Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Civ V - The return of cheese

This thread is for a new game of Civ 5. New thread to keep the discussion separate from discussion about ongoing game. But what became clear from the ongoing game/games is that a bit more structure is needed. So I propose that we have a session once per week, at the same time every week. If more than 25% can't make it to a session and say so ahead of time, it is postponed (so if we have 8 players and 2 are away we play, if 3 are away we postpone). And in order to promote excellency, let's agree to not take anything from a player civ if that player misses a session. If they miss two sessions, however, they are fair game.

The size of the game will be dependent on how many interested players we have. Map type will be decided by a vote (in spreadsheet below).

Players will need base game and the two expansions Brave New World and Gods & Kings. No other requirements.

Interested players can write down their preferred civ and personal difficulty level in this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing (please write it in a post as well to make it easier for people to keep track).

So do all the rules seem fair? As for when to play, I think we should avoid any op nights and clashes with other games. Meaning that tuesday - friday is of limits. So we have saturday, sunday, and monday to choose from. Write down your preferred choices in a post, and we'll try to get a decision done as soon as possible. Game start will be the usual (i.e. 19:30 UK time, 20:30 CEST). Once we have a decent number of players signed up, we'll set a date and start a new game.
    Last edited by Sir Hoc; 25-07-2014 at 01:49 PM.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Placeholder post
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So, my preferred civ is Maya. As for days, I would prefer playing on either Sundays or Mondays.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    Either Dutch or Japanese. Mondays. Large islands.
    Steam: Dominicus

Network Hub
    Mondays, Siam (if only for old times sake), Prince. Not played enough Civ V to make a judgement re map size, but anything that gives me a bit of space to be crap in would be nice

Just an observation really - if weekends are available could we have the option of late afternoons rather than evenings. I was thinking maybe 4 til 6-630ish. For Saturdays, for example, that would let folks get a bit of Civ in before going out, plus if no-one is going out we could extend the session. I haven't gone for weekends because mine are crazy until Sept, however for the rest of the year they will probably be largely free.
    Origin guvornator69
    Steam guvornator
    Planetside 2 DavidGan1x - Come admire my terrible KDR

Anyone considered playing per email/dropbox?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    @Guv Having it in the afternoon on weekends would work for me. Nothing in the OP is really set in stone, so if people prefer a sunday or saturday we can definitely change the time as well.

@Quanta I haven't really. For me, having the banter and people talking in the background is one of the things that makes sessions the most fun. But perhaps others would be interested in another format.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Network Hub
    I also like the banter - I'd say it's probably the biggest plus the multi-player has going for it. Apart from the first session, where I was feeling a little tired and overwhelmed, I've loved having people to talk to, and feel like i've learned a lot. Forgive my ignorance, but play by email would be awfully slow, wouldn't it?

I think the thing that is proving tricky (aside from the vagaries of Firaxis netcode) is the lack of attendance (of which I am obviously guilty), but also the amount of unannounced dropping out. So my proposal would be: -

If you miss 3 sessions but post on the forum/to the Pit Boss, then on your, on your third missed session the players can have a crack at your lands if they so choose.

If you miss a session and don't tell anyone, then the players can have a crack at your lands etc.

In both scenarios, the crack at your lands would be up for discussion, rather than just doing it. Players in game would have to agree to it. The idea for this would be to stop people taking advantage of someone who had up until then a 100% attendance record, but has had some sort of emergency/phone malfunction being dicked over while their back was turned.
    Origin guvornator69
    Steam guvornator

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There is currently a sale on Gamersgate for Civ stuff, including all the things you'd need for this game.

http://se.gamersgate.com/civilization?aff=ggnews
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Network Hub
    I'd still like to finish Game 1! Also, Wednesdays belong to Vanu.

Activated Node
    Any of the given days. Babylon, if not then Korea, if not then England. Roughly Prince difficulty.
    I'm happy with any map, but my computing power is, regrettably, below average and then some. I therefore tend to struggle with the big custom maps, such as the to-scale Earth one. Other than that, I'm definitely up for a game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by b3ll3nd View Post
    I'd still like to finish Game 1! Also, Wednesdays belong to Vanu.
    This is a new game that's separate from the other games. So there's nothing saying game 1 won't continue (with discussion in the other thread for simplicity please).
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hm, I'd like to play, but I suck at Civ

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Boffinboots View Post
    Sucking at Civ is not a barrier to you playing. If it was my arse would have been canned a while back...
    Origin guvornator69
    Steam guvornator

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Exactly, no skill level is required. I think I have played about... four games now, and had only play half a game when the first multiplayer one started.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Quote Originally Posted by Boffinboots View Post
    Just remember the golden rule of Civ: "Never trust Ghandi".

I'm interested in a game, not tried multiplayer Civ 5 before. I usually play on Emperor, preferred civs are Celts and Huns.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Awesomeness!! We now have nine players signed up in the google doc (not including Boffin), which I think is the minimum needed. And mondays seems to be the prefered day. So let's start this. On monday next week (28/7) at 19:30 UK/20:30 CEST we will have the first game.

It seems like everyone will get their first pick as well, so that's awesome. In regards to map, Continents got the most votes, followed by Large Islands. So let's go with continents for this game, and another map type for the next game.

Also, who is Dominicus2? :P
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

To be honest, sunday afternoons would work best for me and my wife. If it ends up with the monday she won't join in.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I added another column in the spreadsheet for days people can play. Please write down all days you can play, so we make sure we get the day that's best for everyone.

(not everyone wrote a day here, so I felt that it's best to ask everyone explicitly in order to be fair).
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc