Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

What are you cooking?

No cooking threads?!? Horrifying!

Tonight, we shall be having grilled lamb chops and asparagus. I never even enjoyed lamb until somebody recommended grilling it-- the fat burns so nicely, and once you've got some good grill marks on either side, the bone conducts heat perfectly from the coals to the rest of the chop.

I use a lighter marinade for lamb than I do other meats: a bit of red wine vinegar, a bit of olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper of course. Then I use a lot of lemon juice (I prefer lime for other marinades) and some rosemary. The asparagus marinates in the same pan as the lamb chops.

I believe I'll serve it with a light salad of baby spinach and tomato. For the first time in years, the grocery store has started stocking good tomatoes, and I can't get enough of them. There's still some gorgonzola in the refrigerator, so maybe I'll make a dressing out of that and whatever dairy I can scrounge up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Oh, I love lamb! Grill it, roast it in the oven or make some nice meatballs with it and I'm set! The important bit is to cook it just long enough. Don't cook it long enough and neither flavour nor texture is good. Cook it too long and.. well, no meat should be too well-done. We buy more or less a whole lamb every autumn from a farmer nearby, which is just amazing!

Summering at my parents' holiday home atm, which is always nice. Today we had beef tenderloin in a sauce of Roquefort (were planning on Gorgonzola, but didn't have any... Roquefort was good, but much stronger flavour) and cream, with pasta. It's a good way to make use of the ends of the tenderloin that are too small to use on their own. I'd have liked some tomatoes with it, but my sister had run off with them earlier. Had some parsley on top, which was kind of nice. Just me and mom tonight, which is a prerequisite for this, since neither dad nor my sister like cheese. Cretins. Dad's actually away catching dinner for tomorrow, which is...

Crayfish! Hallelujah! We're debuting a week early, but that's no biggie unless you're a die-hard traditionalist. I love crayfish, just like any other Swede (maybe a bit more), but fresh and home-cooked is just the best! Can't wait!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    I live a boring life and cook boring food. Also I'm the laziest man on earth.

Usually I bake turkey breast in the aerogrill. I have no idea how the process of preparing meat is called in elnglish, when you take the piece, smudge it with mayo and/or mustard, add onion and then put it into a fridge for a night. Then I just put it into aerogrill without the onion because it burns and leave a smell. Meanwhile I cook rice, add some olive oil. Eat it with some ketchup, drink lots of water.

Also, Belorussian potato fritters( no idea, google translated) aka "draniki". A bit annoying to cook but pretty good. Four or five potatoes grated into an almost paste, one onion grated same way, two big spoons of flour, two chicken eggs, optionally couple of big spoons of oats. Smash it al ltogether and put into aerogrill. 10 mins on one side and 10 on another, requires a solid surface to cook on( I put aluminium foil on a grate). Add sourcream( or anything, really) to the result.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

I have discovered I can exist entirely on gammon and garlic bread for days at a time, and it appears to be doing my waistline some good.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Network Hub
    The lamb ended up being fantastic. I put a few dates and peperoncini on the salad. The real star was the gorgonzola dressing, which was perfect with both the salad and the lamb: about a tablespoon of gorgonzola, two of parmesan, a splash of milk and a splash of apple cider vinegar and a splash of lemon juice, a hint of mayonnaise, maybe a half teaspoon, sour cream to bulk it out, maybe three tablespoons. And, of course, salt, pepper, garlic. Which everything gets, always.

I think my plan tonight is to make homemade ravioli, which I have never tried before, but it turns out that making fresh pasta is easier than I thought it would be-- I just tried for the first time about a week ago, and the hardest part was getting all the fettuccine cut and not sticking to itself. Not sure about fillings: spinach+parmesan+white sauce sounds good, but there's also a bit of chicken sausage I need to use up, and mushrooms, and some pesto...

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    neither dad nor my sister like cheese. Cretins.
    Insane.

Crayfish! Hallelujah!
    Oh my god. I love crayfish. Let's just clarify, you're talking about these, right?

