Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Writing engine from framework is just waste of time unless you need to program really, really specific stuff.

I once wanted to write 2D metroidvania with friend who is very skilled programmer. We were using Ruby with GOSU library (awesome language and framework to work with, good for learning) and after one year we have end up with base engine and basic gameplay. It was supposed to be a 3 month project for some contest...
    "Everything takes longer than you think" is the best advice anyone ever got in game development - but I have no idea what you example has to do with LibGDX really?

if you're any good of a programmer you can attempt to write your own engine for any platform, it's not that hard when you start thinking about it. If you need it to be a board-like game just make the level with a 2d level editor and make it look like the board you want, then just have the engine do the collision detection and path-finding to navigate the board.

The game logic will handle the turn-based approach and you're all set. So be it HTML5, desktop, mobile etc it really doesn't matter, the logic will be the same on any platform.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    No useful advice for the OP, but I do find it odd that there doesn't seem to be a non-code user-friendly turn/grid based option out there.

I had an idea for a game a while back, and it wouldn't been turn based and on a grid. 2D or 3D. I naively thought that that would be much easier to achieve than a real time action game. Yet there are loads of tools out there that have built in real time movement, colision detection, etc.. and allow you to quickly and easily bash together that kind of game.

Yet none of them seem to include any of the basic elements for turn based games. They can do platformers, they can do shooters, they can even do FPS, but if you want to do a basic grid with movement then you seem to have to code the whole grid, pathfinding, turn based engine, etc.. yourself. (Or buy an asset, such as the one linked above for Unity).

Since there are already accepted methods for things like pathfinding, but they are hardly accessible to non coders or beginners, you'd think they'd include a basic implementation in Unity/Gamemaker/whatever.
    Having basic built in tools would at least give you somewhere to begin, and a way to test out your ideas and see if it works. And then you could learn from that and add to it as needed.

I kinda gave up on my idea, and I think i already checked out most of the things people have suggested here, but I might have a look at a few of the ones I missed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    I think the best advice is to buddy up with a programmer. As far as I remember there aren't any engines that easily do TBS. It can be done in most of the frameworks mentioned already but you'll have to program it in and then deal with things like pathfinding and AI.

Realistically you can only make quite simple games without a programmer about, so either learn or buddy up.

I vote for Unity, but dont try 2D animation without expecting to spend a LOT of time doing menial things.

Since its a turn based game, however, you should be fine. Maybe theres even some plugin that helps you along.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Unity is fine for 2D - I have been using it myself.

fswipe.jpg

(don't mind the background image :D )
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    Unity is fine for 2D - I have been using it myself.

fswipe.jpg

(don't mind the background image :D )
    no I mean, 2D animation. moving 2D in 2D space or 3D space is fine, just not 2D animations. (working the beziers and all of that can be a drag, having multiple animations per object isnt a very refined process yet, and prone to bugs)
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

I don't think it's any easier in another environment like Cocos2D. What I do know is that there are several skeletal animation tools available for Unity.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    One thing that's bugging me in Unity 2D is lack of pixel-perfect display mode. Well, theorethically is possible via certain scripts, but that's fucking abysmal thing.
    Pixel-perfect display (with good non-blurred scaling) should be main feature of EVERY 2D engine.

Network Hub
    Writing engine from framework is just waste of time unless you need to program really, really specific stuff.

I once wanted to write 2D metroidvania with friend who is very skilled programmer. We were using Ruby with GOSU library (awesome language and framework to work with, good for learning) and after one year we have end up with base engine and basic gameplay. It was supposed to be a 3 month project for some contest...
    Frameworks are actually absolutely fine, remember that different frameworks offer different toolsets. Some do all the work for you, some expect you to work right at the lowest level. LibGDX is actually very useful because of the flexibility it offers, giving you a framework and thus an unlimited range of possibilities, where taking a game engine somewhat limits you to what the game engine creator intended. Of course you can hack and work around the limitations of the game engine but that often ends up more work than doing it yourself, especially for something simple. The downside of LibGDX however is documentation. It's simply very difficult to find up-to-date information about it because the project updates far too frequently, and often with code-breaking stuff. Now if you're smart you can google and find out what happened but that's bound to put off newbies it's something they need to think about (and I've had conversations with the project lead to that effect in the past).

