Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Why you hated The Boss?
    I'd like to know Eight Rooks answer, but she always struck me as being a bit of a "Hypocritical-Jesus" figure.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Why you hated The Boss?
    Stuck-up invincible know-it-all spouting nearly meaningless pop-psychology about the nature of war and soldiering, with a backstory shot full of idiotic alternate history and conspiracy theory waffle that makes no real sense? (It really doesn't. SUPERSOLDIERS WON WORLD WAR II, BECAUSE AWESOME. THE 1% HID A SECRET TREASURE OR SOMETHING, WE ALL WANT IT, BECAUSE REASONS. Yeah, okay.) And where Kojima tries weakly to make out that her being a woman has any bearing on the things she does? (It really doesn't.) Gee, I wonder why I didn't get on with her? Metal Gear is at its weakest when it actively pretends that anything it's saying is somehow deadly serious, and she's probably the most humourless, deadly serious thing the franchise has ever done. (At least in the games I've played - 2, 3, 4 and a chunk of Peace Walker.)
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    You're definitely the first person I've heard hate Boss haha. I thought MGS3 was the most interesting and most impeccable tbh. Character wise and story wise I thought it was both revealing and revealed just the best bits and really improved the story without closing to many ends.

The purpose of the legacy was that it was a money pool build to ensure victory in WW2 by Russia/China/USA. It's just that the powers that be re: The Patriots re: the Lalilulelo re: Mr. Director re: Zero ended up with it and that's how MGS2 events happen and lead up to the world in MGS4. At the end of MGS3 it appears that EVA steals the data holding the keys to all the accounts for that money but the real one ends up with the CIA re: DCI re: Mr. Director re: the identity of whom is in spoiler/white writing up there.

The Boss, Big Boss, the Solid Snake are all just on a continuum of one another. They all had the same goals in mind, to make the world fair or whole or one or something on similar lines, only through their experience and I guess through their personas they used different means to try to achieve that end. Boss thought that by dying she could end the Cold War basically, and then that Big Boss would take up her mantle and be the hero to prevent war in the future.

I find it kind of awesome that the final hero Solid Snake becomes this independent activism thing in MGS2, I thought that was super badass lol.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Just curious, assuming some of you who have never gamed on any of Playstation platforms, how would you come to know this franchise so well?

I myself played the first MGS on PC, since back then I didn't play Playstation One when black market support for game consoles not being officially distributed here were not as comprehensive as they are nowadays. Of course you probably would have your consoles mod-chipped (please don't give me an innocent look on "what is mod-chip"), but when one's console broke down, the only solution was probably to buy a replacement.

I have to say that back then it was a very good port, as the gameplay worked excellent on on keyboard+mouse (of course, not so which XP SP2 upgrade, driver issue rendered the software not working at all, Konami really sucked on PC programming). Yet, I noticed that beauty just because I was too lucky to have some friends who happened to have played it, admired it much and therefore recommended it to me, which essentially converted me into a MGS fanboy. And later when I realized that PC or other ports of the 2nd installment would be 1 year after the time exclusivity for Playstation 2 was over, I really didn't give a damn since most over here (me included of course) were mostly gaming on Playstation 2 anyway. At that age, no one could really afford to miss out on that great platform.

But then, Konami really didn't give a damn about us. Really, not even its striving arcade business. Unlike other Japanese arcade games, Konami's dancing games and others are running on Playstation platforms. (I think most of recent Konami arcades run on Playstation 3). Konami never really is enthusiastic in PC gaming. Yet, it seems many of you are long-time follower of MGS, one of such Konami franchise never really commits to PC throughout its life.

I don't think there is any fundamental change of Konami's strategy towards us just because it now ports MGS5 to PC. I myself would definitely wait and observe. If the PC version is not substantially superior to Xbox / Playstation version, I would boycott it. PC gamers always deserve better version of the same game to console gamers, that's why I spend more on PC hardware in the first place and Konami must be made aware of this basic fact.

