Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Buying a new console?

So my summer holiday plans fell through leaving me with money I didn't expect to have... wondering whether to blow it on a new console. This is the point in time where I would normally think about doing that (one year into the release cycle) but at the moment I'm not convinced.

Options:

Xbox One: nope

Wii U: I figured I'd get one of these once the decent games came out for it, but is there really as little as there looks? New 3D Mario game, and a remastered Zelda? That seems to be about it. No Xenoblade-esque RPGs I guess? And price-wise it's not much cheaper than a...

PS4: The most likely option. I've had a PS Plus account for a year or so, so already have some games, plus recently got a Vita, but again in terms of console exclusives, is there much worth playing? Honestly this was nearly a shoe-in until the new MGS games got confirmed for PC. But again, pickings seem fairly slim. Then there's the wild card option...

Oculus Rift dev kit 2: tempted by this as it looks like a fun toy, anyone get one? Can you actually play much on it? My first concern is that the new one really needing 75fps solid framerate to be useable without illness... not sure my 7950 is up to the job.

Any thoughts?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Seems you are aiming for exclusives and titles you can not find on PC.

The Mario Kart 8 bundle was great value, putting the cost of the hardware down to $200-$240 (2 games + accessories). That has come and gone tho. Expect new bundles for the holiday season.

Wii U Now
    No-TV Mode for all games. Handy feature to free up the TV and game around the house.
    Mario 3D World
    New Mario Bros U
    Mario Kart 8
    Nintendo Land (some fun party games in here, single player not as fun unless competing)
    Rayman Legends (best version of it)
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
    Pikmin 3
    Wonderful 101
    Windwaker HD
    ZombiiU (good for the price you can find it for)
    eShop - Pushmo World, Scram Kitty
    Virtual Console titles

Wii U Soon
    Bayonetta 2 (+1)
    Smash
    Captain Toad
    Hyrule Warriors
    Swords & Soldiers 2
    Sonic (Hard to say if it will be good)

Wii U Future
    Kirby
    Yoshi Woolly World
    Mario Maker
    Mario Party 10
    Mario vs Donkey Kong
    Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem
    Xenoblade
    Fatal Frame 5
    Splatoon
    Zelda
    Hex Heroes (coming to PC also, but could be fun with the GamePad)

PS4 Now
    The Last of Us
    Infamous
    Resogun

PS4 fall
    Destiny
    Driveclub
    Loads of indie games, most will be on PC also.
    LittleBigPlanet 3 (on Vita also)
    Random sports games that do not come to PC anymore

PS4 2015
    Loads of indie games, most will be on PC also.
    Until Dawn
    The Order (early 2015)
    Bloodbourne (New Dark/Demon Souls rpg, early 2015)
    Uncharted 4
    Wild - from Rayman/Beyond Good & Evil creator's new studio
    Alienation (new Resogun, Dead Nation)
    The Tomorrow Children (looking forward to this. Q-Games produce great games and the setting looks fun)
    Tearaway Unfolded (You have a Vita for this anyway)
    Rime
    Silent Hills

Multiplatform freebies from PS+ give the PS4 some good value also. Strider, Don't Starve, Road Not Taken, Merc Kings, etc.

Except the first price drop for One and PS4 in 2015. Look for bundles if looking to get a system. Wii U always has some bundles. PS4 does not have a good deal bundle yet (Destiny White, you still pay $450 in stead of $400).

TLDR -
    Wii U now to have access to the most exclusive and unique games. Look at current and future titles to see if they appeal to your tastes.

PS4 has minimal non-PC titles. Get now for the few titles, Destiny and freebie indies on PS+. Get this holiday when stores will be offering good deals (Bundles, gift cards, etc). Save gift cards for the early 2015 releases. Or wait until mid-fall 2015 when the hardware gets discounted.

Rift looks nice but probably is not worth the money until the consumer version is released. It eventually will be obsolete sooner than later and is dependent on your PC as you mentioned.
    Last edited by Moraven; 15-08-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I guess another option is the 3DS, if you are looking for access to a lot of great titles, and don't mind another mobile console.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I have the One and the PS4.

I like them both, but I'm not using them a lot. There just isn't enough games out for either of them to justify buying. Maybe only if you really want to play Destiny and the Last of Us, and ask yourself, is that really worth it?

