Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    I have problem comprehending how people can like apple designs. Outerlook of their products.
    They always look the same. Been looking the same for past 5 years. My first ipod nano black looks the same as iphone 4 or whatever the new one is called.
    Same shapes, same colors (except that mini mp3 players).
    I got sick of it over three years ago and since then it got worse cause its everywhere and its all the same.
    If you want to understand apple design philosophy read about Dieter Rams. But to sum it up. "Good design is as little design as possible".
    And also apple aesthetics is part of its brand, they can't go changing it every year. And of course maybe it's a good thing they look similar, it's a consistent design through the company output.

And from a design standpoint apple products are amazing. Their attention to detail in unmatched, and the thought behind the manufacturing process (in a lot of things you can't even appreciate) is very deep. You might not like it but it's impossible to criticise apple's ID.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    (in a lot of things you can't even appreciate)
    "It's all really deep; you wouldn't understand it" is practically a hipster mantra.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I meant as in a lot of manufacturing process that aren't reflected on the final product. Internal composition and such. You can't appreciate how they have very little waste of material while looking at an imac, but a lot of thought went into that.

Last edited by Tikey; 27-09-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    If you want to understand apple design philosophy read about Dieter Rams. But to sum it up. "Good design is as little design as possible".
    And also apple aesthetics is part of its brand, they can't go changing it every year. And of course maybe it's a good thing they look similar, it's a consistent design through the company output.

And from a design standpoint apple products are amazing. Their attention to detail in unmatched, and the thought behind the manufacturing process (in a lot of things you can't even appreciate) is very deep. You might not like it but it's impossible to criticise apple's ID.
    its not about quality.

they are just plain ugly. same stuff years after years. and its everywhere. everyone else copies it. My niece got recently that ipod for 300 bucks (whatever that is) blackish. its well made no doubt about it but its awful looking. looks the same almost like my ipod nano from over 4 years ago.

Ugly and beauty are terribly subjective terms.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    i find them nice to look at, except for the Ipad that definitely doesn't look that great.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ugly and beauty are terribly subjective terms.
    Still young is normally prettier than old.

Chaos uglier than some order.

Following proportions prettier than pure chaos or pure octogonal.

We share bias. And we share ideas about what is pretty and elegant.

So while we can't agree on everything, we can agree on something. Knowing and following these ideas we can try to create things with universal appeal. Or with as universal as possible appeal.

Yes and no.
    Yes, we can get some consensus on some elements of beauty and ugliness, but you can't attack a product because you find it "ugly" without actually giving justification.
    Apple products my be "the same" but it could be because of an anachronic aesthetic. And of course all that's been mentioned about order and proportions can be applied to apple products (mainly because that's the design concepts behind them).

Yes and no.
    This is a dumb tangent. Can we get back to talking about Apple's marketing schema again?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    Apple is really good at making people belive that they are buying something better, something special and by that they are a part of a special community. You can even detect hints of elitism.

By the way, I think the Macs keyboard just looks horrible. When I see it, I feel a urge to smash it with a hammer, to completelly destroy it until it's unreckognisable. Also the mouse doesn't look really comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroKnight View Post
    You can even detect hints of elitism.
    Justin Long is more than a hint. :P
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl