Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node

Risen 3: Titan Lords - Reviews, Pros, Cons and Insights

Once again I'm on the fence about a game and once again, I can think of no better place I can turn for opinions on said title, than the RPS Community.

I really want to like a large, open world RPG. But with October-geddon looming large on the Horizon (and Steam Sales round the holiday bend) my wallet just cannot afford to whiff on a huge title I wont much enjoy.

So...pray tell, dear RPS readers, how is Risen 3? And most especially, how is the combat? Does it consist of varied move sets, depth and such? Smooth and responsive or clunky and slow? And perhaps most importantly, is it weightless feather pillow fighting such as Skyrim or do weapons have heft and impact?

Any information folks could shed on the combat and/or magic would be most welcome. As would any other info.

Thanks.

So far combat in Risen 3 feels ok. You have a "combo" of three light attacks (click-click-click), a heavy attack(hold-release), pistol shot(E), block(RMB) and dodge(double tap WSAD). It has some depth in learning enemies move patterns and landing the full three attack combo takes some timing and planning, and once you get the timing down it's quite fluid and responsive. Unfortunately to me the combat also feels "weightless", all the weapons I've tried so far all seemed to have the same timing and swing speed.

The world is gorgeous tho, and it really feels like a Gothic/Risen Game to me, even the starting/tutorial area is fairly open and has a lot of extra stuff to discover if you just explore. I think it's got some good stuff going for it and I definitely think it's worth it so far, but combat is not a selling point.

Network Hub
    Reading forums and reviews this game seems to be one of the better PB titles. Improved over Risen 2 in most areas.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I could really get behind the idea of an open world RPG that does not need mods to fix it. So long as the combat is Witcher 2 levels of serviceable or better I dont think I would mind much. My other concern is gimmicky bosses. Loved many of the Dark Souls 2 bosses; hated every boss fight in Darksiders 2. Gimmicky, one-viable-method bosses just...irritate me.

Any thoughts on bosses and whether different weapon sets offer different move sets, by chance?

Thanks.

Network Hub
    If combat is improved from Risen 2 (which seems like it is) and close to Risen 1, then it's already better than the Witcher 2.

Combat does remind me of the Witcher 2 in the moves, get in, swing, dodge, parry, but floatier. And it's definitely an improvement over Risen 2 considering it's possible to beat the first enemies in the game... Still lacks "weight" tho, somehow, it's one of those intangibles in gaming I think.

Still, I think I like it, quite a lot.

Network Hub
    I think I might get this. I've been a huge PB supporter since Gothic, and that series has given me 100s of hours of great entertainment. If I simply mailed them a $50 check I'd still come out ahead. For me Gothic 1&2 remain must-plays for hard core RPG fans, and Gothic 3 is pretty close.

I was able to tweak Risen to run on three monitors. Does this game have multi-monitor resolutions natively?

Risen 1 was a lot of fun, and I got a few islands into Risen 2. While I was hunting/exploring it got dark and I got lost, not realizing you can't rest out in the wilderness. I think I ran out of health stuff as well.

For some reason I couldn't be compelled to find my way home and I never did finish it.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    So far...I am trying, very hard, to like it. The voice acting is admittedly terrible. Objectively bad. Honest. And the Bones character...you could not find a worse mismatch between character and actor if you tried.

Combat is...clunky, early on. Blocking is useless. Against literally everything, your block is broken constantly. And weapon strikes take forever.

At best the game is serviceable. Like every rendition of Risen, the production values are nowhere near on par with the AAA asking price. This should have been a $15 - $20 game, tops. Tops.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    So far...I am trying, very hard, to like it. The voice acting is admittedly terrible. Objectively bad. Honest. And the Bones character...you could not find a worse mismatch between character and actor if you tried.

Combat is...clunky, early on. Blocking is useless. Against literally everything, your block is broken constantly. And weapon strikes take forever.

At best the game is serviceable. Like every rendition of Risen, the production values are nowhere near on par with the AAA asking price. This should have been a $15 - $20 game, tops. Tops.
    Well others disagree. Some are saying its one of the best PB games to date, and big step up from Risen 2.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by smullyoz View Post
    Well others disagree. Some are saying its one of the best PB games to date, and big step up from Risen 2.
    Two things about that statement.

First, opinions about games are always subjective. Except that opinion about poor voice acting and mis-cast actors. I assure that's as close to critical, objective analysis as a person can come. Ever.

Second, claiming the game is a big step up from Risen 2...how much would it really take to be a step up from that game, really?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The pirate of the sea can now actually swim instead of teleporting back on land. That's gotta be a step up, no? Given the low of Risen 2, this is like double the fun already. I'm sorry, I shouldn't be in this thread, I have no respect for Piranha Bytes anymore - but I just couldn't let this opportunity slip.