300_crawdads.jpg

I had crawfish once-- caught fresh, boiled in their shell, and served in a five gallon white plastic bucket-- and fell in love. I've been looking for them since. Found them once, but they were intended for animal feed or something and stunk of ammonia so I tossed them.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Usually I bake turkey breast in the aerogrill. I have no idea how the process of preparing meat is called in elnglish, when you take the piece, smudge it with mayo and/or mustard, add onion and then put it into a fridge for a night.
    Lol I don't know what you call it either, never done it myself :) Sounds a little like marinade-- but different? Sounds delicious though.

And I'd never even heard of an aerogrill before. I had to look it up.

It's fun reading about cooking from different parts of the world. What kind of vegetables do you eat in Belarus? It looks like turnip+cabbage country.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I mostly keep my food simple, I can't really afford to keep lots of fancy ingredients around, and half of them end up going bad and getting chucked out if I don't know what to do with them. But that doesn't mean I can't have nice food! I make most of my meals from the basic ingredients (except bread/dough, too much effort).

Last night I had bolognese, but with spinach and parsley instead of the usual English mess of onions, mushrooms and an Oxo cube. Mixed it all up with the pasta after cooking, topped with cheese and baked for 20 minutes. Delicious, and much easier than making proper lasagne.

Burger and chips (fries) are another thing that's much nicer when they're not pre-prepared. Let baking potatoes sit until they go wrinkly, slice them up, coat in oil and seasoning and bake for ~30 minutes. Crispy on the outside and fluffy inside, I have some sesame oil for some reason and they taste great cooked in that. Burgers involve squidging your hands around in a bowl of meat and spices, but you can flavour them yourself without the huge amounts of filler and weird frozen burger flavour.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Lol I don't know what you call it either, never done it myself :) Sounds a little like marinade-- but different? Sounds delicious though.
    Marinade it is. I'm just doing it wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

I managed to burn some bacon in the kitchen today. Had to eat salad like a filthy animal instead.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

And, of course, salt, pepper, garlic. Which everything gets, always.
    Yes. Everything. Always. (mostly..) The dressing sounds nice! Not sure about putting milk in it, but maybe I'm just narrow-minded.

I think my plan tonight is to make homemade ravioli
    Do it! I've ended up making ravioli both times I've made my own pasta. It's a good base for some creativity. Good ravioli is some of my favourite food.

Oh my god. I love crayfish. Let's just clarify, you're talking about these, right?

I had crawfish once-- caught fresh, boiled in their shell, and served in a five gallon white plastic bucket-- and fell in love. I've been looking for them since. Found them once, but they were intended for animal feed or something and stunk of ammonia so I tossed them.
    Yeah, that looks about right. If you're desperate for crayfish, I wouldn't be surprised if IKEA has some frozen, especially during August (traditional crayfish season). They probably won't be top notch, but one must make do with what's available. Or just go to Sweden!

Dad got home too late for us to have them really ready for dinner, so we'll go cray cray tomorrow instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    I mostly keep my food simple, I can't really afford to keep lots of fancy ingredients around, and half of them end up going bad and getting chucked out if I don't know what to do with them. But that doesn't mean I can't have nice food! I make most of my meals from the basic ingredients (except bread/dough, too much effort).

Last night I had bolognese, but with spinach and parsley instead of the usual English mess of onions, mushrooms and an Oxo cube. Mixed it all up with the pasta after cooking, topped with cheese and baked for 20 minutes. Delicious, and much easier than making proper lasagne.

Burger and chips (fries) are another thing that's much nicer when they're not pre-prepared. Let baking potatoes sit until they go wrinkly, slice them up, coat in oil and seasoning and bake for ~30 minutes. Crispy on the outside and fluffy inside, I have some sesame oil for some reason and they taste great cooked in that. Burgers involve squidging your hands around in a bowl of meat and spices, but you can flavour them yourself without the huge amounts of filler and weird frozen burger flavour.
    Simple food is good! Food isn't supposed to be arduous. I tend to prefer having fewer ingredients that really get to shine over using 50 different things (often disappearing in the fray anyway). Don't get me wrong, I like both making and eating more complex dishes as well, but it's not usually what I go for.

