Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing!
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Network Hub
    Hmm not working here.

EDIT: Never mind, their servers are just feeling a bit under the weather.

Network Hub
    How does Origin handle access to the same account/games from different PC's?

Not that it _really_ matters for this particular game, since I can add it to a newly created account as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurple View Post
    How does Origin handle access to the same account/games from different PC's?

Not that it _really_ matters for this particular game, since I can add it to a newly created account as well.
    It depends on the game. If a game has an offline mode, it kicks you to the offline mode. If it is an always-online thing, you are outta luck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    You have to install the game. I guess I don't find the client that much of an imposition. You already need an EA account to redeem it trough the Origin store, and have needed an account for many in-game features and for support requests going back well before Origin.

Especially if you have nothing else on origin, you can just think of it as your Sims 2 launcher.

If installing a program in a virtual machine and trying to copy the files usably over to your main operating system is considered less of an imposition than just having Origin, I really don't understand how your mind works. o.O

To each their own.
    I was being hyperbolic. What I really meant is: can I install Origin, install Sims 2 and then uninstall Origin? I think it didn't use Origin's features, unless there was some update I missed.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure if you uninstall Origin, it uninstalls all Origins games too.

I tried the same with BF1942 but it didn't work. Maybe it's different now, or I don't remember right :S lol.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post

I tried the same with BF1942 but it didn't work. Maybe it's different now, or I don't remember right :S lol.
    Hmprf
    Can I at least not run Origin ever?

Just accept origin into your life. Origin is love. All hail our EA overlords!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Hmprf
    It basically works like Steam. Hell, it basically is Steam, but slightly less clunky and with fewer "social features."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Hmprf
    I've not looked for the Exes for EA games... I know I can for a few (actually more, but I'm not baiting the fanbois that much right not) Steam games just load the game without Steam (again, depending on game it will load Steam overlay automatically, or not).

I assume most older Origin games run without it...

[Checks Mirrors Edge]
    Oh snap, it loads up without Origin. Which is both a win... It's ME and needs no client to run :D and a loss, as I cannot gloat about how horrid Origin is. I guess then that it's not possible to make Origin a fail in all aspects, no matter how hard EA try. ;)
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Oh snap, it loads up without Origin. Which is both a win... It's ME and needs no client to run :D and a loss, as I cannot gloat about how horrid Origin is. I guess then that it's not possible to make Origin a fail in all aspects, no matter how hard EA try. ;)
    That's enough for me.
    There's another "win", you can install the DLC. Actually, I also did, but you overwrite some of the existing maps.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I assume most older Origin games run without it...
    Lots of Origin games run without the client. Like I said, it's basically less clunky Steam with fewer social features. People just bitch about it because it's EA.
    Last edited by vinraith; 24-07-2014 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    I thought that was just Steam actually.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Origin games don't give a damn if origin is even installed outside of a small few (BF3 and later care I think)
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I really don't understand the Origin hate. It's almost entirely reactionary. I mean ... it's interface isn't as good for large-volume libraries but that's also less of a thing with Origin to begin with. It doesn't have in-your-face social features, it stays quietly out of the way better than Steam does (although not much better, Steam has improved a lot in this respect ... after first getting a lot worse in this respect since initially it was just a DRM and install tool and wasn't in the way at all otherwise), I find it more colorful and pleasant to look at but that's pretty personal, and while it's still not great I've always found EA tech support to be better than Valve's.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Lots of Origin games run without the client. Like I said, it's basically less clunky Steam with fewer social features. People just bitch about it because it's EA.
    Nah, like Steam it did not work on release. It's just we can look back at Steam getting better, and only just true for Origin.

Nah, like Steam it did not work on release. It's just we can look back at Steam getting better, and only just true for Origin.
    It worked fine on release 0_o. On release, it even did a lot of things that Steam did not do, like a working off-line mode.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    It worked fine on release 0_o. On release, it even did a lot of things that Steam did not do, like a working off-line mode.
    I didn't have problems on release either. Some people did because, surprise, computers are complicated and everyone has different ones. Maybe the echo-chamber of Origin hate probably amplified the position of it's not-at-all-unusual amount of bugginess. As far as I can tell, it was a fairly normal release maybe even a little on the clean and functional side. Then there's Battlefield 4, though.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It got stuck in an update loop for me, and asks for password every time it updates. So that's annoying. It deleted/never saved download packages (or was obtuse on how to do this, been use to Steams backup system for too long).

Though I agree some of it is bias from me. After GFWL, I decided to never try alternatives, because it can hurt too much. ;)
    Like a restaurant, the one you know cooks well, you go to. Is it worth risking buying from the new one and getting a nasty surprise? Thankfully, it's turned out to be a good surprise. Though I still don't play any of my games through Origin... :P

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I pity people who only ever go to one restaurant.