Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Network Hub

So I'm thinking of developing a game... struggling to find a friendly development too

So I've got a game idea for a turn based game inspired by an old 1970's board game, it's been knocking about in my head for years now and I'd like to build at least a playable proof of concept.

Is there a GUI development environment that is suited to turn based board games?

I have zero programming expertise but do have the design chops.

In terms of gameplay the closest actual game I can compare it to would be Game Dev Tycoon (http://www.greenheartgames.com/app/game-dev-tycoon/ for those that haven't played it).

I've done some preliminary googling but the only game dev kits I can find are all geared towards puzzle or platformer games. Stencyl, CraftStudio, GameMaker, BlitzMax, Torque, Flashpunk etc. There's Unity but again that's a 3d real time engine.

Other than these or the very Japanese/Ultima style RPG Maker I'm coming up with nothing.

Anyone know of a turn based game making platform?

Jim

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/tur...t-tbtk.195426/

I know nothing of it and am not recommending it - but don't write-off Unity because it's 3D because it does 2D simply by choosing a different camera

When you're choosing a game dev tool - the most important things are
    1 - is it capable of pushing your game to all the platforms (desktop/mobile/console)
    2 - is it well supported with lots of help/experience out there already
    3 - how does it's licencing work (Unity can get expensive - for example - once you pass an arbitrary amount of income)
    4 - is it's code reasonably portable (not locked-in/closed-source)

I'd personally build something using either HTML5 or libgdx (Java) - they're my "goto guys" because they're simple and portable - but there are so many other options

There's even functional game development now - Nightmod allows you to edit a game as you're playing it (using Clojure/libgdx/Nightcode)

https://nightmod.net

I read about http://cocos2d-x.org/ some time ago. That one is pure 2D. Cocos studio might be what you are looking for...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    EDIT OUT: fuck it, go HTML5.
    Last edited by pakoito; 26-07-2014 at 04:40 PM.

Network Hub
    Thanks guys,

I had a look at Cocos and bounced off it, I can see the potential in it but I really need a logic tree creation utility rather than a complete development IDE.

Gamemaker looks good, however I can't see a single turn based game in their showcase.

Unity is a fine tool, in fact I've already built some horribly crap Unity games with Blender assets, so I know that this is a good option for a Torchlight clone or an FPS game. However I really want to build a stripped down, almost board game like experience. As I mentioned Game Dev Tycoon or Catan are sort of the genre I'm shooting for.

Anything else out there?
    Last edited by JimDigritz; 25-07-2014 at 11:37 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Desktop Dungeons went on to release via Unity tho - just FYI

Fact is I don't think you'll get a "TBS Maker" because the way TBS games work isn't generic enough (and they're probably not popular enough either tbh)

Even if it existed tho - the mechanisms which underpin a good TBS are generally quite fiercesome - you'll have to sit down and program some quite complex decision trees and rule tables and other stuff in SOMETHING - the presentation layer of the game is almost the least of your worries.

Hell, I thought people tended to prototype TBSs by making boardgames out of them first anyway? :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    One advice - use engine and stay away from writting one from scratch. It's just a waste of time in most cases.

Network Hub
    I know nothing about this, but here are some alternatives to Unity: http://alternativeto.net/software/unity/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Construct2 might offer something - maybe - but it's still going to involve some programming (if you want to avoid that, strategy games are not the place to do it!!)

https://www.scirra.com/construct2

Construct2 makes HTML5/WebGL games so they work pretty-much EVERYWHERE - it has a solid community with a lot of plugins and example programs - the code is, of course, completely portable too. I've not used it personally but I run into people using it constantly (as I develop a lot of HTML5/WebGL) and their solutions are usually my solutions and their community seems really supportive and also seems to have made pretty much everything you can imagine!

