Activated Node

Battle Brothers: Medieval Strategic RPG

Have you guys seen Battle Brothers?

http://battlebrothersgame.com

About the game

Battle Brothers is a challenging turn based strategy RPG mix for PC, Mac and Linux. It is being developed by Overhype Studios and is in pre-alpha stage right now. The gameplay is inspired by such classics as X-com: UFO Defense and Jagged Alliance.
    You take on the role of a leader of a band of mercenaries and adventurers on the hunt for treasure, fame and legendary artifacts. As you journey onwards, an epic scale invasion unfolds that leaves nothing but burning rubble in its wake. You and your Battle Brothers emerge as the people’s last hope to unravel the source of the invasion and strike at its heart. Will you turn out to be an able commander using cunning tactical outfits to emerge victorious, or will you fail miserably sending your men into a futile bloodbath? It is up to you, but be careful – every decision matters.

Gameplay

The game consists of a strategical layer, or worldmap, and a tactical combat layer. On the worldmap you can choose where to travel next in order to find places worth looting, enemies worth pursuing or towns to resupply and hire men at. This is also where you manage, level up and equip your troops, craft equipment and engage in discovering ancient mysteries through study of dusty tomes. Once you move close to an enemy force or potentially dangerous place you will switch to the tactical combat map where the actual fighting takes place. Both the worldmap and the combat maps will be procedurally generated so no two playthroughs will ever be alike.
    It looks really neat - sort of like Jagged Alliance crossed with Final Fantasy Tactics. I only just read about it today, despite it being in development for months and being exactly the sort of game I like.

There is a demo for the combat system, it's fun. I'm looking forward to seeing what they're going to do with the world map.

Quote Originally Posted by CKScientist View Post
    I only just read about it today
    Sorry for being so cynical, but... you look like you're self-promoting. The patterns are exactly the same. Okay, you might be a real person because you've been here a bit longer than the usual suspects, but this just rubs me the wrong way.

Why is it so that basically every time an indie game is promoted on a forum it makes me want to puke? What went wrong, and when?

Activated Node
    The 8 months I spent playing in a Dominions game with RPS people was actually my deep cover preparation for this marketing attempt just now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CKScientist View Post
    The 8 months I spent playing in a Dominions game with RPS people was actually my deep cover preparation for this marketing attempt just now.
    I can confirm that his terrible PR in game and the resulting invasions fit perfectly with the social profile of a makevelian games producer attempting to socially engineer success. Really, who else tries for a domain victory vs 12 opponents.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the link - brofist! I generally don't get interested in unfinished stuff but I did very much like what I saw in that clip. I'm a sucker for a good hex game and also for Vikings. Nice to see some historical Viking names on some of the Battle Bros.

I disagree on it being like Final Fantasy or JA. Looks like it borrows from the combat system of Eador: Genesis, in particular the look of the battlefield and the fatigue system. Thematically it seems a mix between Eador and Banner Saga but having the larger scale complexity of hex games like Westnoth. Love the gritty looking aesthetic and the UI seems quite decent. Those skeletons are looking pretty sexy too.

Perfect response by CKScientist. I had a good laugh at that.

This game does seem very interesting to me though, and seems to be right up my alley. It ticks all the boxes for me, now it's just a matter of whether they can execute on their ideas in a way that is interesting and fun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    After looking at the gameplay videos I'm more interested in the concept than the reality thus far. Hopefully it'll improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Sorry for being so cynical, but... you look like you're self-promoting.
    It would take ten seconds to check post history.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 24-07-2014 at 02:50 PM.

After reading some dev blogs it seems like they are quite ambitious. Looks as if they almost want a turn based version of Mount and Blade with dynamic factions on the world map that rise and fall on their own as well as being affected by the player.

Anyway it's on my watchlist. I wish them luck.

looks sweet, thx.

I apologize. Blame the, umm... blame Obama!

The combat demo was really solid. After being pretty skeptical I'm pretty much sold. I just hope that their overworld ambitions don't end up like with Starsector. That is, that it never seems to get finished.
    BobHound - EVE Online

I thought the demo was very good, and I'm interested to see how it continues to improve, and it seems like I won't get sick of the battles over a long period of time. But more than anything, it's the overworld ambition that has me most intrigued. The idea of having the wealth of a village be controlled by trade routes and banditry seems very interesting.