Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Biohazard Starts to Lose Its Glow

So as the Japanese game industry. One very worrying phenomenon: tons of remakes for once popular titles.

So Biohazard doesn't escape this fate: now it has a remake of Biohazard 1

Worse of all, as they themselves pointed out in the presentation: this has been the 2nd remake (I think GameCube and Wii versions should be counted as one remake) for one single title. Seriously, without any true new element, I am rather satisfied with the 1st edition.

Biohazard 4, while itself a commercial success and an outstanding title, so much failed to lead the franchise into a new, promising future. What a shame
    Last edited by squirrel; 05-08-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well, if only all remakes were like RE:make - with new models, new textures, new lighting, new enemies (crimsonheads), refined gameplay (e.g. defensive weapons). And at heart it's still good old Resident Evil 1.

That second remake (or rather just port) isn't much more than so called "HD editions" that just run on higher resolution than usual, maybe with slightly sharper textures.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Actually I misspoke. This is actually a Remastered, not a Remake. This is going to be essentially a refined version of the Gamecube / Wii Remake version. But of course, they have to substantially further refine the graphics to justify charging us for this aged title.

And some commented in local forums that judging from this presentation, the outcome is not much better than Gamecube / Wii version's graphics upscaled by a PC run Gamecube / Wii emulator.
    Last edited by squirrel; 05-08-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar
    Well, I'm glad PC is finally seeing REmake. I have never played it but people constantly say it's the best old school Resident Evil.
    While I have no qualms with emulation at least it's finally legal.

By the way, as somebody who isn't really a fan of the series, I reckon RE has lost its glow 5-6 years ago; frankly, the thread title is a tad misleading.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Resi 1 was rubbish when it came out, you can't remake those stains out.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Actually I misspoke. This is actually a Remastered, not a Remake. This is going to be essentially a refined version of the Gamecube / Wii Remake version. But of course, they have to substantially further refine the graphics to justify charging us for this aged title.

And some commented in local forums that judging from this presentation, the outcome is not much better than Gamecube / Wii version's graphics upscaled by a PC run Gamecube / Wii emulator.
    It is also coming out to 360, PS3, One, PS4. Not just PC. Some like to play older titles they once played on newer systems. Some were to young to have been playing RE1 on the PSOne to experience it originally (or never knew the GameCube version got ported to the Wii).

You should contact Capcom and ask to do all 5 ports for free so they don't have to charge us.

Updates to classic can bring some revenue. Microsoft's PC presence now is contracting devs to update older PC titles to Steam. Square Enix is huge bringing some classics to new platforms. Mobile is a huge focus, seeing a lot of classic titles being ported to phones.
    Last edited by Moraven; 05-08-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Prolar Bear View Post
    frankly, the thread title is a tad misleading.
    squirrel, with a sensationalist/misleading title? Say it ain't so!

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    squirrel, with a sensationalist/misleading title? Say it ain't so!
    As a rule I don't block people because I never get angry enough. But Squirrel is really boring me.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Speak for yourself, it was a really popular title at the time and personally I found it to be a lot of fun/scare (I was younger back then, mind). Much better than 5, 6, and the various other outlets barfed out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Is this the new "in" thing to do, just complain about everything that happens that isn't within a very strict personal definition of what "gaming should be?"
    No, they really don't.

If you don't want it, don't buy it. Simples.

Squirrel is essentially a jingoistic parody. A Japanese franchise is getting some criticism so he's excited.

*with (very) rare furores into discussing games apolitically which he does with panache.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    Speak for yourself, it was a really popular title at the time and personally I found it to be a lot of fun/scare (I was younger back then, mind). Much better than 5, 6, and the various other outlets barfed out.
    Speak for yourself; 6 is still my favourite. ;)

(Out of original 1, original 2, 4, 5 and 6.)

Fair enough, you are allowed to have your own (wrong!) opinion. :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    Fair enough, you are allowed to have your own (wrong!) opinion. :P
    I've said this before on this forum, but what the hell, I'll take the opportunity to stand up for #6 again.

I mean don't get me, uh, wrong; I can totally see why fans of the earlier games (certainly anything pre-#4) would shun it. But I insist that as a bombastic action game it's terrific. It's bloated and over-stuffed, yes, but that's not a deal-breaker for me. It's still a solid, fantastic-looking third person shooter that's very, very much Resident Evil - the other games were every bit as daft - and is great fun to play. It's just that if you want a slow, methodical tramp round a haunted house stuffed with puzzles, sure, it's going to put you right off.

Now I'm with Helio on this, I think the earlier games were always wildly over-rated simply because ZOMBIES, WHOOO, but that's a whole other argument - I can certainly accept Capcom have completely changed the remit of the franchise and that they've mostly done it in a potentially misguided attempt to make more money. It's just I don't think that means every new Resident Evil's been a Bad Game. Quite the opposite - #6 was seriously one of my favourite games last year.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Aren't the stains part of the appeal?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    RE6 have very good mechanics and poor CoD-esque story mode.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Well story is not strongest part of RE games to be honest.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Well story is not strongest part of RE games to be honest.
    I'd say 6 has my favourite story of the franchise, too. "Favourite" in that, well, yeah, it's absolute nonsense stuffed full of WTF? and unintentional hilarity, but it's still fun, a lot of it's well acted - that doesn't make it not dumb, of course, but most of the cast clearly know exactly what sort of game they're voicing. It's got a few half-decent lines in, and Jake and Sherry's banter is surprisingly well written and actually quite sweet. Very little especially dumb fanservice, too, which was kind of neat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm not bashing story, I'm used that it's like B (or even C) movie flick.
    But in RE6 (and 5 and 4 after castle levels) there's lot stuff blowing up everywhere, helicopter chases, turret sections etc. It's somewhat like COD but with mutants and better gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Now I'm with Helio on this, I think the earlier games were always wildly over-rated simply because ZOMBIES, WHOOO, but that's a whole other argument - I can certainly accept Capcom have completely changed the remit of the franchise and that they've mostly done it in a potentially misguided attempt to make more money. It's just I don't think that means every new Resident Evil's been a Bad Game. Quite the opposite - #6 was seriously one of my favourite games last year.
    I feel misrepresented, 2 & 3 were genuinely well made games within the odd fixed camera neoludology many clones took on from resi 1.

Resi 4 QTE'd me out and I gave up (on wii with a twinstick pad), but resi 5 on pc felt great but I benched it waiting to coop it with my wife.