Have you tried putting chicken liver in the bolognese? Once in a while, I do this slow bolognese, simmering on the stove for hours, and the liver gives it a really nice richness. Sesame oil is great. I wish I had more oils, but I tend to just let them sit around, without ever using them.

Network Hub
    Yes. Everything. Always. (mostly..) The dressing sounds nice! Not sure about putting milk in it, but maybe I'm just narrow-minded.
    Well, water would work. It's just the remant of some blue cheese dressing recipe I read that had two tablespoons of everything that you can get out of an udder-- I haven't figured out what's essential yet. Just like I haven't yet figured out how to fit garlic into my morning coffee :)

By the way, it's really interesting to me that crayfish is a Swedish thing. Around here, it's a Louisiana thing, and Louisiana is some kind of strange US subculture that barely qualifies as American-- but is certainly not Swedish. (I guess some people call crayfish "langostine" which is what I wanted to clarify. I've got some honest-to-god langostine in the freezer as well, hard to figure out what to do with them though.)

Do it! I've ended up making ravioli both times I've made my own pasta. It's a good base for some creativity. Good ravioli is some of my favourite food.
    It didn't work out as well as I had hoped it would. First, I made this amazing stuffing from mushrooms, sausage, and parmesan, but I think some of the delicious oiliness of it got washed out by the cooking water. Second, they were just too thick. I'm just using a rolling pin, and it didn't occur to me that a ravioli is two layers of pasta. I could get away with fettuccine that was a little thicker than normal (i like to use the word "rustic" a lot :) ) but it didn't work with the ravioli.

Tonight: I just started a bit of yeast water for a small boule. For anyone that hasn't tried, I recommend making your own breads: it's not as much work as I once thought, it just means thinking about things a couple hours earlier-- then returning to video games :) Since my fridge contains several kinds of ground meat that need using, I imagine I'll put together a meatloaf later on tonight-- ground turkey, pork sausage, hamburger, some diced onion, and lots of garlic. Ground turkey has a really fantastic flavor if you can find a way around the ridiculously low fat content. And then, since there's no ketchup in the house, I'll have to rig up some kind of ketchup substitute for it. Maybe just a bit of vinegar and sugar in some canned tomato sauce; maybe I can collect the meatloaf drippings and stir them in as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I don't do marinades often, involves too much planning ahead. I did a nice one a while ago: chicken marinaded in maple syrup, soy sauce, lime and ginger. Delicious with rice, kind of a thai flavour. Not sure where I got the maple syrup bit from, seemed like an odd suggestion when I found it but I didn't have any honey. Worked well anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    I love crayfish, just like any other Swede
    Speak for yourself. I'd rather let the exoskeleton-clad, muck-dwelling, cadaver-eating little arthropod monsters stay in the filthy mud where they belong. *shudder*

I'm trying to make the most of these few months of the year when there's an abundance of fresh vegetables, fruit and berries available which haven't been carted half-way around the world to get here. Since I also live on my own and am rather lazy this has resulted in an awful lot of "something fried/grilled to a crisp with lots of veggies".

Also pancakes. Always pancakes.

Just like I haven't yet figured out how to fit garlic into my morning coffee :)
    There's a restaurant in Stockholm (I think it's called Bröderna Olsson or something (= The Olsson brothers)) that literally has garlic in everything. Garlic beer, garlic ice cream, and so on and so forth. I'm not sure if it's still around, though. Supposedly, it's extremely popular with people from my home region.

By the way, it's really interesting to me that crayfish is a Swedish thing. Around here, it's a Louisiana thing, and Louisiana is some kind of strange US subculture that barely qualifies as American-- but is certainly not Swedish. (I guess some people call crayfish "langostine" which is what I wanted to clarify. I've got some honest-to-god langostine in the freezer as well, hard to figure out what to do with them though.)
    Hehe. No, I'm pretty sure that the similarities between Louisiana and Sweden end at the shellfish. However, and I may be wrong about this, but I think that langostine is sort of like a lobster without claws and is not used in Swedish cuisine (I do believe it's popular around the Mediterranean, though). Crayfish is smaller, with claws, and can be found in both fresh water and salt water. The most common around here is fresh water crayfish (there are different kinds, why make it easy?), which is what we had tonight, although I've recently started appreciating the salt water variety as well.

