Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar

Euro Truck Simulator 2

I couldn't find a thread for this one, at least not a recent one, and I wanted to stop clogging up the PC Bargains thread with chatter. I figure an open thread for sharing advice, interesting mods, news, and whatever else is appropriate considering this game is much beloved around here.

Edit: Original, now resolved question preserved below. Save/Load is the easy fix, and in ten hours of game I haven't had this happen again. No need to dwell, then, let's keep the thread for general advice, modding, and the like.

Speaking of advice...

So I picked this up recently and had been really enjoying it, but on my third delivery I seem to be stuck in a traffic jam that is not resolving itself. I'm not sure whether this is a legitimate part of the sim or an AI car failure, but regardless It's been over an hour of in-game time and no one is moving. I'm stuck under an underpass, so there's really no ability to cut around. Will this eventually resolve itself? If not, what's my best course of action here?
    Last edited by vinraith; 10-08-2014 at 05:34 PM.

I want to say it will it will eventually solve itself, but in your case it's taking unusually long so I'm not sure.

I've put over 50 hours into the game (oh dear) and I don't recall being stuck in a completely stopped traffic jam for too long of a time, maybe a few minutes at most.

If nothing else works you could try saving and re-loading the game.

Lesser Hivemind Node TWChristine's Avatar
    I think your best option would be to try the Emergency Services (or whatever it's called..) for breakdowns. If I remember correctly, this essentially teleports you to the closest garage for a small fee. I ended up having to do it (in the MP game) after getting stuck somewhere. And yea, sometimes (in my experience, very rarely and I've put in a LOT of time) you get random traffic jams that simply won't resolve themselves. The vehicle AI is pretty decent for what it does, but knowing "If I turn just a bit more, I can get around this car..which will then get traffic moving again.." isn't one of them.

Other than that, I always recommend the ProMod for Scandinavia to add a fair amount of landscape up North. It conflicts with the MP mod though, so it might be good to have two different careers going, while still needing to turn the mod on/off.
    Steam: Am I Doing This Right?
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

I shut down The Quanta Cat.

Thanks folks. I reloaded the game to take your helpful advice and... the jam was gone when I loaded in. So apparently either traffic state is not saved, or jams of that type aren't preserved, or something. Either way, it resolved itself, so you don't hear me complaining.

Other than that, I always recommend the ProMod for Scandinavia to add a fair amount of landscape up North. It conflicts with the MP mod though, so it might be good to have two different careers going, while still needing to turn the mod on/off.
    They're making a Scandinavian expansion, aren't they? I'm not up on these things, does that have an expected launch date?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Ten shillings says you were going either to or from Cardiff. There’s a nasty blighter in the form of an underpass around there which gets me stuck on the rare occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Ten shillings says you were going either to or from Cardiff. There’s a nasty blighter in the form of an underpass around there which gets me stuck on the rare occasion.
    That's a best you'd lose, I'm afraid. It was on the way from Liege to Mannheim. It was a simple case of everyone trying to make a left turn at the same time, both behind me going one way and in front of me going the other, and they all ended up in each other's way.

So, another question for the crowd: When do I buy my first truck? Do I take out a loan to do so?

Lesser Hivemind Node TWChristine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Thanks folks. I reloaded the game to take your helpful advice and... the jam was gone when I loaded in. So apparently either traffic state is not saved, or jams of that type aren't preserved, or something. Either way, it resolved itself, so you don't hear me complaining.

They're making a Scandinavian expansion, aren't they? I'm not up on these things, does that have an expected launch date?
    Awesome! I didn't even think of that, but it certainly makes sense. And yea, my understanding is they're making a Going North DLC, but after a quick search I couldn't find any real info on it. ProMod seems to have a lot of good reviews with people saying it improves some of the roads in a lot of areas which I find interesting, because the main gripe I had with it was occasionally you'd come across weeds/grass clipping through the middle of a lane. With that said, they've done an awesome job with more realistic interchanges that makes you feel more like you're going through a big city with many highways intersecting.

So, another question for the crowd: When do I buy my first truck? Do I take out a loan to do so?
    What I do is do enough quick jobs (I sort them by $ per mile I believe, to get the most bang for my buck) to where I have X amount plus a loan would give me a slight overage. So say the truck costs 80,000 and want to take a 50k loan. I would do quick jobs until I was at maybe 33k to give me a total of 83,000. That way I have a small cushion. You really shouldn't have any problems making money, so paying of the loans are a piece of cake. I went for the $100,000 for the first time in my last new game, and have always had a very steady increase in money.
    Last edited by TWChristine; 08-08-2014 at 10:08 PM.
    Steam: Am I Doing This Right?
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

I shut down The Quanta Cat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    That's a best you'd lose, I'm afraid. It was on the way from Liege to Mannheim. It was a simple case of everyone trying to make a left turn at the same time, both behind me going one way and in front of me going the other, and they all ended up in each other's way.

Take out the loan and get one as soon as possible. Or ask the dealers if they take shillings, pfft.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Yeah, ETS2 resets traffic around you whenever you log out and back in. Which is why it isn't dangerous to do so in the middle of an autobahn, etc. (although it *can* be dangerous to log out and back in a steep uphill/downhill road).