Anyway. Some more gameplay, some highlights... using Fulton recovery on a sheep and a jeep, a pack of wolves (there are different wildlife in the game, some hostile), a helicopter patrol (with a very creative way of destroying it), cutting power to an area to darken it, hiding in a dumpster, some other cool stuff (re: the horse poops at ~5:05 min, and this is actually having a gameplay function... lol).

The gameplay starts at 4 minutes. It's actually the exact same scene as shown in previous demos, except during night. And the player does mostly different things and the mission is also varied.

A cool part is the "AI learning" what the player does. The point it talks about is using the tranq dart gun too much and headshots, such that the enemies then begin using helmets to counter it.

The tranq gun is typically the most useful gun in the series since MGS2.

It also shows how big the game area is, at one part even shows this off lol... by pointing out the vantage point in the E3 2014 demo.
    Last edited by rockman29; 17-08-2014 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    There is a lot of awesome substance in MGS1/2/3 I think, those are definitely my favourites.

Much less dark/noire-y-ness in those games. They take on very interesting themes. MGS1 - 2 - 3 correspond to 3 distinct themes.

MGS1's is Gene. Related to the genes in Solid Snake and Liquid Snake that are common and derived from Big Boss. It also relates to genetic evolution and natural selection with the FOXDIE virus which kills several characters in the game through their genes.

MGS2's is Memory. Probably many threads, there are a lot of mini-stories within the game about mothers and children and characters being barren and other things, re: how they propagate their memories and culture, same is mentioned at the end of the game, what is passed on through generations, not just genes but culture and memories. For Raiden the "memory" thread is about what his identity is. Raiden is almost literally meant to be "the player" as he is supposed to be this blank slate with nothing, and like the player you learn to do all the things Solid Snake does and defeat Metal Gear, again, like Solid Snake has done so many times before. For the antagonist the memory thread is this whole deal with this digital memory and AI called GW that supposedly controls everything, and I guess there is some undercurrent of opposing fate somewhere in there as well. It also has aspects of scene from MGS3 in which Raiden is meant to be sculpted by his experience into another Solid Snake.

MGS3's is Scene. The environment plays a massive role in the gameplay, much more so than in past games, as far as blending into your environment using camouflage and survival in hostile enemy territory and natural environment. It also doubles as the "scene" or circumstances/exposures of Big Boss that change him into who he is by the time Peace Walker starts.

Of any of the first three games, MGS1 is probably the most impeccably made and consistent. It just feels perfect as a game and experience. MGS2 is probably the weirdest, and most infuriating to many because it replaced Snake with Raiden for most of the game. And MGS3 is probably the most rich game in terms of gameplay design and in illustrating great characters.

MGS4 was a crap ton of fan service and craziness than I don't think needed to happen. They turned one of the infamous characters "Johnny Sasaki" who always has diarrhea into a main character for some reason.... lol. And It tried to close too many loose ends at once and I think it really diluted the overall experience. It's an awesome game, but I don't feel it holds the same amazing standard of the first 3 Solid games.

Probably a lot of other things I didn't mention but those are the big things. But I should digress a bit I guess, this thread is about the PC version of TPP :D

I just think the MGS series is damn rich in history and substance, probably one of the most rich and unique experiences in gaming period, extremely happy more people will be introduced to it. There's always these discussions on the web about "oh what is the best stealth series, MGS or this or this or this" and not only do those not usually give credit to how much MGS does right in it's own version of stealth which is incredible creative and fun to play with, but it ignores that MGS is not only a great stealth series but it's many, many things more than that to a lot of people as well.

I can only hope the other games come to PC sooner than later again, and with reasonable control schemes even if it will still only play well on a controller pad... as long as it works and plays well with something.
    That's a read for a noob to the series like me. I was kinda cringing to a ground zero long play.
    Last edited by Wenz; 17-08-2014 at 10:20 AM.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Would love if series were more serious then they are,without all anime humor and breaking "fourth wall" stuff. But i guess thats why make the series stand out.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Would love if series were more serious then they are,without all anime humor and breaking "fourth wall" stuff. But i guess thats why make the series stand out.
    Exactly. It wouldn't be MGS without it.

