Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Incorporating Gaming Into You Daily Life?

Months after playing Battlefield 3, I am made aware that there is an official apps of Battlelog for Android phone (having been using one from months ago, just loving it as an excellent ebook reader!!). That says, I can easily read my own stats at the street, and chat in its very active forum.

I played only one to two hours a night and few nights a week, so currently I am not so much involved in the game. So have you have experience in other online games which get you much more involved into them, so much that you may start incorporating the gaming into your normal daily life?

I don't quite understand what you mean by "incorporating gaming into everyday life".

Checking stats and being active on the forum doesn't count as gaming in my book. And "daily life" would mean work and family for me. I can't see how these could be mingled with gaming... So, no, I never have and never will incorporate gaming into my everyday life. Natural Selection 2 brought me close to spending every free minute I had either thinking about, writting about it or playing it. But it was still seperate from my routine.

In my opinion the only way to make gaming part of your daily routine is to work in the business.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    No. My gaming time is entertainment time. If a game feels like work, I'm not going to play it.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach View Post
    In my opinion the only way to make gaming part of your daily routine is to work in the business.
    My normal daily life involves gaming because gaming is something I normally do most days. Simple as that. People I see on a daily basis play games and talk about games--people at work, people I live with. Daily life.

I don't like the idea of screwing around with little mobile apps that hook into my games, though. That sounds frightfully dull. I already don't like grind, unlock systems, and so forth when there's a proper game to go along with it. Taking the game away and just leaving the skinner box sounds horrifying.

As for chatting about games through online communities as part of my daily life ... well, that's what I'm in these forums for. I do that every day. Not sure what's ... notable about that. What's notable about the distinction between "daily life" and "not daily life" except things like ... going on vacation. Going to conventions. Playing something once a month. Or what-have-you.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 03-08-2014 at 08:14 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I like checking in on Fallen London every now and then during the day, but that's because I still have new content to explore. What I would really like is a way to incorporate actual games into exercise. Like running on (and jumping) a treadmill lets you move in minecraft or a Mario 64 rom.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What I would really like is a way to incorporate actual games into exercise. Like running on (and jumping) a treadmill lets you move in minecraft or a Mario 64 rom.
    Wii Fit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    The only thing that I can say is close to that is watching loads of videos and articles about a particular game you like. No video game has really done that for me.

Android Netrunner has though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    WoW has an iOS app that lets you check on auctions, sign up for guild events and even access guild chat, so it can get pretty incorporated into your life if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post

I played only one to two hours a night and few nights a week, so currently I am not so much involved in the game. So have you have experience in other online games which get you much more involved into them, so much that you may start incorporating the gaming into your normal daily life?
    Not really online but Johann Sebastian Joust is supposed to be a multiplayer duel thing.
    I've never seen anyone playing it though.
    post in progress

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    No. My gaming time is entertainment time. If a game feels like work, I'm not going to play it.
    Despite the fact that I play Dota 2 (which has a pretty immense learning curve), I generally agree. That's why I stopped playing MMOs a few years back. Any game that requires me to rearrange my life schedule to play it will no longer be tolerated.

Dota may not be quick (~20-60 mins per match), but at least I can play it on my own schedule. Asheron's Call and Guild Wars were fun experiences, but being involved in guild organization, competing in PvP, Elite missions (waiting for peeps, then ~1-3hrs), etc. ... Those are things I will never do again.

Playing Minecraft on a multi-player server is fun

running a multi-player server is work :\