Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Network Hub

Fall Synapse Rules and matchmaking

Upper Bracket is currently in Round 3

Lower Bracket is currently in Round 3a

All Matches played on Server UK1

Hello everyone this thread is to explain and organize the Autumn PBEM tournament of Frozen Synapse as seen in this thread.

The Tournament is organised using 4 tools/threads.

This thread is for matchmaking and victory declaring purposes, challengers use this thread to indicate when they challenged their opponent and the ID of the match so that other players can follow. Then the winner of the combat posts here to say he is the winner. Please don't use this thread if you want to plan a specific time to play with your opponent, use steam or the forums PM system for that. The other use of this thread is to post grievances such as players not playing their turns and rounds not finishing on time. Finally I will post statements about what week we are in and what rounds are suppose to be played.

The other tournament thread linked above is for discussing the nature of the tournament, the quality of the maps, talking about matches and other general sociability bits.

A steam group exists, The start and end of rounds will be announced there and the chat room can be used to talk about any game going on at that time.

Finally a spreadsheet indicates your opponent at each round, the match type and the map used, it will be updated on a weekly basis based on posted results in this thread.

How to read the spreadsheet.

The spreadsheet has three pages, the third page, Match type votes is no longer important and will not be used during the tournament.

Page one is upper bracket, all players start here, they were all randomly seeded into either the equalization round or given a bye and put in Round 1.

Row 1 lists the name of each round, Row 2 lists the match type and map **map number are posted**

The rest of the page contains the tree structure of the tournament. If we take the top left branch of the tree we see two lines that meet.

The lower bracket is in page 2 of the spreadsheet. The lower bracket is almost identical with one difference. You will notice that there are L# placed all over it. that means that the loser of match is seeded here and his name is placed in the line to the right of it. Based on this we see in the top left corner that the loser of match 12 will fight the loser of match 13 in the first match of the lower Bracket. There are twice as many rounds in the lower bracket as such some upper bracket rounds will be played over 2 weeks.

The rounds with a in their name start on the same day as the same number rounds in the upper bracket with the same game type and map, b rounds and c rounds do not share this attribute.

You will notice that at the end of the lower bracket you can read, "To upper bracket" the winner of the lower bracket will fight the winner of the upper bracket for the winning spot of the tournament. Note however that since the upper bracket player has lost 0 matches and the lower bracket player has lost 1 match then the lower bracket player must win twice in a row against his opponent (same map and type, alternating challenger). For all intents and purposes the Tournament finale counts as a best 2 out 3 where the upper bracket player has already won one match.

How to start and play your matches

Every round starts on a Wednesday at 12pm (24:00) and ends on a tuesday 12pm (24:00) all times UTC

This tournament is PBEM as such you do not need to schedule a date to start the match, here is the detailed process however that must be followed in order to insure fairness and proper structure.

The first step in any match is to decide who is the challenger and who is the receiver.

For rounds which are an even number and 0 (0,2,4,6) the player who's name appears earlier (a->z) is the challenger.

For rounds which are an odd number or 0 (1,3,5,7) the who's name appears later is the challenger.

As such if your name is aaaardvark for example, and there are no aaaaq... or earlier you will be challenger on even rounds (and 0) and receiver on odd rounds.

Having established who the challenger is, this is the process for the challenger.

1. check in the spreadsheet what is the match type and map used. You can get the maps in the two packs in the attachments below. *MATCHES ARE DARK UNLESS SPECIFIED*

2. open up frozen Synapse, log into UK1, select create game, put down the name of your opponent, select the game type.

3. Chose advanced Setup, in the advanced setup menu load the relevant map. Custom levels are stored in psychoff/data/userlevels, thats where you need to unpack the below map packs. For best results put all 60 maps at the root of userlevel. once that's done select submit.