Unfortunately, they were... a bit on the salty side tonight. Copious amounts of alcohol were therefore consumed, so my apologies if this is a bit fuzzy.

It didn't work out as well as I had hoped it would.
    I'm sorry to hear that. I can see the thickness becoming an issue. What did you have with it?

meatloaf
    First off, you eat your meatloaf with ketchup? What blasphemy is this? It should be: Meatloaf, potatoes, gravy (I think. I don't know the difference between gravy and sauce, or whatever) and lingonberry jam. Maybe something extra on the side.

Secondly, I never ever eat turkey. I like it, but it's just not part of my repertoire. We rarely had it when i grew up and I've never made it myself. I really ought to get around to it someday.

Thirdly, that sounds like one hell of a meatloaf. Is it normal for an American meatloaf to be a bit of whatever you come across? The meatloafs I've had have all been made of ground pork or beef or, usually, a mix of both. I hope that this doesn't come across as condescending, as I''m genuinely interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    Speak for yourself. I'd rather let the exoskeleton-clad, muck-dwelling, cadaver-eating little arthropod monsters stay in the filthy mud where they belong. *shudder*
    They are indeed quite vile creatures. Therefore, I've made it my mission to rid the world of them all, one kräftskiva at a time. Don't worry, your help is not required. I've got this covered.

Also pancakes. Always pancakes.
    Which is something I'm a little ashamed to say I've probably never made. Possibly in home ec or something. Bad Swede! Bad! I have started doing raggmunkar, though! For non-Swedes, that's sort of like thin pancakes (or as we call them in Sweden: pancakes) with potatoes in them. Often served with fried pork belly (like thicker bacon) and the omnipresent lingonberry jam.

Network Hub
    First off, you eat your meatloaf with ketchup? What blasphemy is this? It should be: Meatloaf, potatoes, gravy (I think. I don't know the difference between gravy and sauce, or whatever) and lingonberry jam. Maybe something extra on the side.
    Ketchup is very common over here, especially on meatloaf. It's typical to glaze the meatloaf with some kind of ketchup and serve it with it as well. Gravy is also acceptable. Potatoes are fine, even traditional, but that's more bulk than I'd prefer. We don't really do lingonberries :)

The meatloaf turned out very good, as well as the boule and tomato sauce. Served with asparagus because I bought way too much and have to use it up :)

Thirdly, that sounds like one hell of a meatloaf. Is it normal for an American meatloaf to be a bit of whatever you come across? The meatloafs I've had have all been made of ground pork or beef or, usually, a mix of both. I hope that this doesn't come across as condescending, as I''m genuinely interested.
    It's not typical. Most US meatloaf is just hamburger. But beyond the fact that I had many scraps of stuff in my fridge, I like to mix meats like that. Like I said, turkey has a good, distinctive flavor, but not nearly enough fat content. Pork sausage is about the cheapest kind of meat you can buy over here, and has too much fat. Then some hamburger to keep it from being too weird.

I don't really know what I'm doing-- just enjoy putting meals together, and prefer doing it without looking at recipes, so sometimes I do things strangely :)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I miss lamb soooo much.
    Japanese people don't eat it and even if they do try, they cook it in a weird way that makes it all greasy and then complain that lamb is greasy and oily. (???)

I cannot claim to be good at cooking, or have any decent recipes. I tend to just cook something quick with whatever is in the fridge, or just browse recipes online and try to find one that kind of matches what I have in the fridge. (and I never have the right ingredients, doubly in japan, so I always have to wing it).

As such, anything mexican or chinese or that I can stir fry is usually the order of the day.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    They are indeed quite vile creatures. Therefore, I've made it my mission to rid the world of them all, one kräftskiva at a time. Don't worry, your help is not required. I've got this covered.
    Thanks! At least it's not surströmming. :)

Which is something I'm a little ashamed to say I've probably never made. Possibly in home ec or something. Bad Swede! Bad!
    I've had pancakes in some form once a week for the past 15 years. It's just so easy to make, so very yummy and leftover pancakes are perfect breakfast. You should make some, just remember to use proper butter for the pan and if they fall apart when turning toss in an extra egg.

