Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    354

    Game Trailers, Cinematics, Ads, etc.

    I was looking to post the cinematic for Blizzard's upcoming Warcraft expansion, Warlords of Draenor, but there doesn't seem to be a general trailer thread around the place. Rather than make a thread just for one trailer, I thought why not kick such a thread off myself? If it's something folks are interested in or find useful, great, and if they aren't then it'll sink soon enough.

    Anyway:



    Typical stunning Blizzard quality (and hammy lines) with the bonus of nods to events from previous games. Looks to be striking a very different tone from Mists of Pandaria, likely to bring back the folks who were turned off by Pandas.
    Last edited by Lethe; 15-08-2014 at 07:37 AM.

  2. #2
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,730
    How very timey wimey. I've always had a soft spot for blizzard cinematics. It's been a long time since I played warcraft, but sometimes I still take a look at the wrath of the lich king intro.

  3. #3
    Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    708
    I always loved these awesome cinematics a couple of decades ago, when there was very little of this type of thing outside games, and the gap between cinematic quality and actual gameplay graphics was massive (think Diablo 2). Blizzard was especially good at them.

    Nowadays though, I think the money would be better spent on the game itself rather thsn the trailers like that. I would actually prefer, if there has to be a cinematic, for it to be an end game reward, the closing scene if you wish, ratger than opening the game with it. Game endings are severely lacking in payoff these days.

  4. #4
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK, Derby
    Posts
    1,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    I was looking to post the cinematic for Blizzard's upcoming Warcraft expansion, Warlords of Draenor, but there doesn't seem to be a general trailer thread around the place. Rather than make a thread just for one trailer, I thought why not kick such a thread off myself? If it's something folks are interested in or find useful, great, and if they aren't then it'll sink soon enough.
    There was a thread just recently but it didn't grow that big, so no worries, I'm sure.

    Blizzard do still know how to do CG, I'll happily give them that. I'm finding Diablo 3 (minus RoS) really, really boring, to be honest, and the story laughably bad for the most part, but man, I'm still gawping at the quality of some of the cinematics.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus L_No's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    There was a thread just recently but it didn't grow that big, so no worries, I'm sure.

    Blizzard do still know how to do CG, I'll happily give them that. I'm finding Diablo 3 (minus RoS) really, really boring, to be honest, and the story laughably bad for the most part, but man, I'm still gawping at the quality of some of the cinematics.
    The intro movie to Warcraft III was amazing too.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    The intro movie to Warcraft III was amazing too.
    And not only the intro. Every act's ending in both WarCraft III and TFT was frickin' fantastic.

    Watching Blizz's cinematics always gets the blood pumping, even to someone who's adamant about not going back to WoW, ever, the video above got me, and I hate myself for admitting that, but I feel slightly excited, nostalgic, even...for a time when I could lose myself for a couple of hours in that game.

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    The intro movie to Warcraft III was amazing too.
    All the War3 cinematics are awesome, this one is my favourite :D


  8. #8
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,098
    This is really cool too. A Dante's Inferno cinematic based on the game series published by EA, made by ND employees and others.


  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,685
    Dante's Inferno had very good trailers. I was happy to see that the game has the same beautiful nightmarish mood. This is one of the most underrated titles of last gen...

    Nothing beats the Caspian Border trailer for Battlefield 3. This convinced every fan that it's the BF they've been waiting for. It convinced everyone else to buy the game. Paracel Storm for BF4 was pretty cool too.

  10. #10
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    Nowadays though, I think the money would be better spent on the game itself rather thsn the trailers like that.
    In theory, and for most developers, I agree with you; in practice I find it hard to say no to Blizzard cinematics!

    I would actually prefer, if there has to be a cinematic, for it to be an end game reward, the closing scene if you wish, ratger than opening the game with it. Game endings are severely lacking in payoff these days.
    Problem is that most people won't finish the game. You'd be locking an expensive bit of content away from where most could see it -- content that the marketing dept. would probably love to make use too.

    Of course they (gamers) could always Youtube it. I read somewhere that the Far Cry 3 devs anticipated players checking out the non-chosen ending on Youtube and crafted the endings accordingly.
    Last edited by Lethe; 18-08-2014 at 05:17 AM.