Remember though that learning java opens the door to a hell of a lot of jobs. It's worth doing, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    I don't think it's any easier in another environment like Cocos2D. What I do know is that there are several skeletal animation tools available for Unity.
    trust me, I just had to import hand animated 2D animations into unity. Its very imprecise and it takes a long time.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I has ben tryiing to make simple games for eons.

But every time I try, I realize the amount of work needed, even for a really crappy game, is enormeous.

So I never go very far.

I think willpower to continue something to the end is the most important thing to make a videogame, even one that sucks.

Frameworks, technology.. can be limiting, or empowering, often are both (limiting something, empowering to something), but is not the most important thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    ^Well, that's 100% true.
    Even simple 10-15 minutes long "walking and talking" RPG Maker games made with built-in graphics can take few days to complete.

Remember though that learning java opens the door to a hell
    Fixed.

That's also true, but honestly, I'm not interested with programming job that's not related to making my own games.
    I've had java programming class with guy who worked in some corporation and I've learned that I should stay away from these companies if I want to keep a sane mind. But hey, that's just me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    One thing that's bugging me in Unity 2D is lack of pixel-perfect display mode. Well, theorethically is possible via certain scripts, but that's fucking abysmal thing.
    Pixel-perfect display (with good non-blurred scaling) should be main feature of EVERY 2D engine.
    Unity isn't a 2D engine or anything even remotely like it.

It's a 3D engine which supports a '2D' or 'flattened aspect' camera - it can make games which are, effectively, 'without depth' if you wish it to but it's not a '2D' game and it has no idea what a pixel is - basically...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    When it comes to general Game Development there are some simple guidelines I can offer to anyone - they apply universally...

The easier a development tool claims to be - the less if can do and the faster you will run into stuff you 'cannot' do
    The more people who use a tool - the better it will be/the more support you'll get
    There's no such thing as a 'no programming' game (that's worth playing, at least)
    Every 20 mins spent drawing-out your ideas on paper is 60 mins saved hacking away at code
    When it comes to programming - if you don't know anything, you may-as-well learn a proper one (C++ or maybe Java MAYBE)
    Stay without your comfort zone - if you're a designer or artist, find a programmer (and vice versa) - trying to do everything will kill you

The OP was really looking for a TBS Construction Kit (as per the RPG and Shooter ones you can get) but there's not really enough that's generic about TBS games to offer that. RPGs are just strings of locations/characters and some 'themed' combat/items - easily done - TBS's are MUCH more complex (trust me - the idea that turn-based=easier than real-time is founded on nothing)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    This isn't a good suggestion if you want to make a Real Game, but my first game ever made when I was learning to program was a turn-based game where nothing ever moved around (a "gladiator combat" game where the gladiators were just static portraits with stats next to them :P) and I was able to create it relatively easily in Visual Basic...which of course looked ridiculous, with native Windows GUI elements and such, but it was easy enough and, naturally, turn-based. ^_^
    Last edited by Berzee; 29-07-2014 at 07:50 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Don't ever be ashamed to make a game using ASCII or placeholders or written using Javascript or whatever because

a - the mechanics will transfer over
    b - you might just start a trend (Dwarf Fortress, for example)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Don't ever be ashamed to make a game using ASCII or placeholders or written using Javascript or whatever because

a - the mechanics will transfer over
    b - you might just start a trend (Dwarf Fortress, for example)
    c - not even your family will touch it with a 10-foot pole
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    c - not even your family will touch it with a 10-foot pole
    It's called "Marketing"

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Forgive me if I'm being dumb and misunderstanding but you can set your textures filter mode to point render instead of bi/trilinear in the import settings. No more blurred scaling.

If this isn't what you meant, ignore me.