Here's a super-super-simple TB RPG howto
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYnU...1cr8HVi_6_5F-A
    and a Pokemon/FF-style battle tut
    http://berryijmker.com/how-to-make-p...-html5-part-1/

Even if they're not what you want to make, you can see how Construct 2 does logic from that - certainly you might even decide it would be BETTER just to program it manually ;0

There's also a TB 'Advance Wars' style tutorial for Cocos-2D (a more programming-heavy option) here
    http://www.raywenderlich.com/12022/h...gy-game-part-1

FOr 2D stuff which isn't "pure programming" - those 2 are probably the goto solution (Cocos is VERY VERY popular)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    JimDigritz it's up to you to decide but my advice is to ignore trjp, he has a very tunnelvision approach to the subject of game development and his recommendations are very biased towards a technology (HTML5/WebGL) that's gonna give you more headaches than anything.
    If you're going to advise people you need to do more than say "ignore him he's wrong" - seriously...

Also Cocos2D offers JS (HTML5/WebGL) and C++ routes - so pakoito is talking nonsense

That said - I'd argue that HTML5 is a perfect solution for a non-action 2D games (e.g. anything where things like frame-rate are not the biggest issue) because it works EVERYWHERE and if you don't already know a bit of HTML/CSS/JS, where the fuck have you been for the last 10 years!? :)

Don't want to talk technologies here really tho - just steering people away from short-termist solutions...
    Last edited by trjp; 26-07-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    *catches pakoito's dummy*

*passes it back*

Seriously dude - you make a personal attack without saying what you issue is and then have a tantrum - neither is helping the OP

I don't want to suggest a technology here - I just want to steer people away from proprietary tools and towards nice, open technologies with big communities - because that is the 'friendly' way to make games - it's the one which makes games which work on more platforms and which work better.

Sometimes - "easy to start" is "hard to finish" and all that.

Network Hub
    Well that escalated rather quickly, nobody expects a Spanish tantrum.

Back on topic, JimDigritz I had a very similar situation to yourself a couple of years back.

I did the whole working concept in Blender, the game engine is pretty robust and *essentially* easy to use, but it does require a basic grasp of Blender itself. Again it's 3d but as had been mentioned it's just a case of static camera placement.

There are multiple python scripts and example files relating to turn based play as well with the blender engine.
    GW2: Emmett Lazlow; The Killing Gnut; Bob Danby

Network Hub
    Just to offer another alternative--

ToME (the roguelike) is also a 2d engine. There's a good community. There's some documentation. It's designed with 2d in mind (which matters, at least, a little bit). Not sure how the license would handle commercial development, but if you're not planning on making a profit, you'd probably get some free publicity by virtue of using it. It would involve learning some Lua, but Lua is a beautiful language, very easy to learn, and eventually you're going to have to script some logic together, no matter what tool you use.

Network Hub
    LibGDX all the way for me. A fantastic Java framework and you'll learn skills that will make you non-gaming money. Well worth it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    @Pakoito - we didn't have an argument - I posted some stuff, you got angry about that - I was rude back (that happens when you make things personal) - you got angrier and - it was kinda odd tbh

I've clearly pissed on your chips - I don't remember pissing on your chips but - well - there are more chips in the world and all that - place and time etc. etc.

I've been using Gamemaker for over 10 years now (not for TBS because I don't do TBS) and it'll turn its hand to pretty much anything that takes place on a 2d plane with not too much friction. But as TRJP said earlier, whatever package you choose you'll still end up having to go through some fairly substantial actual-code bits so rather than trying to find the all time most suitable package for a TBS, I'd look at each one and find out which one fits your brain space the best.

For me that's Gamemaker as even in full blown console dev mode, it's not too strict and lets me make a few shortcuts (or schoolboy errors, depending on your point of view) without nagging me too much about them.

So yeah, there isn't going to be a package that makes a TBS "easiest" but there will be one that makes working in that package most comfortable for you so go for that one. Whichever way you shake it, there's going to be ups, downs and frustrations along the way and pretty much everything has its own quirks/ramps/difficulties/oh my who thought that was a good idea so might as well find the one that at least you can wrap your head around.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    LibGDX all the way for me. A fantastic Java framework and you'll learn skills that will make you non-gaming money. Well worth it.
    Writing engine from framework is just waste of time unless you need to program really, really specific stuff.

I once wanted to write 2D metroidvania with friend who is very skilled programmer. We were using Ruby with GOSU library (awesome language and framework to work with, good for learning) and after one year we have end up with base engine and basic gameplay. It was supposed to be a 3 month project for some contest...