Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yes, you can use point render for clean scaling, but Unity still have problems with pixel perfect display, I hope they will fix this.
    Otherwise that 2D support is just laughable.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Point filtering without also properly snapping the sprites will cause an extremely distracting crawling effect, which can be worse than linear filtering, especially if the sprites are large. You need special handling to handle 2D sprites correctly, especially if the "pixels" are large.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't see Unity bothering to 'fix' that - I don't think the "pixel perfect" market is something they value/prioritize - and there are loads of better tools for that job surely?

I might be wrong but Unity really does seem to offer 3D and '3D with no depth rendering" options rather than actual 2D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    and there are loads of better tools for that job surely
    Which free 2D engine have decent tools for making 2D animations and almost one component & method collisions?
    I love Unity's automatic spritesheets chopping.

Network Hub
    I know how to code, but I wanted to learn Game Maker in order to be able to quickly prototype 2D games.
    Do you know a good tutorial that explains full-script Game Maker (using the scripting AND the drag&drop interface looks like a recipe for confusion.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Which free 2D engine have decent tools for making 2D animations and almost one component & method collisions?
    I love Unity's automatic spritesheets chopping.
    I'm not a 2D 'pixel art' guy but if you're telling me that Unity is the only 'free' option for that - I'm going to be very surprised. I've made loads of 2D textured/physics-based games tho and I've used a variety of 'free' things for those (libgdx, AndEngine, Cocos and a few others)

A note on 'free' - Unity isn't really 'free' (other than as in Free2Play perhaps), almost any 'commercial quality' game will require a Pro licence and mobile requires separate licenses which quickly gets quite expensive.

I'm absolutely certain there will be better options for 2D which cost less than a Unity Pro license but I'd be very surprised if you told me there wasn't a better option for 2d Pixel-art games which costs anything at all!?
    Last edited by trjp; 30-07-2014 at 07:07 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm not telling that Unity is the only one 2D engine, lol. I'm just asking for something with similiar animation tools and simple collision check methods, it's serious question.

Network Hub
    Sorry but you cannot make any decent game without a team or without being multi-diciplined especially not without any programming skill.

i didn't combe the thread, so i don't know if it already has been suggested, but i think the best choice for a designer (what kind of designer btw? Graphical artist?) is to use Adobe Flash.

I'm sure you're familiar with it... it's not that far from Unity. You create object which work like prefabs the name i don't remember, add scripts to them, visuals, then create an instance... I learned flash back in the day when Adobe didn't own it yet just by looking at some stuff online without any knowledge of any for of programing back then....

A lot of people underestimate flash but it's a very valid game development tools, it's how a lot of good games on the App stores start. There's a bunch of Flash games on Steam even, the first one that comes to mind is Plague Inc. Game Dev Tycoon could have been easily developed in flash.

If for some reason you are adamant about not using flash, here is my best suggestion - create a prototype, somehow, again flash could be it, which will help you get a programmer interested in your project, and start working as a small team :) It's really amazing what one artist and programmer can accomplish...

But that's the unfortunate truth of it, if you want to make a game, you need to program. As an artist, you can make amazing looking stuff. As a programmer, you can make a cool game that looks shitty. My programming teacher used to say, don't try and be both.

Beeing a half assed artist and a half assed programmer doesn't make you a renaissance man. It makes you a total ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousken View Post
    i didn't combe the thread, so i don't know if it already has been suggested, but i think the best choice for a designer (what kind of designer btw? Graphical artist?) is to use Adobe Flash.
    Wait until the pixel-perfect army reads that. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Cousken View Post
    A lot of people underestimate flash but it's a very valid game development tools, it's how a lot of good games on the App stores start. There's a bunch of Flash games on Steam even, the first one that comes to mind is Plague Inc. Game Dev Tycoon could have been easily developed in flash.
    Yeah, I think the question of whether or not any of the tools suggested was fit for the style of game the OP was trying to create got somewhat lost between here and the OP's post.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Quote Originally Posted by hideinlight View Post
    Sorry but you cannot make any decent game without a team or without being multi-diciplined especially not without any programming skill.
    That would be me. One man project, no programming skill.
    Everyone starts as a newbie. Best thing is to start small with simple games.

My first game is getting on quite nicely with Gamemaker.
    Yeah you have to be multi-diciplined for sure if you are a one man team, but that you can learn while doing, if the project is small and do-able.

I'd recommend Gamemaker.
    Currently it is on sale btw.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Sorry, but Flash should died years ago and it will die as soon as every browser will have decent support for HTML5-based videos.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    OP, did you start making anything yet?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Flash's problem is ActionScript. *shivers*

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Sorry, but Flash should died years ago and it will die as soon as every browser will have decent support for HTML5-based videos.
    Flash is where the majority of game developers got their start in the last 10 years - it's demise has been entirely at the hands of Steve 'Fruitarian Idiot" Jobs who decided he didn't want Adobe's shonky software on his shonky platform (and went to ridiculous lengths to keep it away)

Yes, it's tired now - but considering it's origins it's been repeatedly made to do things it was never designed to do and much developed around it now exists outside it (Box2D being the obvious example). We (the game industry and players) owe Flash a lot.

Fact of the week: Steam Client still requires Flash - it's not dead yet!

Network Hub
    ActionScript isn't too bad actually. Early iterations were horrible but later versions have more than a passing resemblance to Java and I'm absolutely fine with that.

I know nothing of game development and coding but I do know that Solium Infernum is 2D turn based and uses Adobe Director (which isn't free and it might even be crap).
    Maybe someone who knows this stuff can add something about it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    My only experience of Flash is via Scaleform on the consoles, but actionscript can go die in a ditch on fire, based on that experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I know nothing of game development and coding but I do know that Solium Infernum is 2D turn based and uses Adobe Director (which isn't free and it might even be crap).
    Maybe someone who knows this stuff can add something about it.
    bloaty with lots of overhead, but easy to use. not much different than flash; if slightly more powerful. flash files are just much more universal and easier to port around. in fact i thought adobe discontinued director when they bought macromedia a decade ago. guess not.

re: flash - its good for packaged ui's; 2advanced has done some amazing work with it for nintendo for example; but its absolutely abhorable on the web.
    Last edited by cardinaldirection; 31-07-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    I had an idea for a game a while back, and it wouldn't been turn based and on a grid. 2D or 3D. I naively thought that that would be much easier to achieve than a real time action game. Yet there are loads of tools out there that have built in real time movement, colision detection, etc.. and allow you to quickly and easily bash together that kind of game.
    Right, let me tell you there is no difference between real time and turn based program wise. The only thing you do with turn based it change the constant ticks for the engine update(physics, logic etc) into user controlled ticks, so you add some sort of pause in between. This is trivial to do in most game engines, hence its not worth creating your own framework for.

To be fair, if you really want something either team up with a programmer that is enticed enough by your idea or dedicate yourself and learn to program.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?