Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Calamity's Avatar

EU IV: Art of War expansion discussion

So in this thread we can discuss and give feedback on the developing Art of War expansion for EU IV

Reference material.

Last edited by Calamity; 12-09-2014 at 03:51 PM.
    God Overlord of the Glorious Zapotec Empire & all-round Games and Stratagy Wizard.
    Lord Oreolus Cookie the first, ruler of Glorious Viet Om nom nom

Network Hub

Patch thread.

Every dlc changes core mechanics.
    We got multiple campaigns and discussing changes to all of 'em in multiple threads is stupid, so here's a new one.

Next in line, Art of War for EU4:

Personally i feel india might become broken for a while (the whole "6 trade nodes form a circle" i mentioned in another thread), as i don't trust paradox entirely on not making broken mechanics.
    I love 'em, don't get me wrong, they just somehow don't seem to always consider multipliers on multipliers (or cumulative +%'s).

Need (want!) more info on the new local autonomy to talk about that more but eh. I got a feeling they're going to go ahead and make military expansion even harder (which would be fine if there was more internal politics and more diplomatic options to take).

I also am worried on hordes as they can be fun to play for early game, but the only change we've now heard for them seems to be a permanent negative effect on them. Again, need to see more on exact mechanics though.

Anyway, opinions, more info to share?

Last edited by Graerth; 22-08-2014 at 04:53 PM.

Beat you to it
    God Overlord of the Glorious Zapotec Empire & all-round Games and Stratagy Wizard.

Network Hub
    Yeah, i came back to old thread to get the link to the AoW Dev preview and then when i update the thread by going back to last page..."Fuck".

EDIT: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...nomy-amp-India

In case others wander to this thread instead of yours as well

Quote Originally Posted by Graerth View Post
    Yeah, i came back to old thread to get the link to the AoW Dev preview and then when i update the thread by going back to last page..."Fuck".

EDIT: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...nomy-amp-India

In case others wander to this thread instead of yours as well
    Meh just format your first post to add the dev link and add your discussion topics to mine etc and we'll see which thread sticks and delete the other one. Technically this one has the most replies.

Network Hub
    Edited to first post, Quanta can roll the dice on which to spare.

Few paradox forum posters speculated that the Indus node might not flow to Kashmir, but Samarkand instead, preventing the "infinite loop of bullshit trade" i was worried about. Will see how it pans out.
    Last edited by Graerth; 22-08-2014 at 04:56 PM.

Network Hub
    Personally i feel India might become really strong, but paradox forum posts do alleviate worst fears and the whole "6 trade nodes form a circle" of bullshit seemingly doesn't happen as trade might flow to Samarkand from Indus, instead of to Kashmir.

I love a lot of paradox' work, don't get me wrong, they just somehow don't seem to always consider multipliers on multipliers (or cumulative +%'s) so i don't fully trust them. No, me loving and not trusting them doesn't reflect my social life .

Need (want!) more info on the new local autonomy to talk about that more but eh. I got a feeling they're going to go ahead and make military expansion even harder (which would be fine if there was more internal politics and more diplomatic options to take).

I also am worried for hordes as they can be fun to play for early game, but the only change we've now heard for them seems to be a permanent negative effect on them. Again, need to see more on exact mechanics though.

Quote Originally Posted by Graerth View Post
    Edited to first post, Quanta can roll the dice on which to spare.

Few paradox forum posters speculated that the Indus node might not flow to Kashmir, but Samarkand instead, preventing the "infinite loop of bullshit trade" i was worried about. Will see how it pans out.
    And yeah Paradox isn't stupid enough to make an infinite loop especially not on that small of a scale.
    Last edited by Calamity; 22-08-2014 at 05:09 PM.

I just merged them both.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    I just merged them both.
    All hail the Quanta.

Since I got the thread lead I'll just format my post to look nice and tidy Graerth and then delete all these meaningless merge/delete posts.
    Last edited by Calamity; 22-08-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Network Hub
    My "Oh you can stack land maintenance over 100% reduction for infinite money and troops that earn you ever increasing money by existing" or the more doable and famous ddrjake exploits of "Subsidize a vassal for infinite money" or "loot by exiled troops" makes me not trust them not to do infinite loops, but yeah, too small scale for them to miss.

Should be way too obvious.

EDIT: Hail Quanta.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    my first reaction:

"Trade...TrAdE.....need more TRADE!"

Clearly I am slightly addicted to trade :P
    Steam: Dominicus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    First reaction: Man, India is gonna get broken by the expansion. Thankfully I wasn't planning on expanding there anyway. :P

Second reaction: I like the autonomy thing as an idea. It should scale nicely as an empire grows, so late game you can take a lot of territory and give them a lot of autonomy since you don't care as much about the tax income (and maybe it will even lead to some interesting "too big empires" which collapse due to not getting enough income for an army needed to controll and defend all that land). It's probably gonna be stupendously broken at launch, but I like the idea behind it at least.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

So this is the second time my nation will be effected by a patch... When does this roll out?
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Probably not for a couple months. I think they started talking about wealth of nations two-three months before release.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    My gues would be end of oktober early november. December would be late, as it's a busy period and HoI4 beta starts around that time as well.
    Steam: Dominicus

So here's to hoping nationalism after conquest gets replaced by the 50% autonomy boost upon conquest.

Edit: Local Autonomy has no impact on unrest it seems so sadly no.
    Last edited by Calamity; 25-08-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    My gues would be end of oktober early november. December would be late, as it's a busy period and HoI4 beta starts around that time as well.
    If the first game was anything to go by, reaching 1821 would take ~5 months. So i guess these changes - and the India overhaul in particular - will come slap bang in the middle of it. It will be interesting to see how drastic the changes are for the region, if at all.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    If the first game was anything to go by, reaching 1821 would take ~5 months. So i guess these changes - and the India overhaul in particular - will come slap bang in the middle of it. It will be interesting to see how drastic the changes are for the region, if at all.
    Increase in amount of provinces leads to more tax income and more places to build buildings. Added trade nodes give more possibilities for higher income. You'd almost want to expansion sooner

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamity View Post
    Increase in amount of provinces leads to more tax income and more places to build buildings. Added trade nodes give more possibilities for higher income. You'd almost want to expansion sooner
    It might also mean provinces getting really weird in our, since that's what happened to another game I had when Conquest of Paradise was released. Depending on how it all pans out, it might either make India awesome, or crush it completely (or anything in between, since it's paradox after all :P). Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing the results.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc