Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quinns' "Captain Smith" Mount and Blade diary (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/captain-smith/) is hysterically funny and quite possibly my favourite gaming article ever.
    There is nothing more powerful than a bad idea who's time has come...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Gaming Made Me: Fallout 2 is by far the best article on the site.
    Also the best article ever.
    Obviously it's now on the front page, but Cara Ellison's S.EXE: Gone Home is beautifull.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 26-09-2014 at 10:35 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    I'll just leave this here...
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/1-spice-bread/
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Been meaning to post this for a while now:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/04/21/locked-door/
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"
    "when Sovngarde beckons, every one of us dies"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus karaquazian's Avatar
    liked the survival week. even though i'm not really into survival games, just nice to get a feel for a genre and how you can do so many varied things with the same underlying formula. might be good to do similar feature in the future, like say roguelike week or something?

Quote Originally Posted by karaquazian View Post
    liked the survival week. even though i'm not really into survival games, just nice to get a feel for a genre and how you can do so many varied things with the same underlying formula. might be good to do similar feature in the future, like say roguelike week or something?
    I second this -- turning that into a somewhat regular thing would be fun.

Obscure Node
    Space week 2?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Shark Week
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus karaquazian's Avatar
    Any interview with peter molyneux that begins "so peter are you a pathological liar" has got to be up there.

Would be cool if john got to do political interviews "hello, so are you just looking after your rich mates for a future bung or what then?"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karaquazian View Post
    Any interview with peter molyneux that begins "so peter are you a pathological liar" has got to be up there.

Would be cool if john got to do political interviews "hello, so are you just looking after your rich mates for a future bung or what then?"
    Watching him get shredded by John was painful yet extremely amusing. I kind of want Tim Schafer, Derek Smart and Chris Roberts to receive the same treatment. Verbally kicking the crap out of bullshit-prone developers is one of those things that really needs to become a modern-day blood sport.
    Guild Wars 2 - Failbaddon, Mars Baneblade, Vulkan Hellhammer
    Elite: Dangerous - EpicTheTrumble
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I would like to see your mod bits.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    Watching him get shredded by John was painful yet extremely amusing. I kind of want Tim Schafer, Derek Smart and Chris Roberts to receive the same treatment. Verbally kicking the crap out of bullshit-prone developers is one of those things that really needs to become a modern-day blood sport.
    but is it giving you information you didnt already knew? for shock value it was nice, but frankly as an interview it was quite poor.

Quote Originally Posted by peschiNL View Post
    but is it giving you information you didnt already knew? for shock value it was nice, but frankly as an interview it was quite poor.
    This interview is clearly focused on the person: a question was asked from the get go (which you might claim to have known the reply to in the first place ofc) and the rest of the piece provides material for one to form their own opinion. You don't really need to know a lot about the background (and indeed I didn't know a lot of things and learned about them along the way)

We also have another thread specifically about that post, should you be interested.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Gillen's older stuff was great and I generally think he was the best games journalist in the business. His writing was good enough that it transcended mere journalism and became criticism, in an academic sense (i.e. not critiquing or praising, as much as just interpreting, games), but it was always amusing and fun to read. So, of course, he would quit writing about games entirely.

For a long while I didn't think anyone could take up Gillen's mantle, but I lthink Cara's S.EXE feature has finally done that. It's a novel and interesting approach to writing about games....plus well written, obviously. Once she finishes (if she does) she probably won't have much difficulty turning it into a book deal if she wants to.

She's already doing one book - so we'll see how that sells, I guess!

Also worth noting that the resemblance isn't a coincidence, since Cara was at the very least was a loose protege of Gillen's.