Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 101 to 120 of 120
  1. #101
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,272
    I feel the same way about everywhere else (driving on the right-hand side is for Satanists). The difference is if you don’t like driving on the left, you can just avoid Britain. If I don’t like driving on the right, I have to avoid the entirety of Europe in a game called Euro Truck Simulator.

  2. #102
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Word of warning: I found out the hard way that some of the largest trailers in Jazzycat's mod do have a tendency to get stuck in narrow exits (there's one exit model with a pole in the middle of the narrow lanes that's especially dangerous). Nothing a couple of ingame hours and a lot of "crash vehicle" offenses won't solve, but it can get aggravating.
    Ooooh yes, moving the cement machine or the train's can be quite a frustrating experience. Although I have gotten better at it I still run some damage from time to time..

    Oh well, I do like the added sensation of weight behind the truck.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

    Bread?

  3. #103
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I feel the same way about everywhere else (driving on the right-hand side is for Satanists). The difference is if you don’t like driving on the left, you can just avoid Britain. If I don’t like driving on the right, I have to avoid the entirety of Europe in a game called Euro Truck Simulator.
    I can easily imagine. It's hard to call the game relaxing when every time you make a turn your natural instincts send you head-on into oncoming traffic. All those wrong-way roundabouts are particularly terrifying.
    Last edited by vinraith; 19-08-2014 at 09:21 PM.

  4. #104
    Network Hub Stellar Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    452
    A bit on the tech side, but seeing as I just went and got a three point IR LED tracking thingamajiik to work with Freetrack for DCS A-10c (which is totally awesome by the way! How could I ever play without it?), I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with Freetrack and ETS2? I loves me some ETS2 so having head movements would be swell.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

  5. #105
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,141
    Quote Originally Posted by tedesco View Post
    I ignore speed tickets while in the Autobahn. Too much time wasted accelerating the truck again.
    Now, if only hired drivers would fall asleep at the wheel and wipe away a few families coming back from the holidays. On a slo-mo crash cam. You could get the notification on a slide-up panel looking like a newspaper, TTD style. Or maybe a foggy day highway pile-up?

    So much untapped potential.

    edit:

    Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Duck View Post
    I loves me some ETS2 so having head movements would be swell.
    Someone posted a link to this piece of software a few days ago. The first ETS seems to be in the list:

    http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net...lity/games.htm
    Last edited by alms; 21-08-2014 at 02:01 AM.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  6. #106
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,331
    I definitely want a replay, the current screenshot camera would be even better if it could replay the last minute or so!!
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

    Bread?

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I can easily imagine. It's hard to call the game relaxing when every time you make a turn your natural instincts send you head-on into oncoming traffic. All those wrong-way roundabouts are particularly terrifying.
    Your post makes me realise an unexpected gaming advantage of being a non-driver.

  8. #108
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,141
    Quote Originally Posted by moth bones View Post
    Your post makes me realise an unexpected gaming advantage of being a non-driver.
    Are there any roads where you live?
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  9. #109
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,713
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I can easily imagine. It's hard to call the game relaxing when every time you make a turn your natural instincts send you head-on into oncoming traffic. All those wrong-way roundabouts are particularly terrifying.
    as a person who had to drive home on left side of the road even tough he only used to drive on right side I can emphasize. but in my case it was actually dangerous :)

    you never know when you might be forced to drive on opposite side of the road. in this case it's better for you guys to get used to driving in ETS2 than in real life.

  10. #110
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,331
    Never really had a problem with driving on the left side, it's just a mental switch I flip when I arrive by ferry or train!
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

    Bread?

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Someone posted a link to this piece of software a few days ago. The first ETS seems to be in the list:

    http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net...lity/games.htm
    It works with ETS2, and just sees it as ETS but there's no apparent problem with that as far as I can tell.

    I've used it on and off a few times with just my webcam with mixed results. I've lately taken to using the hotkey to start and stop it when needed, e.g. off when driving down the road, and then on when approaching a corner that I particularly need it for.

    As I've only got a webcam (no IR LED thingy) within the program I've been using (with no config actually needed in game):
    Source: FaceAPI (with roll and pitch disabled, so I only had left/right movement tracked)
    Filter: Accela Filter Mk2
    Game Protocol: Freetrack 2.0 with TRackIR interface, along with IRViews.dll (download and install the trackIR software from NaturalPoint to get this) and a dummy TrackIR.exe

    Also dabbled in using the VJoy Virtual Joystick (requires in game config) in an attempt to get a deadzone working, as I was finding the above setup a bit too sensitive at times - hence rather than being relaxed was tensing my neck muscles to keep from moving too much.

