Obscure Node

Minecraft As Perhaps It Was Meant To Be

I thought i'd ask here since the internets seems to be saturated with junk information on Minecraft servers / playmodes.

For me, the true value of Minecraft lies in playing in a world where everyone keeps to a a theme of some kind that isn't too dissimilar to what medieval times would have been like, or at more some kind of fantasy version of it.

However, survival SP gets lonely pretty quickly, and Millennaire despite its admirable efforts is a finite solution.

Is there some MP server knocking around somewhere that will prove to be my fix? Is there some playmode that incorporates some kind of economy system that makes playing worthwhile beyond having found a comfortable surplus of diamonds? Is there something out there that makes the vanilla game moderately realistic in terms of what people are building and what they're doing?

Your best bet is to play on a private server with friends who are looking for a similar experience. Certainly that's the closest I've found in multiplayer to what you describe. Decide on the mods or modpack that fits the game world you're looking for most closely, have some simple ground rules, like no interfering with each other's constructions in the 'town' area, and make sure your most tediously scrupulous friend is the admin to make sure that the rules are followed in spirit at least. From my own experience, a simple barter economy tends to come naturally from this, as people's playstyles differ so tend to end up with different surpluses and shortages.

But if you don't have enough friends willing to play, I don't know what to suggest. I've never had much fun playing online with strangers, and probably won't bother again. Perhaps making a concerted effort to find like-minded people would have better results?

your best bet is to look in the social clubs and more specifically the Minecraft subforum.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    I mean just the other day there was this:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014...mod-minecraft/

Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    I mean just the other day there was this:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014...mod-minecraft/
    Did anyone get the shaders to work? Was it difficult, and how is the performance with the shaders enabled? They aren't included in the mod pack, but it looks absolutely stunning.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    ^You must copy one file (http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums...ed-by-karyonix) to "mods" folder, open up Minecraft, click shaders->open shader folder and paste shader file here.
    Then you can just choose which shader you want to use.

You must have decent graphic card though. I've tried playing Minecraft with shaders on integrated Intel 3000 - it's unplayble, unless you're ok with 5-10 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    ^You must copy one file (http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums...ed-by-karyonix) to "mods" folder, open up Minecraft, click shaders->open shader folder and paste shader file here.
    Then you can just choose which shader you want to use.

You must have decent graphic card though. I've tried playing Minecraft with shaders on integrated Intel 3000 - it's unplayble, unless you're ok with 5-10 fps.
    I see, thanks for letting me know.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    I see, thanks for letting me know.
    You also have this video guide to setting it all up. I don't even own Mincraft, but i really like the sounds of that 'Hunger' version of the RPS featured mod, Life in the Woods, and it has put it right at the top of my 'to get soon' list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iqBfunccXM

Obscure Node
    When using shaders it's also advisable to use Optifine (also very easy to install), which pulled fps from 30-50 to a solid 60 (with v-sync) for me.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It's also not recommended to use shaders with larger modpacks like FTB since those already tank your FPS quite hard. I pull something like 50 fps on average on my FTB server (with arguably fairly large bases) on an i7-3770K and a GTX780. The server software is on a separate machine.

With shaders I think it plummets to something like 20 fps. This is arguably without Optifine, but Optifine has been known to cause all sorts of visual corruption issues with many mods which is why I avoid it.

stay away from the official forums, that place is a ball pit.

/r/mcservers is a much better alternative

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by derf View Post
    Is there some MP server knocking around somewhere that will prove to be my fix? Is there some playmode that incorporates some kind of economy system that makes playing worthwhile beyond having found a comfortable surplus of diamonds? Is there something out there that makes the vanilla game moderately realistic in terms of what people are building and what they're doing?
    You'll pretty much need to play MP - there's no SP solution for that. Minecraft's survival aspect was significantly crippled by "Creative-Survival" players rallying against anything that stopped them being creative in Survival mode, hence why only Creepers are a real threat (Endermen moving the odd block is hardly damaging). That's why building a wall a few blocks high with a lip and shoving some torches in the ground with a field of wheat is enough to 'survive'.

The MP community is hit and miss though, for every decent player there's a legion just out to ruin everything.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by ZakG View Post
    You also have this video guide to setting it all up. I don't even own Mincraft, but i really like the sounds of that 'Hunger' version of the RPS featured mod, Life in the Woods, and it has put it right at the top of my 'to get soon' list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iqBfunccXM
    Thanks for the link. You really should look into buying Minecraft, by the way. I've put it off dozens of times myself, but it must've been one of the best game purchases I've ever made.

Regarding Optifine: I have next to no experience with Optifine and mods combined, but the performance gain I got from Optifine was spectacular, to say the least. Makes you wonder why Mojang doesn't incorporate Optifine into the standard Minecraft game files. I did read somewhere that it's best to install Minecraft Forge and other mods before Optifine, if someone wants to give it a try.