And yeah, don't worry about loans. The economic side of the game is really easy - I mean, if I could make that much money just driving around Europe I'd be a truck driver! (there is a mod that severely reduces your earnings for a more "realistic" experience, though).

So I picked this up recently and had been really enjoying it, but on my third delivery I seem to be stuck in a traffic jam that is not resolving itself. I'm not sure whether this is a legitimate part of the sim or an AI car failure, but regardless It's been over an hour of in-game time and no one is moving. I'm stuck under an underpass, so there's really no ability to cut around. Will this eventually resolve itself? If not, what's my best course of action here?
    They still haven't fixed that? I guess recording sounds from trucks and posting silly YT videos about it comes higher up in their list of priorities that actually sorting out the basics.

Old post of mine (11/30/13):

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Gave the Euro Truck Sim 2 demo a spin. The demo of the first didn't leave me exactly impressed, but I keep reading good things about the sequel, and it's on sale, so...

On my first mission after the tutorial, I've reached my destination but can't make heads or tails of where the smallish GPS unit is trying to send me, ending up in some deserted repair shop of sorts nearby instead. Takes me a while to back out and when I finally arrived at the delivery point, I am confronted with a huge line of cars in the other lane, along the whole length of the road; having to turn left, I stop and wait for someone to let me through, but the line keeps moving forward: first car, second one then the third, to finally come to a stop again; like clockwork, three new cars join the back of the queue: most of them looking exactly the same, just different colors.

A U-turn later, I'm joining the back of the line myself: which of course isn't moving any faster now. On my right there's a landing strip disguised as an Innsbruck sidewalk; it's just a tad tighter than the autobahn that took me there, absolutely empty, seemingly the only people in this world are drivers and death awaits them were they so daring as to leave their vehicles ...you can guess the rest.

Haven't played long enough to see if the management part of the game is better (I liked Trukz), but IMO a more game-y angle would work better. As for technical details, the game set itself for what looked like MCGA, the engine sounds are dull and hardly convincing, and HDR looks like someone poured water in my eyes.

tl;dr GAH! DOUBLE GAH! & TRIPLE GAH!
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    They still haven't fixed that? I guess recording sounds from trucks and posting silly YT videos about it comes higher up in their list of priorities that actually sorting out the basics.
    Well, it was an easy fix as it turned out, and it's clearly not very common (at least not these days). I suspect some improvements have been made since your posting, because the GPS (thus far) has been quite clear for me.

Oh, that's easily explained: I have a small screen for this day and age (19"). I should get a new one, but then I'd need a new GPU, and there's always something else more important in the to-buy list.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Following this thread with great interest.

I've also met a couple of those impossible traffic jams. Usually there's been enough room on the side of the road for me to wiggle through...

I'm planning to drive up and down the British Isles for the next couple of months, in order to practice left-side driving (I'm going to NZ in Nov!).

A couple of mods I'd recommend.

Jazzycat's Cargo mods - adds loads of new cargo to transport. There are also transport mods that add vehicles, but I've not run those. Downloads available from various mod sites including http://ets2downloads.com/tag/jazzycat . A review from Squirrel here http://youtu.be/W1MLb7OQnrI .

ProMods - as mentioned by others, adds locations, roads etc. Should only be available from the developers forum. Anywhere else hosting it is distributing it unauthorised. Forum signup is required to download. You can then download the split archive files which you'll need to combine (warning may link you via NSFW adfly ads) or donate a $1 for a single archive from an ad-free server. Note that the current version of Promods is only compatible with version 1.10 of ETS2, so you'll need to roll back ETS2 using the beta opt in function in Steam not sure on rollback capability if you have non Steam version.

I've also used in the past the following mods, but not checked recently if they are current for the latest ETS2 release:

Awesome Rain
    Realistic Physics
    Crash Barrier Reflectors
    Volvo FH16 2013 8x8 chassis
    Volvo 2013 GPS

There's also a multiplayer mod in development, but I've not tried it - http://alpha.ets2mp.com/ .

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've been stuck in such a traffic jam underneath underpasses quite frequently, I just barge through, 1st gear, slowly boop the first car(and get a traffic offense) then you can just use that car as a ram to move the other cars out of the way. You can usually resolve this without damage.

I've only just experienced something similar on a T-crossing when 2 cars and a truck decided to do a 3-way smash with the AI truck clumsily manoeuvring itself stuck even further.

This should be one of the traffic jams your talking about:

PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I would want to drive something else beside trucks. Any mods for cars, vans or buses? I mean I would want to earn money, but hauling few tons of auto parts in small car is funny so just model replacement isn't good enough.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah I think there is, have a look at the many mods you can find around, I was browsing through cargo and vehicle mods and noticed small cars with tiny cargo as well(also, hauling 232 Ludmilla locomotives!!)
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hmm, I've tried searching for some mods, but all I got is new cargo for trucks and nothing more. :x

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Yeah, yesterday I installed a few of Jazzycat's mods (trailers, trucks, cars and buses), and they are really good. I think that, plus ETS2 Essentials is probably the best setup for an "enhanced vanilla" game for a newcomer.

Then later if you want to crank things up you can install new maps, new physics, etc.

Can ETS2 Essentials be used with an existing game? I assume not. It looks nice, but I don't want to start over at this point.

Also: recommended upgrades for your first truck? Oh, and what does that "preferred truck model" choice do at the beginning of the game, anyway?