Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Relaxing games to kick back and wind down with.

Alice's "dreamy summer nights" thing got me thinking.

At present, when I'm sick of the digital twitch carnage and mayhem (not often), I'll play something along the lines of a Telltale game or Peggle. It's a limited section of my library though.

I don't mean pointless noodling that goes nowhere but a game with an arc and purpose.

Any suggestions or thoughts lads and lasses?

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Botanicula, for sure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Euro Truck Simulator 2 is my wind-down game of choice. Put on some music and drive slowly around European fields.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Podcasts are more my bag lately. Euro T’s sun-kissed roads are hypnotic, though I’ll take a dark and rainy night shift any day.

triple town

dem bears, lemme tell ya....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I'm a freak. My wind down games are not what normal people would find relaxing. FTL has a certain soothing nature, it's plausible and you can drop out any time.

Orcs Must Die (2 mostly) anything not Endless.
    Yeah, it might not be 'calm' but it's finite and familiar. When you get done it's over and you can wrap up satisfied.

Peggle, Tetris and Proteus.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

fotonica

There's a bunch of stuff though. Fez, naissancee and generally small indies
    Last edited by Wenz; 07-08-2014 at 09:26 AM.
    post in progress

Very few games actually help me wind down, ideally I need a break away from a PC before going to sleep for example. But recently my wind down games have been Broken Age (which I've finished now, hurry up and finish act 2 Double Fine!) and Euro Truck 2, which is surprisingly therapeutic.
    Steam : pngblackice
    Raptr : pngblackice

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Did anyone finish Proteus and then a few days later feel the need to go back to it?

I have a, probably unfair, grudge against that "game" because I found it annoying rather than relaxing or therapeutic or whatever it was supposed to evoke within me.

I find Terraria quite relaxing, even when it's not. Or match three on iPad. Currently re-addicted to Dungeon Raid, which isn't match three but not far off it.

I like winding down with a bit of Tony Hawks Pro Skater. I know all the maps and tricks so well I can basically play it without thinking or even really seeing what I'm doing, so it helps me relax. Same goes for GTA: San Andreas, just driving around listening to the radio and taking in the sights almost feels like a holiday.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    I asked the same question here a while ago and got lots of good tips, worth having a look. :)

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    I like Hearthstone and games like Dredmor/FTL to wind down with as well. They're slower, more methodical... and require thought versus action-y gameplay.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Did anyone finish Proteus and then a few days later feel the need to go back to it?
    That's me. I love Proteus and I'm replaying it from time to time.

Umm... Can i say Dark Souls 1 and 2 (though i prefer the second)?
    After a while for me dying doesn't matter much anyway and i usually save my saves in another save folder.
    As such, i sometimes try crazy builds in PvE or PvP and then i can just restart from where i left without hurting my progress or wasting souls.
    For me it is relaxing especially after I've already played through the game once or twice.
    Mundane Hollow infantry cosplay is pretty fun haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    I asked the same question here a while ago and got lots of good tips, worth having a look. :)
    Ah, I did a search but must have held my mouth wrong.
    Sorry.

Some good stuff here....some I'd never play but it's interesting to see what people are calming down with.

Heliocentric, you're not a freak brother! I've learnt games so inside out that playing them takes me to a happy, relaxed place even though what's on screen may not give an observer a clue to my state.

I spent last night giggling along to Hover Bovver. The mixture of nostalgia, silliness and its general sweet natured-ness hit the spot...love a bit of Minter (probably fits with what Wenz is saying above).

I'll definitely be getting my hand in my pocket for Botanicula after playing the demo, for sure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorltonwheelie View Post
    Ah, I did a search but must have held my mouth wrong.
    Sorry.
    It's an old thread by now, doesn't hurt to bring the topic up again. :)

To contribute a little, I tend to find old RPGs good for just chilling out and relaxing, especially ones with turn based combat (Fallout 1&2 stand out there). For something a bit more modern I really liked playing KotOR 1&2 in the evenings. Lots of talking and turn-based combat there as well.

Civ IV and V were also my go-to games for winding down for a while, but I tend to lose time completely when playing them, which can be really stressful when I realise I've missed something important. Like a night's sleep.

From Dust was a really meditative experience for me, I spent hours just moving things around and sculpting the maps to make them pretty and cover them in vegetation, but it comes with the standard warnings of any Ubisoft game.

Going through that older thread, here are some things I tried and found pleasantly relaxing:

Knytt (all of them are pretty great)
    Audiosurf (depends on what music you feed it, obviously)
    Aquaria
    To the Moon
    Machinarium (though a couple of the puzzles drove me spare)
    Botanicula
    Little Inferno

And of course Minecraft, though that depends entirely on what you get up to. Building and gathering stuff can be very nice and calming. Stumbling through pitch-black caves hunted by skellingtons or having your house blown up by creepers not so much.

Hmm your post about from dust reminds me...
    I guess Tropico is also a pretty relaxing game, as long as you play it on easy or something like that (maybe even medium, sometimes it's pretty easy to handle things).
    Building your own island, with farms, tourist attractions, schools etc. is pretty relaxing imo once you get the hang of it (which basically means playing the tutorial).
    Also, i like playing stronghold crusaders alone on a map and just building my castle walls, farm etc.
    Actually, i think any city builder that is on easy or if you play alone that can be pretty relaxing, imo anyway.
    Last edited by UnderwaterCacty; 08-08-2014 at 01:07 AM.

I relly like Prison Architect, Defense Grid and other games where it is about you constructing an environment to manipulate something within that environment. The Anno games are another good example, or Spacechem.

I also really like Hexcells, it's ambient soundtrack, light colours and gameplay are quite relaxing.

Activated Node
    Classic DOOM with a decent soundtrack playing because I know it inside out.

MMOs for the same reason

And Euro Truck Simulator 2 at the top of the list... it is THE most chilled out game I can think of. My problem with ETS is that... I want more? I guess it is a lot to ask for, but actual journey lengths rather than condensed. But that would make for a mammoth task.

American Truck Simulator will be my next fix I think....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    I bought Pure Pool a couple days ago. You can just freeplay pool basically, don't even have to play a game, very relaxing :P

It's on PC and PS4: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300610/

Last edited by rockman29; 08-08-2014 at 02:18 PM.