Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    I stopped looting clothes
    You're doing it wrong!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    You're doing it wrong!
    I now have the sound effect from stealing someone's clothes right off their back in one smooth motion. It's been running through my head for the last ten minutes: Voop!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    They really should have taken the time to animate that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_far View Post
    Come on, ladies and gents. Give us some positives to PC gaming. :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Tes Nexus has 23930 mod files for Oblivion, 1890 are armour, 793 clothes, and 1705 models.

That leaves a touch under 20000 that aren't possibly rude body or clothes mods.
    No way?! Wow, you totally didn't make a point there. Those other 20000 are made of ridiculous weapons, random mods such as hideouts, texture replacers, bug fixes, unofficial patches and various other files. If I'm looking at modding my armour, those 22k other files are going to be irrelevant.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ridiculous mods are only "garbage" if are not your thing.

I bet somewhere a player want to play Oblivium with a ponicorn on fire companion, or maybe with a boomerang that turn people into gold, or with a knife that bounce on walls wen launched and magically returns to the owner hand, or maybe want to have the exact same armor as Xerxes*.

*unpractical male armour

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Ridiculous mods are only "garbage" if are not your thing.
    One man's treasure is another man's garbage, I know, but it really pisses me off that I have to spend ages trawling through sex mod after sex mod, through tits after tits (And I'm quite the fan of mammary glands), through thong armour after thong armour, through Tellytubby Suit after Tellytubby Suit just to find the one mod that isn't lore-breaking, sexualised and utterly pointless... Only to find the author stopped supporting it and it simply doesn't work.

I never had that problem. Most of the good mods like say FOOK or OOO get so highly rated & downloaded that you can find them in seconds by ordering by one of those parameters. Sure the 'Photo realistic shaved crotch' mods, or at least the "quality" ones also tend to have quite high scores in those, but TESNexus allows one to filter out the adult mods with a single click, and if you're in a non-body replacer category you're not going to see them.

The huge number of crapass mods have such a niche following that if you properly filter your searches they'll be on page 50 and you'll never have to see them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    I expect that will settle down, but it may take years. Democratisation of expression inevitably leads to an initial flurry of productions that would have been subversive or transgressive previously. An externalisation of sexual content that's restricted or taboo in other arenas is probably the first thing people will try in an arena where it's accepted. That's what happened in Second Life: an invitation to make anything of course was dominated by things that would challenge the social conventions of real life. Second Life couldn't really weather that, and now it's a shadow of its former self.

Of course, another thing about Second Life, which is also true of modding, is that people who weren't making sexual stuff were making stuff that was, mostly, just plain ugly and bad. That's another negative side-effect of democratisation: Everyone can do it, but not everyone should.

I don't know if anyone remembers Myspace. It was a sort of proto-Facebook that was a big thing once upon a time. Myspace was many things, but among them it was the culmination of over a decade of democratisation of music production. And what was the result? Getting friend requests from terrible, terrible bands! People who should never have bothered picking up an instrument. All of a sudden, anyone could not only produce their own dross (which was possible since the early 90s), but could also promote it. Needless to say, people started ignoring these promotions, which meant it wasn't really a useful platform for bad or good bands. And in response to this, a lot of other things have sprung up to separate the wheat from the chaff, and to let you hear awesome music you might otherwise never have listened to.

This is what mods need. There are a few people out there who are putting the effort into telling us which mods are worthwhile and which aren't, but it hasn't reached critical mass yet. For that to happen, I think we need to support modding. I don't mean just supporting the authors of good mods, but to increase the legitimacy of modding culture in general. As video game culture has become more legitimate, people have started making games that are less trivial. As indie development has become more legitimate, we've seen some great indie games being developed, as opposed to games that think being indie is an excuse for a lack of quality. If mods become more legitimate, the bar for what's acceptable from mods will be raised.

The bottom line of all this tangential and unfocused rambling is that the sorry state of the mod scene is a result of democratisation without legitimacy. It's great that anyone can do it; now we need to create awareness that not everyone should. And I think the way to do that is by supporting what modding could be; not bemoaning what it is.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of naïveté. It's naïveté turned inside-out. Naïveté wearing a sneer." -Momus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    I don't mean just supporting the authors of good mods, but to increase the legitimacy of modding culture in general. As video game culture has become more legitimate, people have started making games that are less trivial. As indie development has become more legitimate, we've seen some great indie games being developed, as opposed to games that think being indie is an excuse for a lack of quality. If mods become more legitimate, the bar for what's acceptable from mods will be raised.
    Actually I think that indie games are largely responsible for killing a lot of the modding scene. Well, not actually "killing" but absorbing them. Game development in many respects has gotten a bit easier with the rise of things like Unity and UDK, such that you don't have to rely on a base game to get at a decent engine anymore. A lot of "modders" from the grand era of total conversions would rather make their own game and distribute it to everybody (perhaps even charge for it) which makes things like Unity a lot more attractive and modding a lot less attractive.

Of course there are still going to be modders out there making mods but I think the idea of massive modding scenes working on big projects is going to decline. Especially given how much people expect from major mods these days (art assets equal to or better than those already in the game).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    One man's treasure is another man's garbage, I know, but it really pisses me off that I have to spend ages trawling through sex mod after sex mod, through tits after tits (And I'm quite the fan of mammary glands), through thong armour after thong armour, through Tellytubby Suit after Tellytubby Suit just to find the one mod that isn't lore-breaking, sexualised and utterly pointless... Only to find the author stopped supporting it and it simply doesn't work.
    Well: yeah. But you can say that for anything. If you're looking for one specific sort of female body type or color of thong armour you have to search through all those others too. If you're saying we probably need better categorisation and search then yes, but it basically boils down to "I have to search through all these mods to find the ones I want". Just like everyone else. I'm sorry that other people are making mods you don't like and creating a lot of noise, yes it would be better if the modders just read your mind and only made those mods but...

Anyway the mod you're after is called Integration.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Anyway the mod you're after is called Integration.
    The mod I'm after doesn't exist because I have no intent to pick up Oblivion ever again ;)