Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I like Big Bang Theory and don't like the IT Crowd. I'm a geek and work in IT. Have I reinstalled my brain incorrectly?

Quote Originally Posted by endintears View Post
    I like watching medical dramas which I'm sure are completely unrealistic. Fortunately I'm not a medical doctor so this doesn't irritate the shit out of me.
    Heh, I come from a family of doctors and they *hate* basically every medical show out there. More than I dislike Big Bang Theory by far.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    When you start a sitcom yes maybe the characters are stereotypes, that can work definitely, but as a sitcom goes on you get more and more of a feel with the character, you get more into it because you like the characters. Big Bang Theory has none of that, they started as streotypes and they have stayed streotypes!

If you want a geek chaaracter done right look at Abed. In fact I think Abed is probably one of the most interesting characters on television, since he's a geek, he has aspergers or at least some kind of autism, he is a very likeble character. Thats how ou do an interesting character in a sitcom.

Or maybe its just I've gone off "multi camera sitcoms"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by redox View Post
    It's clearly made by people who aren't space marines and have their own (incorrect) opinions about how a space marine behaves. For this reason I find it completely unplayable.
    If I was a Space Marine, I probably would :D

I haven't started watching BBT yet but from what I've read the problem is that it gets it wrong. It's more like when us, as gamers, see one of those ridiculous fear-mongering stories in the press that are inaccurate and based off a false understanding of what gaming is. We know it's wrong, and it irritates us. But to people that don't play, it's news.

As has been said, Abed in Community is a geek stereotype but done right. That's the thing about stereotypes, by nature they are very broad: the stereotypical image of a geek and the reality of a geek are not hugely different. Broadly, looking in from the outside, they appear the same. The problem is, when you make a show for 20 episodes you can't leave characters as stereotypes. You get to know them more closely. And that's where you can falter. Because you either find out the truth behind the stereotype, or you try and derive it from what you know.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    I dislike The Big Bang Theory. I don't find it particularly funny, which, for a comedy programme is a problem. But more of a problem is that the audience seems to find it impossibly funny. The constant laughter makes me furious - often, as in the Windows 7 video above, they start laughing before the punchline. WHY? I much prefer shows that don't have laugh tracks - being told "THAT WAS A JOKE YOU SHOULD LAUGH NOW" kills most of the humour from a situation.

I enjoy big bang theory, the laugh tracks are horrible. It irritates me when I think of smarter jokes than the ones that get made. And Sheldon and Sheldon/Penny interactions are the show.
    Last edited by imirk; 29-09-2011 at 06:43 PM.
    Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Big Bang Theory is OK (didn't watch it regularly suspect if I had I would have tired of it) but I much prefer the IT Crowd.

Oh and as for medical programmes, one of my friends studying medicine once said that he thought Green Wing best conveyed the atmosphere of working in a hospital. This scared the shit out of me, I'm definitely endeavouring to stay away from hospitals!

Network Hub Capt. Eduardo del Mango's Avatar
    Not that I watch much TV, but the little bits of 'Big Bang Theory' I've seen just struck me as a collection of cack and predictable (and, therefore, not funny) stereotypes. Also, making fun of nerds? Not that I think there's anything fundamentally wrong with that, but - especially when you've made them such clichés - are just about as easy easy a target as it's possible to get.

But, yeah, I don't watch much telly - something has to have a pretty good hook for me not to just be grumpy and ignore it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I tried to like it after Walker recommended it somewhere, but had to turn it off after about five minutes. I've since concluded that Walker's TV recommendations are BAD and NOT RECOMMENDED.
    He's right about Misfits, though. I started watching it the other night and had to force myself to stop so I'd enjoy the last few episodes for longer.

Quote Originally Posted by westyfield View Post
    I dislike The Big Bang Theory. I don't find it particularly funny, which, for a comedy programme is a problem. But more of a problem is that the audience seems to find it impossibly funny. The constant laughter makes me furious - often, as in the Windows 7 video above, they start laughing before the punchline. WHY? I much prefer shows that don't have laugh tracks - being told "THAT WAS A JOKE YOU SHOULD LAUGH NOW" kills most of the humour from a situation.
    Distressingly, this is true of Father Ted as well, I noticed while watching them again recently. The laughter track is quite obnoxious and kills some of the subtler funny moments. I can imagine someone recently excavated from a cave seeing it for the first time and being put off by it.

Activated Node
    Scrubs was pretty realistic, as far as medical procedures go.