A new window will be generated, select the game mode in the first drop down menu, in the second drop down you put the view type, for dark matches the proper selection is vis at time zero, so you see the location of all his units at time zero but then only line of site. Light matches use vis at all time. Then there is turn limit and turn time, turn time is default. turn limit needs to be changed according to game type, the default values as seen here are

• Extermination: 8 Turns
    • Secure: 6 Turns
    • Disputed: 16 turns
    • Hostage: 8 turns
    • Charge: 6 Turns

Then in the box you put down your opponents name, chose the default I play side 1 and finally in the last area, a comment like "RPS tournament". Then press enter.

The proper match should be started.

4. Play out as far as you are allowed. typically that means the first turn or the bid for secure or charge.

5. Look up the ID of your match, then come to this thread and make a post, the post should just be "(challenger) has challenged (receiver) in match (match ID) "

6. Log in to Frozen synapse regularly to play the turn after your opponent has done his.

Victory Conditions

Standard in game victory conditions are used. The victor of the match will post in this thread with the match number and who he defeated.

In case of incomplete games the winner is the player waiting for input from his opponent.

If either player feels they have been wronged they can seek arbitration and a panel of 3 random players which may or may not be selected from the tournament rolls will review the incomplete match and decide who is the most likely winner, that player will be declared victor. Repeat offenders will be given a mallus during judging.

Complaints about imbalanced maps are INVALID maps have been posted and all requested changes have been made.

Additional information

Maps are attached in post.

There will be a x-th place placement match for 1st to 8th place. 1st, 2nd and 3rd are decided for in the current tournament structure so I will organize additional matches to sort out the other spots.

Post current as of 5th of October
    Maps current as of 27th of September
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Inverselaw; 27-10-2011 at 04:18 AM.

Network Hub
    So Round 0 has begun, thers only one match in this round, so ComradePenguin needs to go ahead and send his challenge.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Where do i put these maps?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Scanning wall-o-text... Located:
    Quote Originally Posted by Inverselaw View Post
    ...Custom levels are stored in psychoff/data/userlevels, thats where you need to unpack the below map packs...
    (In the Frozen Synapse install folder, that is: ususally either C:\Frozen Synapse\ or %programfiles%\Steam\steamapps\common\frozen synapse\)

ComradePenguin has challenged dmbelenk in match 287496.

ComradePenguin has defeated dmbelenk in match 287496.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by ComradePenguin View Post
    ComradePenguin has defeated dmbelenk in match 287496.
    Do you really have to say it so coldly? :) It was a good game!

Network Hub
    Ok everyone Round 1 started just a few hours ago, the sheet is up to date and please send your respective challenges to the respective players.

Good luck everyone.

imirk has challenged ColOfNature in game 315139
    Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

Indigon has challenged Desvergeh in game 315950.
    "What can change the nature of man?"
    Visit my development blog: http://www.indigonflash.com

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBoo View Post
    Indigon has challenged Desvergeh in game 315950.
    OMG.... I just planned my actions using red, and your estimated actions on green!

Did not turn out well :(

Quote Originally Posted by desvergeh View Post
    OMG.... I just planned my actions using red, and your estimated actions on green!

Smooth move.
    Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar

Did that on one of my tournament battles, and but I'm aggressive enough with my guesses that the turn went well

If it makes you feel better, it happens to me all the time in other FS games :P

EDIT: just watched the turn. A 0.1s after your shotgun appeared, mine was supposed to turn around with his back to yours. I guess I was lucky in that since your moves aren't bad at all!
    Last edited by MasterBoo; 06-10-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Indigon has defeated Desvergeh in game 315950.

edit - ah sorry, just read that the victor is supposed to post. Too many leagues!!

For the protocol :P :
    Indigon has defeated Desvergeh in game 315950.

Hmm, bumping this up. There were only 2 games out of the 8 in this round (and more than 3 days passed since we started).

Second bump.

Sunjumper has challenged Cimethink in match 327499

ComradePenguin has challenged CMaster in match 328109.