i5/7 K users - do you routinely overclock?

I recently finished building my new PC with a i5 2500K and I guess there are plenty of others here with new-ish PCs who are using these CPUs. So just wondering, given that overclocking is so easy on these unlocked K Intels...do you run a constant overclock on yours, and if so how stable is it and does it trouble with you any glitches/crashes compared with running at stock?

My only experiment with overclocking so far has been using the one-click OC Genie thing on my motherboard (MSI P67A GD53) which gave me 4.2 GHz straight off, though from what I've read the chip is no doubt capable of 4.5 GHz or more fairly easily by manual overclocking (yes I know about the bit-tech guide) - I've not got around to fiddling with that yet, though I will soon.

I'm asking because for the week or so I ran at overclock I had occasional hiccups that I don't get at all at stock: Nvidia display drivers would freeze up for a few seconds and then automatically recover from a crash most times when the desktop started up. Also had a couple of instances of locked sound loops (with the rest of the PC running OK) that needed a restart (I've got an Asus Xonar DG soundcard). And a couple of times when my Eclipse 2 USB keyboard went dead, again a restart needed. None of these are big deal particulaly, but enough to make me go back to stock settings for the time being. Right now I'm mostly playing Portal 2, DX:HR and other stuff that easily manages 60FPS at stock and so not demanding enough for an overclock to make any useful difference. But when I get to Arma II, Crysis etc I guess it would be nice to have the free FPS boost all the time, if the PC can stay stable (but not an essential obviously or I would have just spent more on a beefier PC in the first place...)

Not really looking for a detailed tech shake-down here on what all my BIOS settings should be, I can experiment more with that for myself, just wondering if others are easily getting a glitch-free 24-7 overclock on these chips so I know if that's reasonable expectation to aim for? I have an after-market cooler (Arctic Freezer 7) and three decent fans in the case so temperature shouldn't be a problem if I do decide to overclock - my CPU was running at max 47-50c ish in Crysis with a 4.2Ghz overclock.
    Last edited by Colonel J; 26-09-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Hmm, I'm also interested in this topic. I recently upgraded my PC and it now has an i5 k, but I've never overclocked before.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I have a i7 2.8 and albeit I have OC'd it (and other processors) before I reverted it because I wasn't convinced the gain was that fantastic Vs the extra oomph on the electricity Vs just buying a faster processor down the road.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

If you want to overclock for gaming then I wouldnt really bother. The i5 2500k is so fast that it will only bottleneck you if your running two very powerful cards in Sli.

Well, I haven't even tried overclocking my 2500k yet, but from any benchmarks I've seen, it's certainly not the bottleneck. Apparently even stuff like Crysis on max gets over 60fps easily, and most games go way higher. I'd say it isn't hugely important anyway, unless you have a top of the line graphics card.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Agreed. I have the same chip as you (maybe even the same motherboard) and not had any difficulties running games with it at stock speed. If you are experiencing any slow down, it is far more likely down to your GPU.

It might be nice to have that big clock speed number, but, as I understand it, the clock speed isn't really that significant nowadays.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    It might be nice to have that big clock speed number, but, as I understand it, the clock speed isn't really that significant nowadays.
    It's still significant when you're talking about overclocking a CPU, but it's not a good comparison of performance between different models of processor anymore.

Given that most games still fail to make full use of my Q6600, I doubt there's much need to overclock an i5 at this point. If you're playing games like X3 Terran Conflict that are CPU intensive and only use 1 core then it might be worthwhile, and also if you're into video recording and editing, as a faster CPU is always helpful there.

Activated Node
    I have the i5 2500k, I put mine at 4.2 manually, and haven't had any issues yet, running it cool under a Corsair H80. Im also running SLI EVGA SC 570's with 8 gig of ram. I can't say I've noticed a huge difference in my games, but the Heaven Benchmark went from 1400ish score at stock speed, to 2013 Overlocked speed

Activated Node
    The only reason I OC a CPU is if I use a programm or play a game that can only use 1 core on the CPU. Other then that, a quad or higher CPU is a bit pointless to OC, due to good multi core support in most applications.

I have my 2500k set at 4300 as the "Turbo" target...so it still idles down when bored, but cranks to the higher speed when frisky.

Achieved by changing the multiplier to 43 (and leaving the base clock at the default 100mhz). I also used some negative voltage offset in the BIOS (about 0.015) to again allow the thing to pull less power at idle and keep the max voltage below 1.3 - well in the "safe" zone.

I know I can keep going to about 4.5 on these settings, but the gains over the initial 30% OC seem minimal and I don't want to overtax it too much.

The thing is rock solid stable and, as above, I gain noticably in Unigine and in 3D Mark 11 (in the physics section etc). As I am running SLI 570s as well, I don't think this is a wasted OC.

FWIW I also have a huuuuge cooler - the thing idles at 27-32 and Prime95 or Intel Burn peaks in the late 50s/very early 60s.
    open-faced club sand wedge

Thanks for all the inputs. A general consensus here of 'I could...but it's not really worth bothering with'. Unless you're running SLI (I'm not) and really feel the need to chase a bit more performance out of the CPU.

If I get the time and inclination I will see if I can get my 4.2GHz o/c to run without the few snags I've had so far. Mostly to satisfy my own curiosity I want to see if there's much actual difference in Crysis performance on my GTX560ti and whether it's worth running a bit of an occasional o/c in games like that.

Obscure Node
    Hey Colonel J, going from the other thread we have almost identical systems now. I used this guide to get 4.5ghz out of mine been running prime95 for 2hours topping out at 60c but averaging 56 with the darkrock advanced. The good thing is you can add the settings to a oc template in bios so you can use it when and as you want.

Don't use the genie button to achieve that 4.2ghz though it runs way too hot you can achieve better doing it manually like it says in the guide.

I've not had enough experience with the system to know how much you gain from it but I'll be running 3d mark for a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
    Hey Colonel J, going from the other thread we have almost identical systems now. I used this guide to get 4.5ghz out of mine been running prime95 for 2hours topping out at 60c but averaging 56 with the darkrock advanced. The good thing is you can add the settings to a oc template in bios so you can use it when and as you want.

Don't use the genie button to achieve that 4.2ghz though it runs way too hot you can achieve better doing it manually like it says in the guide.

I've not had enough experience with the system to know how much you gain from it but I'll be running 3d mark for a good idea.
    Thanks, that guide you posted is useful. Good to know that about the OC Genie, I'll give it a try manually.