Get a new graphics card, Nvidia should announce the 800 series any day now.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Get a DS, play
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (not played Spirit Tracks yet)
    Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
    Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
    Yoshi Touch & Go
    Warioware: Touched (or the more advanced D.I.Y)

A half dozen of titles without needless controls whiney "come back soon" mechanics, but excellent design and perfectly suited to a small format.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    About the Rift, here's Richard Cobbett on the DK2. tl;dr: it's pretty nice, but better to wait for the consumer version because there are still a lot of problems.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    It depends how far ahead you're planning, I suppose. If I were going to buy/could afford a console right now it'd be PS4 without hesitation - Rime, Wild and Bloodborne are the three upcoming exclusives I'm actively jealous of. Sony's backing all of them, IIRC, so we're never getting them on PC. Then there's The Order 1886 (probably a standard 3PS but Christ, it looks gorgeous), Alienation (few people do simple arcade fun as well as Housemarque), Everybody's Gone To The Rapture (not fond of Dear Esther myself but I still want to see Pinchbeck/TCR make a good game), Until Dawn looks interesting, Deep Down might look like a Dark Souls knockoff but Capcom have form with Dragon's Dogma...

You'd be waiting a while until they all turn up but as far as I'm concerned the Xbox doesn't compare. All I was interested in from their lineup was Dead Rising 3 and Below, and now they're both headed to PC. The WiiU has its charms (I miss Bayonetta...) but I don't think I'd ever buy a Nintendo console again without the promise of a steady flow of third-party titles, rather than the odd diamond in the rough.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If you often play with friends - go for WiiU.
    If you play alone/singleplayer only - go for PS4.

Get a DS, play (...) A half dozen of titles
    DS have much, much, much, much more great titles than just "a half dozen".
    And while it's cheap like hell right now buy it too. Or add few bucks and buy 3DS.

Damn, I would gladly buy all these consoles (+ Vita) if I've had enough amount of spare cash. :/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Nice post Moraven, that's a good guide I think.

If you're going to get one console, get a PS4 IMO.

If you're gonna get two consoles, get a PS4 and WiiU.

If you want a handheld and a console, you can't go wrong with PS4 and 3DS/Vita. Both fantastic handhelds. Vita for me personally, plays more games like Spelunky and Hotline Miami along with PS1 classics and sweet sweet Vita titles and Remote Play for PS4 :D

I bought a 64 GB memory card for Vita from a reseller (only available in Japan thr.ough normal retail), has sooooo many games on it right now. At least 40+ installed, and still got like 15 GB free space left.

It's really a perfect handheld for an older mobile gamer because of the types of games in the library. Lots of pick up and go, lots of sweet action games. Very powerful little machine, try to get the original OLED screen version though. New one is cheaper and nice too, but OLED is amaze-balls :D

Jak Collection and Sly Collection are perfect PS2 trilogies for Vita as well, gonna buy them when they come on sale.

The only very sad part is despite the quality of the handheld (dual sticks, OLED on original version, great form factor) is that it's not selling so hot in USA/EU so a lot of games releasing are mostly indie (but good indie) and Japan titles.

But they did release like Borderlands and some other stuff.

3DS is selling much better overall, but I'm personally not that impressed with the library of games. It has some cool games, but I think the Vita has a broader set of titles that's more in the lines of a PC gamer taste IMO. The single stick configuration I'm not a fan of either on 3DS, and the nubbin is just too old school for me.
    Last edited by rockman29; 16-08-2014 at 12:09 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think the Vita has a broader set of titles that's more in the lines of a PC gamer taste IMO
    Not that suprising when almost all Vita games are ports* of PC indies, ehehehe.

No, that's only a joke, but yeah, if you find Japanese games weird then 3DS isn't really for you and you would want to buy Vita instead.

*And there's nothing wrong with it. Proteus port alone is the reason I want to buy Vita. I want all PC indies to be released on this console.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post

No, that's only a joke, but yeah, if you find Japanese games weird then 3DS isn't really for you and you would want to buy Vita instead.
    Hah, I love weird Japanese games which is why I got a Vita- no other way to play Danganronpa 2! Do have a 3DS also... Cheers for the advice all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Get a 3DS over a PSVita, everyone I know has just left their Vita in a drawer and never really touched them much. Except to play the odd indy game that's out on PC or a mobile game port. The 3DS owners really love them and play them all the time.

EDIT: Though Spelunky on PSVita got a lot of love for some reason.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    DS have much, much, much, much more great titles than just "a half dozen".
    Absolutely, I simply meant these were my pick of the bunch which all for what they do better than their peers on ANY system.
    And while it's cheap like hell right now buy it too. Or add few bucks and buy 3DS.
    I'd recommend a 2Ds actually, better battery life and the nausea inducing 3D is absent, also being fix framed means it's harder wearing. I know the 3D was the selling point but hardly any games actually implementated it meaningfully.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I'd like to point out that LittleBigPlanet Karting is coming out for PS4.

It is the spiritual successor to the often overlooked game ModNation Racers which was a PS3 exclusive.

I absolutely LOVED ModNation Racers.

It is basically a Mario Kart knockoff with an excellent custom content suite. You could make tracks, karts, and characters that looked however you wanted, especially the characters. All of these you could share on the internet and people would download and rate them. Of course you could find anything on the sharing site from Boba Fett to Hello Kitty not to mention there were numerous excellent user made tracks. I wouldn't be surprised if the stock maps could be recreated in the track editor.

They are changing the brand name from ModNation to LittleBigPlanet purely for marketing reasons. Although it is a little disappointing that all the characters are going to look kind of like little sackboys now, this is a minor issue .

The true appeal of the game is of course the gameplay. Most people I've gotten to play the original game with me have begrudgingly agreed that it is a better game than Mario Kart. If LittleBigPlanet Karting is not much better it would still be worth buying a PS4 almost entirely based on this one game.

(Also NHL 15 looks great)

I didn't really like Modnation Racers, neither LBP Karting. I don't know if it was the PS3 wasn't handling what they were doing well, but for me it just felt kind of stiff compared to playing a Mario Kart game.

But to be fair to it I barely played the game, so my opinion is probably a bit worthless there :P

Also I didn't hear that LBP Karting is coming for PS4. I know LBP3 is PS4/PS3, but I did not hear about Karting.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Get a 3DS over a PSVita, everyone I know has just left their Vita in a drawer and never really touched them much. Except to play the odd indy game that's out on PC or a mobile game port. The 3DS owners really love them and play them all the time.

EDIT: Though Spelunky on PSVita got a lot of love for some reason.
    Completely the opposite from people I talk with. Best handheld system for most of us. Can jump between playing PS4 games to play a huge library of PS1 games to stuff like Gravity Rush and Wipeout and Dragon's Crown and Dead Nation.

Most I know who have a Vita actually play it more than their PS4s. I was doing the same during my Spelunky binge, it plays incredibly well on the Vita. It's just a fantastic system for those type of games like Hotline Miami and Dragon's Crown/Muramasa/etc.

Vita is definitely my favourite handheld ever, it's just a shame it's so ignored by western markets. The Remote Play bonus with PS4 is just icing on the cake too.

Hugely under appreciated system.

*And there's nothing wrong with it. Proteus port alone is the reason I want to buy Vita. I want all PC indies to be released on this console.
    Absolutely.

I don't take it was insulting at all. That's why I love the system. It brings the old of PlayStation with the new of indies on PC, best portable for me because of that.

That is basically the best of the Vita library. There are a few awesome FPS/TPS like Killzone/Uncharted GA on Vita, and Gravity Rush I'm a big fan of, but most of the games I play on the system are PS1 and the indie PC titles. There's just so many damn good ones and they play so well on Vita.

Wipeout on Vita is frigging awesome too. I really, really want Sly/Jak Collection on Vita as well, perfect games for the portable to pick up and play... two trilogies with tons of content, and also perfect 3D platformers for the system. I probably won't be able to wait until they are on sale.... :(

Lol. There's also Ratchet collection but I'm not as much a fan of that series, might get it another time though.

P.S.

Proteus is free this month on PS Plus, just played it for the first time a couple of days ago, very relaxing game :)
    Last edited by rockman29; 16-08-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    Also I didn't hear that LBP Karting is coming for PS4. I know LBP3 is PS4/PS3, but I did not hear about Karting.
    It seems you are right, I thought I read somewhere on the interwebs that it was coming out for PS4 but of course now I cannot find this mysterious article.

Shucks... Maybe I'll write a letter, ModNation Racers 2 please.

As for your distaste for the first ModNation Racers, well I'd recommend giving it another shot but obviously it is kind of old now and not really a critical thing you must do for safety or happiness, though it can't hurt. I thought the drifting mechanics were super fun.

EDIT: Maybe it's almost old enough to emulate =P
    Last edited by seshFriend; 16-08-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Activated Node
    I enjoyed Little Big Planet Karting better than Mario Kart Wii, which surprisingly bored me. Havent tried Mario Kart 8 tho.

Network Hub
    I don't know if streaming is important to you at all, but if it is I can vouch for the PS4 as the best streaming device I've ever used. I've been watching Netflix on one hooked up to an OLED TV and the picture quality is just fantastic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Just for some contrast, the only Vita game I would even consider buying the system for is Gravity Rush. Nothing else interests me enough to count as any kind of killer app. There's a few 3DS titles that have caught my eye, but I could never go back to buying cartridges again, and at this point I'm pretty much firmly established as an iOS convert, I guess. My iPod is my second favourite gaming system of everything I've ever owned or played on in thirty years or so (PS2 still being #1).
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by cranberry View Post
    I don't know if streaming is important to you at all, but if it is I can vouch for the PS4 as the best streaming device I've ever used. I've been watching Netflix on one hooked up to an OLED TV and the picture quality is just fantastic.
    The UI for some reason is much more attractive than other versions of Netflix also lol.

PS3 was the most used console for Netflix streaming in the past I think as well.