Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Obsidian working on a Pathfinder video game

Obsidian and Paizo Publishing are apparently joining forces on a project involving the latter's immensely successful Pathfinder pen-and-paper roleplaying game. A leaked photo from this year's GenCon is all we have to be going on at the moment, but based on the two companies' previously warm relationship - Obsidian were apparently interested in having their Pillars of Eternity game setting translated into a pen-and-paper game by Paizo - it seems a very good fit.

Three possibilities present themselves:

1) A big-budget 3D RPG. The lack of another logo on the picture seems to make that unlikely.
    2) A smaller-budget, Pillars of Eternity-style single-player game, possibly to be funded on Kickstarter. That seems more likely.
    3) Obsidian may be taking over the long-gestating Pathfinder MMORPG project, which has been slowly grinding away for years without much to show for it.

In any case, highly intriguing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game puts you in the role of a brave adventurer fighting to survive in a world beset by magic and evil!

How exciting. Literally a D&D knock-off.
    I was hoping it's based on that shitty Karl Urban movie about indians and vikings, or on the original Sami story. Now that's a setting with a lot of potential.

Activated Node
    Man, you are quick. Came here to post this. Obviously I hope for a single player RPG. MMO is likely and will make me go "aww" a bit, but in the end, anything that keeps Obsidian in business is alright in my book.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LarsWestergren View Post
    Man, you are quick. Came here to post this. Obviously I hope for a single player RPG. MMO is likely and will make me go "aww" a bit, but in the end, anything that keeps Obsidian in business is alright in my book.
    I'm not really sure that an MMO really is the best way to keep them in business.. But whatever works for them, I'm happy. I have no idea what Pathfinder is about, but it wouldn't get Obsidian's attention if it didn't have some merits, right?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Another option, Pillars of Eternity the P&P Sourcebook. As Monte Cook is doing that for Tides of Numenera (well more in reverse but whatevs)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    This is very good news. Pathfinder is a solid rules base, which is something that's been lacking sorely in some of these attempts at latter-day Infinity-style games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Didn't they have a campaign book for PnP DMs as an add-on tier in the kickstarter campaign? It could just be that, but for sale to everyone. Or it could be a 2D pathfinder game in PE's tech. I highly doubt either company has the resources for something much bigger.

Whatever. It beats a shitty tank MMO. I'd rather not play another 3.5 based game though. There are other systems, with other merits.

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I'd rather not play another 3.5 based game though. There are other systems, with other merits.
    "Another?" The only one I'm aware of is NWN2, am I missing something? As modern RPG systems go, I'm rather fond of it, and since I'm never going to get a Mythos CRPG or a Sun and Storm CRPG (or a Top Secret S.I. RPG, dammit), I'm happy to settle for something built on 3.5. It certainly beats most systems built specifically for one computer game, in my experience.

Network Hub
    Ooh, this could be interesting. In my non-tabletop gaming opinion, Obsidian did a very good job with NWN2. I really like RPGs based on tabletop mechanics, you get a lot of depth in levelling/skill choices. Even Dungeons and Dragons Online managed to have a fair amount of character-building choices, despite being a very F2P MMO.
    So, hopefully, Obsidian can turn their hand to non-linear character building again, regardless of if it is an MMO or a SPRPG, and I can get to work on creating more punch-based warlocks.

And, if anyone wants to PM me mechanic/character choice heavy RPGs like NWN...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    "Another?" The only one I'm aware of is NWN2, am I missing something? As modern RPG systems go, I'm rather fond of it, and since I'm never going to get a Mythos CRPG or a Sun and Storm CRPG (or a Top Secret S.I. RPG, dammit), I'm happy to settle for something built on 3.5. It certainly beats most systems built specifically for one computer game, in my experience.
    Maximized Missile Swarm, Rest, Rinse & Repeat. Occasionally if a fight gets difficult, you could spend three years prebuffing. Multiclassing provides an incredible amount of build options, but it also makes balance very, very hard. Eventually there's a few bruteforce tactics that get exploited over and over again against increasing piles of HP and resistance. Then there's all the standard complaints with 3.5 that have filled up dozens of forums elsewhere.

It was an enjoyable game because it was made my Obsidian, and they generally make good games, not because it was 3.5E.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Pathfinder has few advantages over DnD in a CRPG context.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Pathfinder has few advantages over DnD in a CRPG context.
    The license is much, much cheaper, and that's a huge advantage. The kinds of studios that can afford the D&D license these days are unlikely to actually make a good D&D game with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Maximized Missile Swarm, Rest, Rinse & Repeat. Occasionally if a fight gets difficult, you could spend three years prebuffing. Multiclassing provides an incredible amount of build options, but it also makes balance very, very hard. Eventually there's a few bruteforce tactics that get exploited over and over again against increasing piles of HP and resistance. Then there's all the standard complaints with 3.5 that have filled up dozens of forums elsewhere.

It was an enjoyable game because it was made my Obsidian, and they generally make good games, not because it was 3.5E.
    Actually I didn't much care for NWN2. Too long, too repetitive, and not an especially good implementation of 3.5 rules thanks to the real time nature and the "no one can die if anyone lives" nonsense. You'd made it sound, however, like there were other 3.5 games, hence my curiosity.
    Last edited by vinraith; 13-08-2014 at 03:44 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah, I've been a big fan of Pathfinder for years. I think I prefer D&D 4e for a quick one off campaign, but Pathfinder is solid as hell and fixes most of the problems 3/3.5e had (aside from low level characters being completely boring compared to mid-level or higher, and high-level characters being unkillable unless you are the anti-munchkin).

