Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Obscure Node
    Having a good time with it about 12 hours along. Combat much improved over other PB games. They've nicked a leaf from Batman's book, where you indicate a target and the character spins ballet-like as far as necessary to whack him. Unfortunately, the beasties have the same mobility.

Translation (and voices) are weak. Not sure about quests and plot overall yet.

I find the combat to be glitchy as hell. Like in previous games it's all about finding a way to exploit the messy system. I like the game well enough since exploration and getting faction ranks was always what I liked about the series, but I still wish fighting more than one enemy was less frustrating than it is.

Also, using Batman (I assume Arkham Asylum) as a comparison seems a bit misleading since it's nowhere near as well executed.
    Last edited by Hanban; 17-08-2014 at 10:52 PM.
    BobHound - EVE Online

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanban View Post
    I find the combat to be glitchy as hell. Like in previous games it's all about finding a way to exploit the messy system. I like the game well enough since exploration and getting faction ranks was always what I liked about the series, but I still wish fighting more than one enemy was less frustrating than it is.

Also, using Batman (I assume Arkham Asylum) as a comparison seems a bit misleading since it's nowhere near as well executed.

Are you referring to the Risen series or all PB games? I only played through Risen once as a melee and iirc there was a lot of ducking behind your shield but nothing I found too annoying.

I thought the combat in Gothic 1&2 was challenging and rewarding (once I figured out the combos). I liked the archery system in Gothic 3.

Beating an orc in Gothic 1 at a lower level due to your own expertise in fighting is quite an accomplishment.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by cranberry View Post
    Are you referring to the Risen series or all PB games? I only played through Risen once as a melee and iirc there was a lot of ducking behind your shield but nothing I found too annoying.

I thought the combat in Gothic 1&2 was challenging and rewarding (once I figured out the combos). I liked the archery system in Gothic 3.

Beating an orc in Gothic 1 at a lower level due to your own expertise in fighting is quite an accomplishment.
    My favorite Gothic kill is from G1. I beat a bloodhound by successfully dodging its attacks, kiting it to the edge of a cliff, and then dodging aside as it leaped over the edge. But yes, orcs are a fun challenge even if they take for-fucking-ever.

Network Hub
    Speaking of Gothic 3, is there any viable way to play it without having to suffer through the abysmal melee combat?

I suppose I mostly speak for the Gothic games since I only played through Risen 1 & 2 once. In the old Gothic games (1&2 primarily) I remember there were ways to essentially lock enemies into patterns where they couldn't attack you. I tended to do this against orcs, for example.
    BobHound - EVE Online

Network Hub
    Yeah, timing was always key with Gothic games, only it seemed to me like animals in Gothic 3 would sometimes launch an uninterruptible attack, which was irritating like hell. I mean, I'm okay with having to time my attacks precisely, but that was just BS.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    My tactic for Gothic 2 as archer was to climb on something and spam arrows,and honestly it worked. I beat the game and expansion pack this way :D ALso i was the best thief in the world wootwoot!!

Network Hub
    I never did archery as a main profession in Gothic 1; it was a little borked. Your arrows would go towards your target no matter which direction you were facing and it looked a little silly seeing your arrows turn around in mid-air and hit something directly behind you.

But archery in Gothic 3 was really well done imo. I got good enough to hit moving targets from a long way off fairly consistently.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Its bigger than risen, but has worse combat. Its better than risen2, but risen 2 was unlikeable so that is not saying much.

Has many problems with design. Melee combat is awnful. It feels somewhat like a AA console game, but thats part of the style since gothic 1. Its a recomended game for Gothic/Risen fans, but for everyone else will be a hard to like game.
    Abandoned PC gaming for good. Now rest in a better place. psn:Teikman

I've never played any Risen/Gothic games. I am definitely interested though (big fan of open world RPGs). Should I get this game to try it out or would it be better to buy one of the older ones?

I do like fancy graphics...lol

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I would start from the beginning if the graphics don't bother you too much. Gothic 1 and 2 are the undisputed best games in the series. There's one part of Gothic 2 that's a lot cooler if you've played Gothic 1. Gothic 3 is so so. Risen is basically half a Gothic game. Risen 2 is janky, but I really liked it.

Just want to mention that Gothic 3 with the Community Patch, which makes substantial improvements to every part of the game, is well worth playing, and I'd definitely recommend it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If you are dumb like me, just get Risen 1. Its simple, its pretty and is good. You can probably find it cheap somewhere.
    Abandoned PC gaming for good. Now rest in a better place. psn:Teikman

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanban View Post

No idea what you mean by this - it seems remarkably glitch and clunk free compared to other PB games. A bit over-dependent on the roll and perhaps too easy for some people towards the later parts of the game, but I like it a lot. I also like the dynamic I don't think Batman had of there tending to be someone on your side, so between the two of you you can keep an enemy permanently whacked off balance.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Don't worry i completed for the first time Gothic 2 game last year and still i find it one of the best rpg games out there. Don't be shy and grab the game from Gog and enjoy some epic german stuff ;)

I loved Gothic 2 back in the day, but I can't stand the controls anymore. It is much worse with Gothic 1. Never played through it, started many times and was always repelled by the abysmal controls.

I'm loving Risen 3 so far, 25 hours in, except for the sea battles (just ran into the first monster and god, it's so bad!!! Why is there no option to skip these terrible interuptions of a otherwise great game?!).
    The world design really presents the pinnacle of the genre, there just isn't anything better when it comes to map design and arousing the urge to explore! I find the graphics extremely pretty too. Just make sure to use SweetFX, to tone down the gaudy colour scheme, replace the useless FXAA with SMAA and apply some additional sharpening. It makes a huge difference, without it looks like a straight port from the consoles, with SweetFX it looks like The Witcher 2 (will post some pics later on for comparison).

Btw: what happened to Alec's Risen 3 Diary? He seems to have dropped it, there hasn't been an update in over a week.
    Last edited by KwisatzHaderach; 24-08-2014 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    No idea what you mean by this - it seems remarkably glitch and clunk free compared to other PB games.
    I'm glad someone is enjoying the combat. I've seen enemies get stuck, NPCs getting stuck, the player not being able to attack due to some small rock in the way, NPCs standing uselessly staring at the enemies despite of being engaged in combat, etc. Fighting packs of enemies is by far the worst. Due to how enemies (don't) telegraph their attacks you never know what enemy to dodge, or when, when you're focused on one target. This frustration lessens the farther into the game you get and you just steamtroll your way through everything, but god was it annoying in the beginning.

For me the combat was never the most interesting part so I can enjoy the game despite of it being the way it is.
    BobHound - EVE Online

I'm yet to try the game for my self, but the critics reception was pretty good. I'm glad that the series got some good reviews.