  11. #11
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    All the War3 cinematics are awesome, this one is my favourite :D

    Great end to the Orc campaign. I was never fond of Grom though, I'm glad we'll get to beat him up in WoD :-)

  12. #12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipMagnus View Post
    And not only the intro. Every act's ending in both WarCraft III and TFT was frickin' fantastic.
    The final cinematic in Frozen Throne was magnificent. I didn't realise I cared as much as I did about Arthas' story until that moment, which sold it on cool (no pun intended) alone.

    Diablo 3 is where the contrast is most jarring- the story stuff in game is unpleasantly bad, but the cinematics are as great as ever.

    For someone who has followed very little Warcraft lore since WC3, what was going on in the cinematic? I figured that was the moment when Gul'dan persuades what-his-name Hellscream to drink demon blood before the Warcraft RTSs, and I saw that the Dark Portal was getting built anyway. Who was the hooded chap? Do we know why the past has been changed?

  13. #13
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by vmenge View Post
    Great end to the Orc campaign. I was never fond of Grom though, I'm glad we'll get to beat him up in WoD :-)
    Didn't he die in War3, and specifically in that cutscene? How is he in Warlords of Draenor? I'm so confused lol.

    But I like him anyway, I remember him as a playable character in WarCraft 2: Tides of Darkness :P

    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    The final cinematic in Frozen Throne was magnificent. I didn't realise I cared as much as I did about Arthas' story until that moment, which sold it on cool (no pun intended) alone.

    Diablo 3 is where the contrast is most jarring- the story stuff in game is unpleasantly bad, but the cinematics are as great as ever.
    I know... War3 was so damn good :D

    Diablo 3 I very much agree. I don't even care about the story, it's presentation is sooooo bad during the game. But yea the cutscenes are still good.

    But yea I can't even enjoy how good they are because the rest is just soo bad... :(

  14. #14
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    Didn't he die in War3, and specifically in that cutscene? How is he in Warlords of Draenor? I'm so confused lol.

    But I like him anyway, I remember him as a playable character in WarCraft 2: Tides of Darkness :P
    From what I've heard, Warlords of Draenor's premise is that Garrosh Hellscream traveled back in time to when the orcs weren't corrupted and enslaved by demons yet and convinced his father (Grom Hellscream) not to drink of Mannoroth's blood (that's what we see in the cinematic). As we see, they proceed to build the Dark Portal to invade Azeroth anyway.

  15. #15
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,084
    Why does Dante's Inferno need fan fiction?
    9780140448955H.jpg

    Anyway I really liked the Deus Ex: Human Revolution video with the references to Icarus and the Rembrant painting, it got a certain mood that I don't think in-game would really catch.

  16. #16
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    228
    I thought the intro for Arkham Aylum was fantastic. It was almost too fantastic.

  17. #17
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,335
    Sadly they went cheap and did not add a end cinematic to Reaper of Souls.

  18. #18
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus L_No's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Subatomic View Post
    From what I've heard, Warlords of Draenor's premise is that Garrosh Hellscream traveled back in time to when the orcs weren't corrupted and enslaved by demons yet and convinced his father (Grom Hellscream) not to drink of Mannoroth's blood (that's what we see in the cinematic). As we see, they proceed to build the Dark Portal to invade Azeroth anyway.
    The story does get retconned more every time an expansion comes around, doesn't it?
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

  19. #19
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    2,004
    I'm gonna jump on and say Blizzard still makes some good cinematics. Even in the time when Diablo 2 is released, I'm still facinated on how are they making cinemtics as fantastic as this one at a time when 3D CG was still in its infancy


    Speaking of, heard some good things about Reaper of Souls, how's that?
    Art blog here.

    Doodles poodles sheboodles

    Watch me fail as Nobunaga

  20. #20
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    Didn't he die in War3, and specifically in that cutscene? How is he in Warlords of Draenor? I'm so confused lol.
    Time-traveling-alternate-dimension-shenanigans :-P

    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    The story does get retconned more every time an expansion comes around, doesn't it?
    They're not treating it like a retcon though, it's a whole other dimension. Like a parallel timeline just to explore older characters that didn't have a chance to shine (plus Draenor looks awesome).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •