Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    So are you saying me to quit RTRS, because I'll never acknowledge being part of giraffes?
    I thought for about a minute on whether I could help structure some arguments here, show the difference between the Rock Paper Shotgun community and Rock Planet Shotgun community and how the RPS and RTRS are completely different identities within the larger community, when I realised that it was so much simpler than that:

No one is saying you to quite RTRS. That's not proper english.

And so we all calmed down and the day was saved.
    Disclaimer:
    Sometimes I get a bit manic and then I talk too much and wall-of-text a lot.
    This rarely lasts for more than a week or so at a time. Feel free to ignore any and all walls of text at your leisure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    An old and ugly discussion that just keeps popping up. Why is it even needed? To be honest, not for all the people on these forums. We know how things are, we can make the distinction between RTRS, RPS and Giraffes. Sadly, people outside these forums have a much harder time understanding the concept. For example, it has costs us roughly a year to get all the people on NCTO call us RTRS and not RPS. And not to speak about the "discussion" about the merger smash on the miller subreddit.

It would not even matter all that much if RTRS would have been an NC Vacation destination build and created by giraffes. The truth is though, it is not. It is an independent outfit with different values, identity and members. Yes, we have a lot of cross member interaction, but non on a leadership level.

I can understand where Bank is coming from. The constant struggle to make RTRS stand out from RPS is hard. The Giraffes can just accept the RPS "mark", as it's what they are. In a way for RTRS it makes us into Giraffes for a lot of outsiders. The idea that an insider sees us as the same as well is in a way sad for us who work so hard to build up this distinction. Not that the view is wrong in any way, it's just that we can see what we build upon crumble before our very eyes.

Sometimes I question myself, is RTRS still RPS? I can not say for sure. Our main stream of new players are not from this forum, or even the site. No, RTRS recruits from inside the miller server. A good indication of this is the number of RTRS members active on this forums. What has RPS done for RTRS?

In the end, does it even matter? For the inside, us as in people on this subforum, know how things are set up. We know the borders, the lines not to cross. We know our identities. We all work hard to share these visions with the outside world and try to explain these identities over and over. It's a though job that makes you sad and tiresome, but someone has to do it over and over and over and over again.
    Steam: Dominicus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's going to be difficult to distinguish yourself when you have parts of the name you wish to distinguish yourself from in your name and you reside on the fora of whatever you wish to getaway from. For most people it will look and quack like a duck thus is a duck.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Pepper, could you clear one thing up for me. Are you trying to say to just not bother with it. Give up, as it's a lost cause? If thats what your trying to say, then I disagree. It never will be. True, the actions to spread the message to outside the comunity will be hard and though. And I agree, certain aspects work against the basic principle of the seperation between the identities, but giving up is not an option.

If your trying to just indicate that it's an uphill struggle that will never end, then I totally agree with you. Maybe some giraffes are even willing to help out with this cause. Not sure about this, as it's unclear to me if it even affects you lot at all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    If your trying to just indicate that it's an uphill struggle that will never end, then I totally agree with you. Maybe some giraffes are even willing to help out with this cause. Not sure about this, as it's unclear to me if it even affects you lot at all.
    This is what I'm saying, I dont think you should give up at all if you think its worth doing, fuck everyone else in that regard!

As far as I know it affects none of us for better or worse, we are both Planetside 2 communities that sprang from RPS that share a forum. I see nothing wrong with that, works fine I suppose.

Only thing is, for the outsides it all looks very much like the same thing. Like clans having multiple teams that participate in the same league's, still the same clan for most people. Only some bigger 'clans' can pull it off, although they have become game communities more or less like TAW and CBC.

Bread?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    you reside on the fora of whatever you wish to getaway from.
    No offense, but these are not Rock Planet Shotgun's 'fora'.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Boffinboots View Post
    No offense, but these are not Rock Planet Shotgun's 'fora'.
    Technically no, practically yes.

Bread?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Technically no, practically yes.
    I have to step in here. Practically, it is not. Just doing a quick count off the first page, there's twelve threads directed to people from both RTRS and RPS, six directed solely at RPS, and two directed solely at RTRS. While there might be "more" thread directed at RPS, the majority of the sub-forum is directed at everyone, and a not-insignificant part of it is directed at RTRS.

This is a sub-forum for all Planetside 2 players within the RockPaperShotgun gaming community. It is not a forum for RockPlanetShotgun.
    Last edited by Sir Hoc; 27-07-2014 at 10:27 AM.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Hoc View Post
    I have to step in here. Practically, it is not. Just doing a quick count off the first page, there's twelve threads directed to people from both RTRS and RPS, six directed solely at RPS, and two directed solely at RTRS. While there might be "more" thread directed at RPS, the majority of the sub-forum is directed at everyone, and a not-insignificant part of it is directed at RTRS.