@squirrel: I played 1-3 on Playstation, but then I stopped buying consoles, so I've yet to play MGS4.

To me it's always like running into a wall at first, when playing a new MGS after a long time, because of all the silliness. Just look at the cardboard box video. As if the enemies couldn't tell that they're not looking at a human. You just got to crack a smile and roll with it. It's just pure adolescent fun, which is perfectly fine once in a while. I mean, they don't do this anymore!

If you're new to MGS and you want to try one out, I recommend MGS3 on PS2. It can be emulated on PC now a days if you don't have a PS2. I think from a design stand point it's the best crafted game in the series. I liked the plot/cut-scenes better in the first one though.

I can live with silliness, it's just it seems I'll get a lot of "this is wasd yadayada"

For some reason the cardbox stunts remind me of cat videos.
    These utility moves are hilarious.
    Last edited by Wenz; 17-08-2014 at 07:01 PM.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    "We're Diamond Cats", heheheh.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Those things and many others :)

Some might think that's all the MGS series has to offer, being "different", but hopefully these gameplay videos are giving a different impression.
    Last edited by rockman29; 18-08-2014 at 12:23 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Don't get me wrong, I am cool with the humor. I do wish it would be less "kawai, yay anime", but considering it is Japanese, I can't really complain. I am sure there are plenty of folk in Japan who wish Marvel had less homoeroticism (and plenty who wish it had more! :p). My main issue is, like I said, tone. Going for the humor restricts how serious you can go later, and over the years it really has felt like Kojima wants to crank up both, which just doesn't work and feels rather offensive.

It is TV, but I think a show like Wilfred (US, and probably AU) did a great job of balancing things. It got REALLY dark at times, but it stayed firmly rooted in the humor so it was more "Wow... I am a fucked up human being for laughing at a dog crying in the shower because he was raped" rather than "oh no, social issue. Wilfred was abused at doggy day care!". Sometimes it goes full on serious (rather often during this final season), but the humor generally cuts off for a scene or two so things can ramp up. And its super serious moments are more about the bonds between the characters rather than trying to "make you think". It didn't always get it right, but the writers generally knew their limits.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Going for the humor restricts how serious you can go later
    Catch 22 wants to have a talk with you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    The reason MGS's quirky elements fall flat is that they aren't actually funny. There's no painful, awful, absurd truth underlying like a Vonnegut, Heller, Carlin, Bruce, or Kubrick. So, yes, using horse shit as a Mario Kart banana is anachronistic and detracting, but that doesn't lend itself to blanket statements about anything but Kojima himself.

You probably don't get a party for every character death yet when you wonder about demographic you'd think of snake looking like maru the cat.
    Could say similar stuff about kid characters or whatever trend and current but a lot of it might be funny adv before tragic tragedies ground zero promises to happen.
    Last edited by Wenz; 18-08-2014 at 09:27 AM.
    post in progress

For the ones criticizing the game/series strongly (mainly in response to Sabrage's post), which games in the series have you played/finished or what is your experience with the series in your own words?
    Last edited by rockman29; 18-08-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    You know, I rather leave the guy alone and let him do his thing so I can enjoy one of a kind games. Isn't that what everyone is always crying for? Creative freedom, so devs can make the games they want? But when they do make use of it, the players are still complaining about it being silly or whatnot. Can't please everyone obviously.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    For the ones criticizing the game/series strongly (mainly in response to Sabrage's post), which games in the series have you played/finished or what is your experience with the series in your own words?
    1, 2, half of 3, Acid, and Revengeance, the latter of which was tonally consistent and thoroughly entertaining.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    The phrase "raped a bomb into her" and MGS2 on the PC for about 40 minutes before being bored to tears. Also watching it being played at work a lot.

Oh also Revengeance.
    Last edited by Zephro; 18-08-2014 at 09:19 PM.