    I'm sure with a bit more configuring I could get it better, but just haven't made the time yet. For the price of admission (download of a free program and a bit of config time, assuming you have a webcam) I'd say why not give it a go?

    Oh, and while the help files will tell you that with the free version of FaceAPI that your webcam needs to be the first video input device, this may not be true. FaceTrackNoir sees my Analog TV Capture Card as the first input device, yet FaceAPI still correctly uses my webcam (YMMV of course).

  12. #112
    Network Hub Blackice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastleigh, UK
    Posts
    252
    Not sure how well publicised this has been so thought I'd post here - The UK, Ireland and Scottish paint jobs are 91% off at 7p each until the 24th - Presumably to acknowledge the independence vote going on in Scotland today.
    Steam : pngblackice
    Raptr : pngblackice

  13. #113
    Lesser Hivemind Node TWChristine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    520
    I did a run on the Euro server this morning and was completely floored that there were 500+ people on the server! I knew it had more people than the US one (I generally see maybe 20..30 tops). I'd love to play on there more often because the world just feels more "real" having other traffic in it; but at the same time, with that many other people running around and my ping already being 120 or so, I wonder if I'll be causing a bunch of accidents!

    Edit: And just jumped on a bit ago and there was 1000+ people! Wow!
    Last edited by TWChristine; 02-10-2014 at 11:26 PM.
    Steam: Am I Doing This Right?
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

    I shut down The Quanta Cat.

  14. #114
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    england
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I feel the same way about everywhere else (driving on the right-hand side is for Satanists). The difference is if you don’t like driving on the left, you can just avoid Britain. If I don’t like driving on the right, I have to avoid the entirety of Europe in a game called Euro Truck Simulator.
    once, everyone in europe rode horses on the left hand side, going back to the romans as this is the most sensible way to ride (right hand ready to grab sword from left hip) or drive (left hand on gear stick when changing gear, right hand still on wheel)

    the reason for right hand driving is that Napolean was left handed and insisted his soldiers fight the wrong way round which meant they had to ride on the right, which meant civilians in the various countries they conquered also had to walk / ride on the right for their own safety.

    Americans used to ride on the left, but were keen to make strong ties with the french following the american revolution so switched to right hand driving as part of this "francification" process.

    most Asian countries still use left hand drive like Britain.

  15. #115
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,719
    Quote Originally Posted by karaquazian View Post
    once, everyone in europe rode horses on the left hand side, going back to the romans as this is the most sensible way to ride (right hand ready to grab sword from left hip) or drive (left hand on gear stick when changing gear, right hand still on wheel)

    the reason for right hand driving is that Napolean was left handed and insisted his soldiers fight the wrong way round which meant they had to ride on the right, which meant civilians in the various countries they conquered also had to walk / ride on the right for their own safety.

    Americans used to ride on the left, but were keen to make strong ties with the french following the american revolution so switched to right hand driving as part of this "francification" process.

    most Asian countries still use left hand drive like Britain.
    The Napoleon thing is pretty transparently apocryphal. In reality, there's a simple and practical reason many countries switched to right-handed driving: it was the easiest way to drive the freight wagons of the era.

    http://books.google.com.au/books?id=...page&q&f=false
    Last edited by vinraith; 03-10-2014 at 06:27 PM.

  16. #116
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,272
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    In reality, there's a simple and practical reason many countries switched to right-handed driving
    Maybe so, but if it doesn't allow me to blame the French then I don't want to know about it.

  17. #117
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,867
    Just got into this for reals, I don't think I enjoy the driving, I think I just want to see the money go up and run the business... :/ i do enjoy the micro strategy of planning rest stops and such.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  18. #118
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,272
    Ah sucks, I hope it picks up for you. That’s like enjoying the castle management from Neverwinter Nights 2 but not the rest of the game, which is actually... the game. The management stuff is just an afterthought in Euro T2.

  19. #119
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,867
    Yeah, I got ETDS2 for my eldest son who was a huge fan of their earlier game Bus Driver. Actually, I should try out a bus mod, he'd love that. Bus driver was clever because of the way weather and smooth deceleration would come together to create a context for 'soft' failure. Breaking the speed limit because you are running late for a big contract is rarely a thing in ETDS2. But I like the suggestion that it's possible.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  20. #120
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Just got into this for reals, I don't think I enjoy the driving, I think I just want to see the money go up and run the business... :/ i do enjoy the micro strategy of planning rest stops and such.
    Wrong game my friend. You should be playing a tycoon game. Something like Roller-coaster Tycoon, OpenTTD, The Movies, etc. Games where you run a business and watch the money go up, or down.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •