Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node

Rock Paper Sidewinder (Elite: Dangerous)

I've made my 10 posts, so now I can post this thread!

Picked up the Elite: Dangerous beta a week ago and have put in 40+ hours so far and got myself into a fairly nicely kitted-out Cobra MkIII with about 60k credits to spare. I use an x52pro HOTAS for contol, which feels great. Overall I'm loving the beta and am terribly excited for the full release and all those billions of systems.

As such, I have created a steam group (even though it's not on steam yet, but I imagine it will be on release) and an in-game group. Unfortunately the in-game groups can only be named after characters thus far, so in game the group name to search for is "aDelicateBalance" - also my commander name. At least my commander name has been changed from "backer #XXXXX".

The steam group link is http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rockpapersidewinder#

We have four members right now, but I'm guessing there are more people who would join an RPS Elite. I don't have specific plans for what to do as a group, but after just doing a little co-op with Caput_58, I can confirm that solo or open-world is fun, but that flying around with someone else is even more so.

I'll get a group image up for the profile page soon.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    The group is invite only for some reason? I'm neema_t on Steam and in-game, I've been playing for god knows how long - far too much, probably - and I'm currently spending all my time trading, I've got a Type 6 and something like 1.6 million. I'm going for a Type 9 Heavy to accelerate the earning, right now the best run in the game gets you 160k with a hold of 100 units, but you need to do it in three jumps with a refuel so it can take a little time. Part of me does want to fly around and shoot stuff, but... Eh. There's money in that there palladium.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Id love to try it, but fuck paying 50 for a beta.
    Steam: basicpaul | Origin: BasicPaul

Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Id love to try it, but fuck paying 50 for a beta.
    Technically it's 15 for the beta, since you're preordering the game at 35 as well. That's how I convinced myself it's ok. 65 for a beta, on the other hand, I could not justify, even though that was technically 35 for the game, 35 (I think?) for the lifetime DLC pass and 30 for a beta.

And, hey, I've spent more than 50 on worse betas... Battlefield 4 (with Premium), for instance!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    Technically it's 15 for the beta, since you're preordering the game at 35 as well. That's how I convinced myself it's ok. 65 for a beta, on the other hand, I could not justify, even though that was technically 35 for the game, 35 (I think?) for the lifetime DLC pass and 30 for a beta.

And, hey, I've spent more than 50 on worse betas... Battlefield 4 (with Premium), for instance!
    Well id argue that bf4 was pretty fun even in beta.. Also, you never paid for the beta of that, you pre ordered the game and was given access to a beta just prior to release.

The difference being mainly that the bf series was always going to be the same as the previous games, so you knew what you were paying for regardless of beta quality. Premium was nothing to do with the beta so can hardly be included.

My issue is paying for this in beta is that I have no idea whether or not ill enjoy it. At 50 thats a big gamble.

I rarely pay more than 30 for a PC game, and when I do, its because I know what im getting having played some prior version.

Even saying 35 for the game, which I still maintain is too much for a PC game, 15 is a silly price to access it early. if the full amount was 30, it would be more reasonable.
    Steam: basicpaul | Origin: BasicPaul

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    I'm in the E:D beta because I backed the Kickstarter (Elite was pretty much my gateway game to gaming, so ... yeah). But I only have mouse and keyboard, and I am buggered if I can work out a sweet setup for the controls that actually works for me.

At the moment it's like 'I want to go over there STOP SPINNING ok I think I got it NOPE TOO FAST" *bonk*

So yeah. I'll pick up a two-part flight stick or something.

I am kopyright on Steam - feel free to add me to the group. I will try and find you in E:D tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    Technically it's 15 for the beta, since you're preordering the game at 35 as well. That's how I convinced myself it's ok.
    My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't have payed full price for the beta but the initial investment was long gone anyway, so another 15 didn't hurt too much and were absolutely worth it so far.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

I can haz invitez plz? Name`s the same as here.

Sketch, you can select "relative mouse control" in the options menu. That should help with the controls. They can still be unwieldy for fine aiming with fixed weapons, but otherwise it works just fine for me. Also keep in wind that acceleration in directions other than straight ahead is quite slow, since those thrusters are much weaker. This is especially true for reverse thrust, as my poor Sidewinder`s repair costs demonstrated.

Activated Node
    I am Commander Warscribe in the game. Would love an invite as it seems much more entertaining to fly with a bunch of people. I only recently got back in the game and bought a Hauler to trade my way up to a shiny fighter at some point.

The audio design of this game is so awesome. One of the best I've heard so far. :O
    Steam = Roll Fizzlebeef
    Origin = Meatntwo
    Planetside 2/Arma 3/Mumble = Warscribe

Just sent a join request for the group, derp. I`m Backer#21938.

Activated Node
    Also sent a request to the steam group. I'm Roll Fizzlebeef.
    Steam = Roll Fizzlebeef
    Origin = Meatntwo
    Planetside 2/Arma 3/Mumble = Warscribe

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    I'll probably reinstall it once I get a hold of a flight stick, I've tried a number of different setups with the mouse and sucked with all of them.

Back in the day I flew my Sidewinder with keyboard controls. Admittedly I was about nine.

I eventually recalibrated my idea of how much 15 is worth and now I'm in the beta. I'd be pretty stoked to get in on some multiplayer of this. Harlander on Steam, rednalraH in-game.

My dubiously self-soldered Cyborg X is doing all right as controls so far... I'm just trading about in the starter ship so far.

I haven`t seen anyone from the group online. Either I`m in the wrong timezone, or everyone is waiting for Beta 2.

I could see why people would run out of stuff to do with the state the game's in at the moment, yeah. But I haven't yet!

Obscure Node
    I also would like an invite to the Steam group. I'm Carr0t on Steam, and the same in Elite. I'll try and remember to request joining the group when i'm at home.
    Last edited by Carr0t; 28-08-2014 at 04:38 PM.

Toast, Sharks, Tetrino and myself are often in the RPS Steam chat (not sure they're all in the group though), if you want someone to fly with try popping in to see if anyone's about. Personally I'm carefully rationing my play to avoid burning out but I could be coaxed out with promises of online play, I tried to meet with Toast and Tetrino a few days back but it didn't pan out.

Hello 'Winders!

My space faring alter ego CMDR Righton has requested access to your promising in-game group.

He's currently working his way to 1m credits in his trusty T6, at which point he'll switch back to a 'Winder and attempt a bit of combat.
    Last edited by Zptr; 31-08-2014 at 05:41 PM.

I'm slightly nervous about going online. I was never any good at Frontier, so am worried I'll really embarrass myself ;D

I'm using an xbox pad at the moment and still need practice, but am thinking seriously about a stick of some sort.

Webmandrill on Steam.

Mandrill in game.

PS: O hai @zptr :D

Obscure Node
    Apologies for not posting or adding people for two weeks, I've had family over from the UK (I'm in Canada, born in the UK) so just catching up with things now.