Network Hub
    Two things about that statement.

First, opinions about games are always subjective. Except that opinion about poor voice acting and mis-cast actors. I assure that's as close to critical, objective analysis as a person can come. Ever.

Second, claiming the game is a big step up from Risen 2...how much would it really take to be a step up from that game, really?
    I enjoyed Risen 2 as much as I did Risen 1. It had some flaws, but not enough to stop me from loving the game.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I tried the game today and my opinions have shifted squarely to the negative. Its a broken mess with a combat system that is atrocious and bored, uninspired voice acting. Neither parry nor dodge work. At all. One gets your guard broken by every single hit you ever take and the other lasts 5+ seconds and rolls you out of one attack and right into another. Its perhaps the worst combat system I have seen in modern, action-oriented RPG games. Skyrim was terrible, but at least its combat system, such as it was, worked as advertised.

Furthermore, I have played mods with voice acting that blows this $50 production out of the water. The acting is unforgivably bad. The actor for bones is a gross mismatch with the character. Its laughable for about 30 seconds and embarrassing thereafter. Listening to the dialogue in this game makes me feel that weird adult who still likes children's movies long after he no longer should.

And despite all this I want to like it. I do. I find myself wondering if perhaps I am missing something. Doing something wrong. Maybe there is something about the combat I am simply missing. Dont know what it would be, since at this point the combat is simply something that does not work, at all, but still, maybe its me.

Trouble is I have felt this way before. I wanted to like Skyrim so much more than I did. And I felt for months like it was me missing something. Slowly, over time, I came to realize that just because millions of people love it, it doesnt mean its a good game. It just means millions of people have low expectations.

More and more developers and publishers have this belief that they can put a shoddy game with broken mechanics into a large open world and the players will turn a blind eye toward the myriad problems and just be happy to be left alone and allowed to explore. And sadly, it seems they're mostly not wrong.

Network Hub
    Saying that it has worst combat says you have no clue about it. Spend a little more time playing the game instead of looking for faults.

Some people either lack patience or the will to learn, or both.

Yeah i'm a fanboy i know :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    These reactions have made me cautiously optimistic for it. Especially when the primary criticism is VO, which has never been good in Piranha Bytes games and will never be good in Piranha Byte games.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    These reactions have made me cautiously optimistic for it. Especially when the primary criticism is VO, which has never been good in Piranha Bytes games and will never be good in Piranha Byte games.
    If you're a PB fan just get the game, you won't be disappointed.

Neither parry nor dodge work. At all. One gets your guard broken by every single hit you ever take and the other lasts 5+ seconds and rolls you out of one attack and right into another.
    That is not my experience at all.. First of all, disclaimer: I don't think Risen 3's combat system is good, it's too weightless and floaty. But parry and dodge work fine.

You can block light attacks 100% of the time, heavy attacks can't be blocked, but they are advertised by long wind ups and glowing particle highlights. And if the enemy uses a heavy attack you can dodge roll away. And you can choose the direction you dodge so you can quite easily roll around the enemy and jab away with light attacks until an opportunity presents itself to hit with a combo or a heavy attack. And since attacks auto move your character into range you can be way out of range of the enemy attacks while winding up your heavy attack, and then roll away as soon as you connect, or keep hitting wih a combo if the enemy gets staggered.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    A little further along, and the biggest problem with combat comes from creatures. Human/humanoid creatures do telegraph heavy blows. Makes it relatively easy to dodge roll away. Which is the ONLY option you have with these strikes, at least early on. And beware, because some strikes send you and foes rushing forward, and they cover a TON of ground. Absurd distances, really.

Creatures, on the other hand, almost always stagger and break your guard. And they do not telegraph anything. Best strategy: dont get hit. Period.

Which is a problem because dodge roll takes several seconds to complete and covers a ton of ground. Which can easily put you so far outside the fight that by the time you turn round and prepare your own counterstrike the enemy is already attacking once more, forcing you to dodge roll again.

Its maybe not the worst system, but if the dodge roll could have been a short hop backward/to the side, it would have been a lot better.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    A little further along, and the biggest problem with combat comes from creatures. Human/humanoid creatures do telegraph heavy blows. Makes it relatively easy to dodge roll away. Which is the ONLY option you have with these strikes, at least early on. And beware, because some strikes send you and foes rushing forward, and they cover a TON of ground. Absurd distances, really.
    This was actually my problem with the first Risen. I played for a couple of hours and got mauled by a warthog; never worked up the urge to play again.

Network Hub
    Risen 1 has one of the best combat in an action RPG. Dont give up lazily.