We don't really do lingonberries :)
    Adding jam with meat dishes might sound like madness but lingonberry jam doesn't taste very sweet and has a really unique flavour. If you can find some (IKEA might again be a good place to look) I'd say it's worth trying - just don't mix it with ketchup. I'm not too fond of having it with meat and potatoes but I love it with Swedish oven pancake which is really easy to make:

1. Make ordinary pancake batter (milk, eggs, flour, salt) and add an extra egg or two.

2. Butter up a big pan.

3. Pour into pan and add topping of your choice. I prefer thin slices of bacon, but some (weirdos) like sweeter things like fruit or berries.

4. Put it in the oven at ~200 degrees (C) until it's risen and turned golden brown around the edges (usually around half an hour).

5. Eat with lots of lingonberry jam.
    Last edited by Skalpadda; 02-08-2014 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    Swedish oven pancake which is really easy to make:

1. Make ordinary pancake batter (milk, eggs, flour, salt) and add an extra egg or two.

2. Butter up a big pan.

3. Pour into pan and add topping if your choice. I prefer thin slices of bacon, but some (weirdos) like sweeter things like fruit or berries.

4. Put it in the oven at ~200 degrees (C) until it's risen and turned golden brown around the edges (usually around half an hour).

5. Eat with lots of lingonberry jam.
    I can also recommend making a plain oven pancake and serve with sour cream, onion (preferably red), lettuce and ham or roe. Or just eat it with jam (I like raspberry).

I eat gallons of lingonberry jam in a year. I love it! As with everything else, there's lingonberry jam and then there's lingonberry jam. I tend to go for what we call raw stirred lingonberries (not really jam at all, just berries stirred with sugar, without heating). I also eat insane amounts of black pudding, which simply demands lingonberries.

Oh, and I'll be eating surströmming in a few weeks (some people from the surströmming academy are coming over). I've tried it once before and it's not half bad. Can't think of anything that smells worse, though.

A scogliera (pasta and various fish)
    post in progress

Network Hub
    Been a couple of days of ordering pizza, making grilled cheese sandwiches (mm good ones though) and scrambled eggs, but I gues tonight is Mexican night. Or something. (People always say, "That's just Texmex" as if Texas and California aren't parts of Mexico.)

So I'm making grilled chicken thighs that are currently marinading in a mixture notable for lime, soy sauce, and jalapeno. I prefer chicken breasts, but thighs are cheap. I will serve with grilled corn, guacamole, and flour tortillas. Flour tortillas are maybe the tastiest thing I make; the recipe is very simple, but it's a pain in the ass to roll them all out. Since avocados are one of the few things that haven't really increased in price in the last twenty years, it's going to end up a very affordable meal, maybe US$2.50 a plate.

I prefer chicken breasts, but thighs are cheap.
    Really? Why? Don't breasts have a greater tendency to become dry? I hate that in chicken. That delicate balance between undercooking and overcooking chicken is pretty much why I don't do much of it. That and the fowl taste. Eheh. I'll show myself out.

Also, making your own tortillas? Never tried it. And I do Tex-Mex like once per week. No, literally.

As I think I mentioned above, we pretty much have an entire lamb in our freezer, which we're slowly working our way through. It's hard work, but someone's gotta do it. Today was hectic, so we just threw the ribs on the BBQ (marinated for a while before), and ate it with store bought (*Gasp!*) potato salad, tomatoes and a salad with some mustard- and lemon dressing (I mostly skipped that part).

The real star was a few days ago. We marinated the shoulder (oil, salt, pepper, garlic, I think rosemary and maybe lemon) and put on the BBQ, alternating between direct and indirect heat to get it just right. Beautiful. Served it with potato puree and ratatouille. The combo of ratatouille, potato puree and good meat is a family favourite that we picked up from a whole-in-the-wall in Nice.

Tomorrow, we'll make soup from the shells of the crayfish we had last week. Saturday will be more crayfish! Store-bought this time, but fresh in a bucket. Should be pretty awesome!