Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

I ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ Love The Big Bang Theory!

Man, this show cracks me up.

Anyone else here watched the The Nerdvana Annihilation (The Time Machine) episode?
    If you haven't heard of this show and you love The Time Machine, then this episode is the perfect, THE PERFECT introduction to what is, well, you've read the thread title right?

Season five is on in the states as you read this. Maybe not right now, but it started this month.
    That sentence reminded me of Leonard.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    This show is good, altought it was kinda lame at the beggining.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I am nerd, programmer since 9 years old, fan of astronomy, profesional open source developer, geek... all my ex- where graphic designer weird girls. I consider Big Bang Theory is not really about geeks or nerds, but about the idea of geeks and nerds that some people have. Is untrue to the material.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroKnight View Post
    This show is good, altought it was kinda lame at the beggining.
    Conversely I thought it was MUCH better in the beginning (basically before Amy and Bernadette)

I tried to like it after Walker recommended it somewhere, but had to turn it off after about five minutes. I've since concluded that Walker's TV recommendations are BAD and NOT RECOMMENDED.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    I consider Big Bang Theory is not really about geeks or nerds, but about the idea of geeks and nerds that some people have. Is untrue to the material.
    Spot on. It's clearly written by people who aren't geeks and have their own (incorrect) opinions about how a geek behaves. For this reason I find it completely unwatchable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    its just average

edit: on the flip has anyone been watching fresh meat? I am finding that rather good

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I've since concluded that Walker's TV recommendations are BAD and NOT RECOMMENDED.
    I wouldn't say that totally...I got into Community because of him which I am loving!

Oh The Big Bang Theory is actually horrible, I physically wince when my friends are watching it. Its got some of the worst geek streotypes, and its bad because its apprantly going for the geek audience...or something I don't know but yeah horrible series.

How I Met Your Mother is a bit better.

I tried to watch it from the telly, but after seeing this one, I decided that it really isn't worth my time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by endintears View Post
    Spot on. It's clearly written by people who aren't geeks and have their own (incorrect) opinions about how a geek behaves. For this reason I find it completely unwatchable.
    Yup. Such blatant stereotypes are funny, but they wear out their welcome fast. They’re on what, their sixth season now? For a few episodes it was a curiosity. Now I want to staple my ears and eyelids shut every time it comes on.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Sheldon is far and away the best part of the show to the extent that the others largely pale into insignificance against him (he's up there with Niles from Frasier in terms of scene stealing) . They could just move him to a flat share with Penny and make it an odd couple situation and save us the trauma of the others (their interactions are generally the best).

I must admit I do like community though (and gave it a chance off of Johns recommendation).
    Last edited by Kadayi; 29-09-2011 at 01:06 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Yes, exactly that. So much I felt it necessary to repeat it a third time.

Agree with Kadayi there, Community is quite entertaining. But Big Bang Theory makes me shout at the tv within 5 minutes of it being on. I'm not sure how any one who has ever met a geek can enjoy it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar

Network Hub
    Are you saying that you find it unwatchable because you think the writers aren't geeks, and the fictional characters that they've created aren't really geeks?

Seriously? You're saying that on the Rock Paper Shotgun forums?

Someone somewhere talking about Doom -

It's clearly made by people who aren't space marines and have their own (incorrect) opinions about how a space marine behaves. For this reason I find it completely unplayable.

I find it odd how people who are geeks say they won't watch Big Bang Theory because the characters are stereotypical geeks and not real life geeks. Most comedies work from stereo types and stereotypical characters.
    Also, why would you want to watch a show about people doing stuff you do yourself and have it true to life?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redox View Post
    It's clearly made by people who aren't space marines and have their own (incorrect) opinions about how a space marine behaves. For this reason I find it completely unplayable.
    Your example doesn’t apply. Space marines are entirely fictional, where as geeks are a massive social group whose hobbies have rapidly risen to mainstream heights these past years. Also, Doom is a demon-killing simulator which doesn’t try to offer the player logic or a story. In movies and TV shows (and most games today) the characters have to be relatable so we can connect with them on some level. The Big Bang Theory has no relatable characters; it peddles stereotypes that were outdated in the 90s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I find it odd how people who are geeks say they won't watch Big Bang Theory because the characters are stereotypical geeks and not real life geeks. Most comedies work from stereo types and stereotypical characters.
    Also, why would you want to watch a show about people doing stuff you do yourself and have it true to life?
    Archetypes and stereotypes are not the same thing. And like I said before, stereotypes are funny, perfect for a single wildcard character. The problem with The Big Bang Theory is every single character is a stereotype. The same one.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 29-09-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    (video)
    Where was that god awful laugh track? That seemed almost watchable. :D

Activated Node
    Stereotypes generally have some basis in reality even though they are gross generalisations. See something like The Office for how to do it right.

I wouldn't. That's probably why Big Bang Theory is so popular - people who aren't geeks watch it and love all the hilarious hi-jinks the "geeks" get up to.

I like watching medical dramas which I'm sure are completely unrealistic. Fortunately I'm not a medical doctor so this doesn't irritate the shit out of me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I love IT Crowd. I worked in IT, I could identify.

I don't like Big Bang Theory. I'm a geek, I can't identify.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    hey hey hey, everyone loves the IT crowd, I dont think its a problem that the 'geeks' in BBT are stereotypes, its just that their not funny