As for Obsidian: I am still cautiously optimistic over Pillars of Eternity and the like, but they still need to prove themselves in my eyes. The last few games they did (with minimal pressure from publishers it seems) were rather "meh" in my eyes, and we all know what happens when they get "screwed by the publisher". I want to love them (and I do... :p), but they are definitely not reliable.
    Last edited by gundato; 13-08-2014 at 04:44 AM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    The license is much, much cheaper, and that's a huge advantage. The kinds of studios that can afford the D&D license these days are unlikely to actually make a good D&D game with it.

Actually I didn't much care for NWN2. Too long, too repetitive, and not an especially good implementation of 3.5 rules thanks to the real time nature and the "no one can die if anyone lives" nonsense. You'd made it sound, however, like there were other 3.5 games, hence my curiosity.
    Temple of elemental evil was 3.5 and a far better implementation than NWN2
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    Temple of elemental evil was 3.5 and a far better implementation than NWN2
    I hadn't realized TOEE was late enough to be 3.5. It's one of those games I keep meaning to revisit with the Circle of Eight patch, I really should get around to that.

Activated Node
    Happy to be proven wrong, confirmed it is NOT an MMO. Or a pen&paper supplement to Pillars of Eternity. There will be a cardgame, AND a CRPG by Obs. Announcement soon, more news over the weekend.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index...rd-game.93553/

Hopefully a real CRPG and not an online version of the cardgame. Now that they got their own engine and tools in place from PoE, doing new content should be cheaper and easier than starting from scratch for every game. They said Fallout: NV was cheaper to make than you would expect.

The eternal question: Real Time with Pause, or Turn Based? I like both, so I'm good either way. Slight preference for turn based, but not if there is lots of filler combat, then it turns into a drag.
    Last edited by LarsWestergren; 13-08-2014 at 07:44 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    ooh, good call. Fair enough. I hadn't thought about price.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Yeah, I've been a big fan of Pathfinder for years. I think I prefer D&D 4e for a quick one off campaign, but Pathfinder is solid as hell and fixes most of the problems 3/3.5e had
    My usual gaming group has moved on to Pathfinder from 3.5 somewhere last year, and I must say it's been a breath of fresh air. The rules have been streamlined, but not dumbed down like the 4th edition was. I'm not sure how big of a difference it's going to make in a video game context though. A lot of the skills that have changed between 3.5 and Pathfinder are skills like jump, climb, gather information, etc. Those are not the skills you'll probably be using in a video game adaptation of a pen and paper game.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    They've just posted this on facebook:

OBSIDIAN ANNOUNCES PATHFINDER LICENSE
    Obsidian to partner with Paizo Inc. to release electronic Pathfinder games
    INDIANAPOLIS -- August 13, 2014 -- Obsidian Entertainment, the developer of Fallout: New Vegas, South Park: the Stick of Truth and the Kickstarter phenomenon Pillars of Eternity, announced that they have entered into a long-term licensing partnership with Paizo Inc. to produce electronic games based on its popular Pathfinder Roleplaying Game intellectual property
    Obsidian's first licensed product will be a tablet game based on the highly successful Pathfinder Adventure Card game, a cooperative game for 1 to 4 players. Players each have a unique character composed of a deck of cards and a set of stats. Characters have classes such as fighter, rogue, wizard and cleric, as well as numbers that define attributes such as strength, wisdom and charisma etc. Players will be able to customize their deck to better suit each individualís vision of their character.
    "At Obsidian we have a long history of working with the greatest RPG franchises, and we're thrilled to get to play in the Pathfinder universe now," said CEO Feargus Urquhart. "We're huge fans and can't wait to bring what we do in the electronic gaming world to Pathfinder fans everywhere".
    In the world of Pathfinder, players take on the role of brave adventurers fighting to survive in a world beset by magic and evil. The Pathfinder RPG is currently translated into multiple languages, with hundreds of thousands of players worldwide. The Pathfinder brand has also been licensed for comic book series, graphic novels, miniatures, plush toys, apparel, and is being developed into a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game.
    "Obsidian is a video game developer at the top of its game", said Paizo CEO Lisa Stevens. "Being able to bring that type of experience and passion to Pathfinder can only mean great things, both for our loyal Pathfinder community and for all fans of great CRPG's."
    Obsidian will be at Gen Con 2014 showing off an early prototype of the digital Pathfinder Adventure Card Game in the Paizo booth (#203) and in their own booth (#2151) featuring the first consumer hands on for Pillars of Eternity.
    So tablet only for now. Which I don't mind, since we'll already have PoE in the near future.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    So tablet only for now. Which I don't mind, since we'll already have PoE in the near future.
    Collectable cardgames aren't really my thing, but I'll try it when it comes. And on a positive note, they say this is the first game and that Obsidian are the official licenceholders in a long term relationship. So that's a better position than they ever were with D&D. We might see a Pathfinder game running on version 2 of the Pillars of Eternity engine one day... If we are lucky.