RPS channels. I suspect most of us have more than one character and that the two outfits share a lot more players than any two other given cross faction outfits, but that is cos of community and feel. I suspect many people have other characters in neither outfit - some people might even play TR....

I consider myself a Vet, Loudmouth and regular SL with RPS, there is no way I would want to lead a RTRS squad, I'm a common grunt in that outfit. There are two completely different command groups. Different faction, play style, rank structure, tactical doctrine etc etc.

Springing from the RPS website community the players were always going to have similar attitudes out of game - we read the site, we share similar interests and opinions, I'm really in it for the banter both on and off of mumble. I would say that the only ingame overlap we've ever had was the CCEU. In that we just accepted entries from both outfits to make up numbers (we probably shouldn't have really - but it was all about community!)

So yeah - separate outfits who out of game share the same club house. But I can't think of a single time we've been communicating in game (except to /tell insults or jokes) or working together - much as it would have been funny - perhaps we should try that!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I think it's been tried in the past, but whenever our two outfits are in the same hex we have a habit of forgetting about objectives and just start blowing each other up instead.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Grible View Post
    So yeah - separate outfits who out of game share the same club house. But I can't think of a single time we've been communicating in game (except to /tell insults or jokes) or working together - much as it would have been funny - perhaps we should try that!
    We did it at least once, for a silly monday. It included mass max melee fights, a pistol duel between Cooper and Waffly, and both outfits fighting together to stop a TR assault on the base way out in the middle of nowhere we were doing our shenanigans at.

It was quite epic (and hard not to shoot the NC characters out of habit).
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Hoc View Post
    We did it at least once, for a silly monday. It included mass max melee fights, a pistol duel between Cooper and Waffly, and both outfits fighting together to stop a TR assault on the base way out in the middle of nowhere we were doing our shenanigans at.

It was quite epic (and hard not to shoot the NC characters out of habit).
    It was a friday, Corperations need to work on mondays and have no time for fun :P
    Steam: Dominicus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Haven't read any of the other replies yet:

In the past I definitely would have said two completely separate outfits that share a lot of members. But since the combined Rock Paper Shotgun CCEU team, joint training etc it seems that there has been a bit more crossover. Now I'm not so sure, when there are more joint events than non-joint events and RTRS members seem to join in with most RPS-centered discussions and stuff on the forums it's harder to say we are completely separate. I guess in game we are still two distinct outfits, but the lines are definitely shifting around a bit since CCEU. Which isn't a bad thing! But it does seem like a good idea to evaluate and clarify exactly how the two outfits stand in relation to each other.

I see them as two distinct outfits because there is separate leadership and the 'core' regulars of each are different sets of people feel they primarily belong to one or other outfit. There are a lot of people in each which don't use the forums and so I think our forum community is far more united and any conversation that is not outfit specific is joined in by all.

There are multiple levels of community: we are part of the RockPaperShotgun (website) community (and both distinct outfits are part of that), and our two outfits have a mini community within that because we have in common the love of the same game.

Not sure if that all makes sense.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Well with my history... And my personal investment for RTRS to be seen as independant entity, it should be clear, what my views are.

Giraffes, RTRS and RPS.com are almost three different things. Yes, giraffes and RTRS hail from RPS.com, but I quickly stopped enjoying playing with giraffes soon after launch, may it be that it's VS and I don't like toy guns. May it be because I just did't feel like playing under mass that was Rock Planet Shotgun at the time. May it be, that RTRS members were more to my taste and I felt better connection to them. I don't know. Nor do I care to know. Same roots maybe, not truly same fruits in the end.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

No, no, no. This is just INI bitching about not having an infantry squad in the the clash. Nothing more.

RPS [VS] was created at: 03:19 PM on 2012-11-20 by Cooper

&

RTRS [NC] was created at: 11:12 AM on 2012-11-21 by Wafflynumber

For 4 months shy of 2 years they have both had: their own unique ops-nights, members, community style and identities. There have even been events in which the outfits would actively "hunt" or "de-traitorize" each other to greater fuel a rivalry that has run parallel to their existence. Sure we have alts. But i rarely play on mine and it's not like we all jump ship at the same time and abuse some sort of system.

If someone does their homework before they make a flippant and ignorant comment then that would be abundantly clear. Anyone who does not understand or recognize the facts above is automatically invalidated when expressing their opinions about our respective identities, or that of [Rock, Paper Shotgun - Planetside 2]
    Last edited by NickWhite; 23-07-2014 at 03:21 PM.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's not even that, it's one guy from INI (and a new recruit at that). Though MCY seem to have waded in (and I suspect slightly brigaded the voting)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    In terms of the history, and as I understand it, [RPS] emerged out of the forum community, with myself and a couple others in the tech test and beta whilst [RTRS] was largely driven by the Steam chat community.

For most of the closed beta the number of people in the Rock Paper Shotgun community playing PS2 was fairly small and so pretty much everyone had one VS and one NC character and played with whoever was online at the time.

By the time of open beta we were seperate entities though, with differing regulars.

The seperation of outfits solidified upon release when multiple characters on the same server was not allowed. We both chose Miller as the home of ex-Werner outfits, and all players had to make a choice of which outfit they put their lot in with.

The removal of that rule meant that many people created an Alt with the 'other' outfit. I, for one, really missed Fridays with the NC lot and so was pleased when that happened. Though I still don't play with [RTRS] as much as I'd like as Fridays are not the best day for me.

I think it's fair to say that, for a long time, [RPS] was much larger than [RTRS] and thus had a greater presence both in the game and in public things like the Call to Arms. Because of this there was a perception, outside of the community, that [RTRS] was an 'offshoot' of [RPS] rather than an entity in itself.

I think it's also fair to say that is really not the case anymore. [RTRS] is far exceeding [RPS] in recruitment and many nights, not just Friday, you'll see as many and more people in [RTRS] channels as in [RPS] channels. But the old perception persists and could do with some challenging.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    RTRS ftw!

I don't mingle with the feeble Giraffes and their silly water guns :P

And Death to the Elmos!!!!111

I don't really get what the deal is anyway. Fun game is PlanetSide 2.

To me, it's like 2 sports teams in the same city who have a friendly rivalry. We are from the same community, and at times, behave as one entity. But when the team colours go on.... Bragging rights are everything. I for one, as a PL, forget about objectives when RTRS are in the same area of operations.... It becomes a pure manhunt. I have yet to hear any objection from any platoon member (including RTRS players on guest appearances) about the sudden abandonment of any game related goal for the platoon.
    Live, Learn, Laugh, Love.
    Never Fear Love.
    DTP. Grace.