This is a sub-forum for all Planetside 2 players within the RockPaperShotgun gaming community. It is not a forum for RockPlanetShotgun.
    Its ok, his brain is addled from playing too much NS2, he does not know our ways ;D
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Its ok, his brain is addled from playing too much NS2, he does not know our ways ;D
    Well, I would say most people identify it with RPS first and RTRS second, looking at earlier responses in this thread by people not KNOWING RTRS existed until they figured out how that worked. Same for me actually, when I first joined up I didnt realize a RTRS existed that played for the NC faction instead of the VS faction. I just joined Mumble, asked which server and faction I should join to play with the group and off I went. I suppose I am not the only one with such an experience.

Bread?

I agree, this was a problem in the past (maybe even sometimes now, not sure, I suspect not). The RTRS outfit introduction always has been:

"Welcome to RTRS, where the NC outfit of RPS (paper) and a sister outfit to RPS (planet)."

I was wondering, as I never have been given the outfit introduction (shame on your girofficers!), does such a thing exists within the introduction? I know that on the main page the existence of RTRS slowly disappeared over time. Apparently the mortal enemies of the giraffes are some strange creature called a PCG :P.

Well, I would say most people identify it with RPS first and RTRS second, looking at earlier responses in this thread by people not KNOWING RTRS existed until they figured out how that worked. Same for me actually, when I first joined up I didnt realize a RTRS existed that played for the NC faction instead of the VS faction. I just joined Mumble, asked which server and faction I should join to play with the group and off I went. I suppose I am not the only one with such an experience.
    People may be more aware of the existence of RPS than RTRS, but only because of our size (as seen by outsiders), and because of the support we have received from the Rock Paper Shotgun website. I'm sure that if RTRS had had the same promotion over the past year or so, their identity as a separate outfit would be far stronger.
    I'm sure there are plenty of people outside of our community who genuinely believe we are one and the same.
    We know there are people outside our community who push this idea because they think they can gain some advantage from it.
    We know we are not.
    Who's opinion on the subject matters? Ours. Everyone else can fuck off.
    Live, Learn, Laugh, Love.
    Never Fear Love.
    DTP. Grace.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I agree with that to the fullest extent Laldy, everything I posted is a perception, incase someone forgot(its what this thread is about), I wouldnt want to postulate it as fact.

Bread?

I agree, this was a problem in the past (maybe even sometimes now, not sure, I suspect not). The RTRS outfit introduction always has been:

"Welcome to RTRS, where the NC outfit of RPS (paper) and a sister outfit to RPS (planet)."

I was wondering, as I never have been given the outfit introduction (shame on your girofficers!), does such a thing exists within the introduction? I know that on the main page the existence of RTRS slowly disappeared over time. Apparently the mortal enemies of the giraffes are some strange creature called a PCG :P.
    as far as I remember, we used to introduce ourselves as the official Rock Paper Shotgun Outfit, though I never remember if Vanu was mentioned there, as opposed to just "THE Outfit".
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

I can't speak for anyone else of course, but I don't see why we couldn't help out with that. As to how we can do that though, I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    as far as I remember, we used to introduce ourselves as the official Rock Paper Shotgun Outfit, though I never remember if Vanu was mentioned there, as opposed to just "THE Outfit".
    I think I've heard someone refer to us as the official outfit once, maybe twice, in the entire time I've been playing. I don't particularly see us that way either. We're definitely borne of the readership and get a subforum here, but official? Nope.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Jim confirmed that the Giraffes are the official outfit at Rezzed 2013.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You can read through the whole outfit induction for RPS here: http://www.rockplanetshotgun.com/gui...-introduction/ Although it's up to the girofficer how much they stick to the text. Personally I probably would mention RTRS's existence in the induction although it's not required.

In the 'new members start here' sticky RTRS has a strong presence, so they are definitely still very visible in newbie info.

As far as RPS being the official Rock Paper Shotgun outfit, we don't introduce ourselves as such, although by all accounts we could, since Jim plays with us and gave his approval when Dewi referred to us as such at Rezzed one time.
    Last edited by Rizlar; 27-07-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I don't think we want to, do we?

To my mind RPS makes no claim to be anything but equals to RTRS excepting obviously the concept of spandex > freedom and possibly being older thus making them our little sibling who need their head patted now and then.

If we were to be considered the de facto official RPS-PS2 outfit, I would consider this transient based on size and activity, certainly nothing intrinsic to the outfit itself. I will never consider it thus.
    Disclaimer:
    Sometimes I get a bit manic and then I talk too much and wall-of-text a lot.
    This rarely lasts for more than a week or so at a time. Feel free to ignore any and all walls of text at your leisure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    possibly being older
    Less than a day's difference, in fact.

well it was mostly Jim cofounding the Vanu outfit and also organising all of the Call To Arms bits and all of that.

But that was a year ago. RTRS are definitely its own entity and capable of hitting with the best.
    - Tom De Roeck.