Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Calamity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Hoc View Post
    So my point is, tech group and size only matters that much. Location and where other players are in relation to you will matter more. Therefore, take something that will be fun to play. If people view you as a threat they can always just go for you.
    That's exactly why I said no americans or too isolated and I don't think people would appreciate me taking stuff like timurids or anything of decent size. Since you do have quite an advantage. The problem is that people will probably view me as a threat anyway so I don't really want too many close neighbours (don't want to have a Johan happen). Hence Dai Viet, Kongo and Mali look nice.
    Last edited by Calamity; 18-08-2014 at 12:53 PM.
    God Overlord of the Glorious Zapotec and Dai Viet Empires & all-round Games and Stratagy Wizard.

CK II & EU IV Timelapses

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Fair point. I just meant that if you want to take a western OPM, or a bigger African country, don't hesitate to do so simply because people would view you as a threat. We both now that those starts can be very very challenging, and therefore very fun. In other words, don't limit yourself based on what others might think.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

In other words, don't limit yourself based on what others might think.
    Not taking any western OPM because I can play Europe too well and come out on top anyway. Killing France and Castile as Navarra isn't that hard. So it's more limiting myself. And if no one objects I think for now it's between Mali and Dai Viet
    God Overlord of the Glorious Zapotec and Dai Viet Empires & all-round Games and Stratagy Wizard.

CK II & EU IV Timelapses

Activated Node
    You should totally take Trebizond.

I'm going Austria
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayam
    Everything is a thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    Cal, just pick already, your the first official one, after that the others can follow.
    Steam: Dominicus

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    Cal, just pick already, your the first official one, after that the others can follow.
    True and I'll pick today don't worry I just don't want to jump in uninformed. Thing is that if someone takes Ming (Should be banned tbh) or Ayu I ain't gonna pick Dai Viet, since the area is already decently crowded. Also wanna see a few other options.

Btw don't be fooled by Hoc's weak Etheopia. If played by a player it's insanely strong. I bet you can figure out why yourself :P (Sorry Hoc)

CK II & EU IV Timelapses

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamity View Post
    Btw don't be fooled by Hoc's weak Etheopia. If played by a player it's insanely strong. I bet you can figure out why yourself :P
    Call me cocky, but I think I can make any country insanely strong given the right circumstances. :P

I was thinking about going with Kongo first though, but I decided against it in the end. I don't really feel like looking at youtube videos for the first four sessions until I can get an idea group...
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

A lot of people pick secondary nations that, in the right hands, can become very powerful. With a few newer players controlling the real major powers from the start, like mamluks and ming, the game could become very interesting.
    Last edited by Dominicus; 18-08-2014 at 04:29 PM.

Call me cocky, but I think I can make any country insanely strong given the right circumstances. :P

I was thinking about going with Kongo first though, but I decided against it in the end. I don't really feel like looking at youtube videos for the first four sessions until I can get an idea group...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    A lot of people pick secundary nations that, in the right hands, can become very powerfull. With a few newer players controlling the real major powers from the start, like mamluks and ming, the game could become very interesting.
    Thing is Etheopia has a set of particular circumstances. Protectorate bonus. Weak neighbours with a ton of gold mines AND two of the most important trade nodes. Plus Mamlukes don't attack them for those who thought that :P So it's not really a case of right circumstances and more a certain case.

If Mamlukes get picked it's cool though that changes everything, but until this point his area was quite empty. I do like to know if anyone is picking Ming or Ayu if so I'll probably go Mali instead of Dai Viet.
    I'll know more after work, which starts now.

CK II & EU IV Timelapses

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Have we given up on the idea of extra randomisation? Could make interesting choices even more interesting.

Also some English spellings:
    Ethiopia
    Secondary
    Powerful
    (sorry for the obsessive compulsive spellchecking, it was getting on my tits though)

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Have we given up on the idea of extra randomisation? Could make interesting choices even more interesting.

Also some English spellings:
    Ethiopia
    Secondary
    Powerful
    (sorry for the obsessive compulsive spellchecking, it was getting on my tits though)
    I bet you are picking a Germanic nation

CK II & EU IV Timelapses

I bet you are picking a Germanic nation
    With a little twist he could go around India as well :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thing is Etheopia has a set of particular circumstances. Protectorate bonus. Weak neighbours with a ton of gold mines AND two of the most important trade nodes. Plus Mamlukes don't attack them for those who thought that :P So it's not really a case of right circumstances and more a certain case.

If Mamlukes get picked it's cool though that changes everything, but until this point his area was quite empty. I do like to know if anyone is picking Ming or Ayu if so I'll probably go Mali instead of Dai Viet.
    I'll know more after work, which starts now.
    In my defense, I was certain that Dom would pick Oman if you didn't, and at least I have Ottomans as my neighbours neighbours, so I'm not that far from a player controlled strong nation.

I really didn't pick Ethiopia because I thought they were especially good or anything. I didn't even know that they have a protectorate bonus until now... So cheers for telling me. But yeah, I just looked at the map for a weak nation that had a start that wouldn't be completely boring (i.e. totally isolated and crappy ruler) and some different directions to take the game.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Are we sure that the Ottomans arn't considered OP? I mean, I chose them before, but then I had never played EU...

Just interested to to hear what people think.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think Ottomans are a good nation for a new-ish player. They can get very strong, but not like France or Castille, and they are hindered a bit by the possibility of going: massive overextension -> rebellions everywhere (as happened to you). So for someone in top five, they should definitely be banned. But for someone who has played a bit, but not a lot, they are pretty good. Especially since we have a player Austria acting as a balancing force.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Activated Node
    I think Ottomans are a good nation for a new-ish player. They can get very strong, but not like France or Castille, and they are hindered a bit by the possibility of going: massive overextension -> rebellions everywhere (as happened to you). So for someone in top five, they should definitely be banned. But for someone who has played a bit, but not a lot, they are pretty good. Especially since we have a player Austria acting as a balancing force.
    That and they are cursed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebellion View Post
    That and they are cursed.
    Did they disintegrate in the other game to then?
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    Did they disintegrate in the other game to then?
    First session, and yeah they are really OP but players should be able to keep it in check. Also Dai Viet is my end choice as some have maybe seen. Under the condition however that Ming or Ayu isn't chosen. There is such a thing as too crowded

CK II & EU IV Timelapses

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It will be very interesting to see what happens to Europe in this game. My advice to Burgundy and Aragon (maybe Austria as well) is to take care of France ASAP. Otherwise, they gonna get big, bad, and blue very quickly. Aragon might want to make some deals to help with taking care of Castille as well. Or you could get AI England as an ally (shouldn't be hard with enemy of enemy bonus to relations).
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc