Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Kinda split my time between the 2 RPS, outfits, where my mood takes me. For me its playing with people that i enjoy sharing the experience with, and in the RPS community there are a number of those in both outfits (but never a TR one).
    GW2: fersumengin, Ulstermen
    Planetside 2: Fersumengin, (VS) Fersumengine (NC)
    Steam: RNC100
    Wildstar: Fersumengin
    Battlenet: rnc100 1317

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I love both equally. But I love RTRS a bit more because they are from the freedom fighter faction, and because sometimes I find fun videos on youtube made by this guy (Aram?) and they are hilarious, and are so fun that they make me feel I want to be part of that group of people.

I have played PS2 like 700 hours, and thats enough for me, so I am not going to play it, except in special events. It looks like RTRS organize events better (perhaps because they are the smaller group) while RPS organize bigger events (because..err.. they are big). So they are like complementary.

Full disclosure type of comment:
    I am a lonewolf. I love vehicles, and generally is just after I get a sundy that one official say in ventrilo "Lets redeploy to X" where X is on the other side of the map. I like what I do, and I like to be a lonewolf. So is hard to have a opinion from the inside these two groups of people. They look cool from the outside. Also I love to murder RPS guys.

I view both outfits as separate entities with a "unique" relationship. No other group of outfits has quite the same level of cooperation as us. We train together, we share ideas, we both represent this community in-game and in many cases we share players.

The key difference however comes from 2 things, the obvious matter of faction choice (Freedom>spandex), and the general philosophy of each outfit. I wont go into details, but the practice of member culling speaks for itself.

At the end of the day, we're here to play Planetside, not to take things deadly serious. Anyone who bitches about RPS being two outfits or complains about placement in events should just be ignored.

P.S. The rival fights that arise when platoons from RTRS and RPS meet are hilariously intense, best part of planetside
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayam
    Everything is a thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laldy View Post
    To me, it's like 2 sports teams in the same city who have a friendly rivalry. We are from the same community, and at times, behave as one entity. But when the team colours go on.... Bragging rights are everything. I for one, as a PL, forget about objectives when RTRS are in the same area of operations.... It becomes a pure manhunt. I have yet to hear any objection from any platoon member (including RTRS players on guest appearances) about the sudden abandonment of any game related goal for the platoon.
    Which one of us is ManU and which one is Liverpool then? :P

Is TR Everton?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have to say that even I go for RTRS as priority when I'm playing vanu!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Yepos. 2 outfits, 1 community, much crossover, wow.
    Steam: basicpaul | Origin: BasicPaul

One community, two outfits, (some) shared players.

I see no reason why their couldn't be a TR outfit too, if anyone was awful enough to want one

The only reason I see any of this being an issue is when it comes to entering ourselves into things. I can see why it might be a problem for other folk if we're entering ourselves into something under the community banner sometimes, separate outfit banners others. It's not a problem to me, as we are a community and we do share some members, training, forums and whatnot. Having said that, it doesn't mean we don't have different identities as outfits.

Basically, in the great big Rock Paper Shotgun family, we're the two siblings who play PS2. Sometimes we join forces to take on the other kids, sometimes we go head to head with some good old fashioned sibling rivalry. We're not twins though.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I think the best way to answer this is by pointing out that I tried to make my RTRS alt as insulting as humanly possible.
    Not, you know, that I had much to work with.
    Disclaimer:
    Sometimes I get a bit manic and then I talk too much and wall-of-text a lot.
    This rarely lasts for more than a week or so at a time. Feel free to ignore any and all walls of text at your leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    One community, two outfits, (some) shared players.
    its been said by laldy and some others as well, but this is the most important thing to take away.

Also, we do IRL meets where everyone is welcome, which is always a blast. I cant remember if DukeofChutney stayed until after the sunday (where we were all huddled in the pub, playing The Resistance), but thats just it, RTRS and RPS have fun together, as frenemies, part of the same community.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    Which one of us is ManU and which one is Liverpool then? :P

Is TR Everton?
    Celtic and Rangers. TR are collateral damage ...Or Partick Thistle Fans
    Live, Learn, Laugh, Love.
    Never Fear Love.
    DTP. Grace.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Different things to different people, I think.
    Some people play fairly often on both sides. Some only come across for the occasional do.
    Some don't at all.
    Some only when we need to team up for the sake of numbers (CC, ServerSmash etc).

I err, don't have any clear feelings on it I guess.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just to clarify (I think I was a bit unclear and people seem a bit confused), I don't care at all about what people said in regards to the server smash or whether this is a problem or not. It's simply one of the things that got me thinking about. No one cares about what the one person from INI thinks, least of all me.

But I have to say that I find people's answers very interesting. It's very much the same ideas, with different degrees of elaboration.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Activated Node
    i sort of view the 2 outfits as a pair of siblings. very closely related, but at the end of the day their own entity. not everyone in RTRS plays RPS and vice a verse so they are not the same. however i wonder if we did more open platoons then we might show the other people what we are actually like as from my perspective its very hard to know anything about us unless we accidentally leave recruitment open to the public as we never do this on purpose.
    now i shall go and read all the posts.

Ok, when I first got here I just assumed everyone was a Purple Giraffe, so life was simple.. and silly.
    But after hanging around some, I began to realize that there were several people who clearly and openly had another side to their character. An NC side.
    I thought it odd, at first, but soon I didn't think of it at all. (I still have problems remembering who the "traitors" are.. well, except for Bankrotas, for some reason.)
    Then, I decided to go to school.
    I will say, I found myself a bit resentful of cross faction training (when it was hosted by NC.) And yet, I'm quite sure a couple of my favorite teachers hang their NC uniforms right alongside their VS colors.
    Hell, I've even heard said that alota Giraffes are now openly wearing NC Blue, as well.
    *shrug*
    I guess I look at em all as products of a mixed faction marriage or something, but I certainly don't care how much more of one faction they are than the other. I mean, they are what they are.. and as long as most of the bullets they shoot are heading towards red uniforms, then I'm cool with it.

- Oooo now, lemme run see what the rest of youse said.
    "Bring me my purse."

please visit
    the Game Orphanage

Finding Good Homes For Unwanted Games Since January, 2014

Touching here, complying with the directive to not read what others have written: I see us in a similar way to Red Versus Blue, the EVE Online corporation. These are two distinct corps that are both at constant war with each other. But whenever the time comes that they are threatened by others or want more numbers to do something, they band together and become Purple fleet. When they fight as Red or Blue, they give as good as they get, and know that it's done in a friendly and genuine way. When they fly together, they get that rare honour of flying with people they were fighting with not half an hour before.

Vanu are our enemies. RPS are our friends. The two are not mutually exclusive statements. One community, two outfits.
    Killing threads since Quake Three...

Before SOE allowed multiple characters on the same server I would've perceived more of a distinction between the two outfits (I initially joined RTRS because of the NC being the underdogs thing).

Now, I've invested a lot of play time with both outfits (both characters over BR50) and don't really distinguish between outfits when using the forums. In game there is of course a clear, game-mechanics distinction between the outfits but I don't have an "us vs them" mentality* as I spend about equal time with RPS and RTRS now.

So it's always been a shared community thing but the lines between outfits are a little hazier for me as well now.

* unless I see RPS when playing RTRS and vice versa, then let the good-natured hunt begin!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eltdown View Post
    Before SOE allowed multiple characters on the same server I would've perceived more of a distinction between the two outfits (I initially joined RTRS because of the NC being the underdogs thing).

Now, I've invested a lot of play time with both outfits (both characters over BR50) and don't really distinguish between outfits when using the forums. In game there is of course a clear, game-mechanics distinction between the outfits but I don't have an "us vs them" mentality* as I spend about equal time with RPS and RTRS now.

So it's always been a shared community thing but the lines between outfits are a little hazier for me as well now.

* unless I see RPS when playing RTRS and vice versa, then let the good-natured hunt begin!
    I'm honestly saddened by reading this. It's as if, the work creating at least a bit separate community hasn't succeeded. I don't say your view is wrong, or mine is correct. It's more that I'll probably will never understand it :/
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

RTRS was my first love, will always be my favourite and I feel the most comfortable on Mumble there if it makes you feel any better Bank. I'm well aware of the separate identities of the outfits within what is nevertheless a shared community with some shared players, and enjoy the friendly rivalry it creates (eg. I still have a killboard screenshot of when I solo killed six RPS in quick succession on a tech plant roof).

I think I phrased the "hazier" part poorly: it really references things other than outfit identity (ie. I forgot the question posed was specifically about outfit identity), such as me spending a more balanced amount of time between RPS and RTRS.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    I'm honestly saddened by reading this. It's as if, the work creating at least a bit separate community hasn't succeeded. I don't say your view is wrong, or mine is correct. It's more that I'll probably will never understand it :/
    For this, you will need seperate fora Bank, there's no way your going to get a seperate community feeling if you share the same threads as the VS players, for all intents and purposes RTRS is as much part of RPS as the other way around for most people.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    For this, you will need seperate fora Bank, there's no way your going to get a seperate community feeling if you share the same threads as the VS players, for all intents and purposes RTRS is as much part of RPS as the other way around for most people.
    So are you saying me to quit RTRS, because I'll never acknowledge being part of giraffes?
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!