Activated Node

Help me find games about the Ottoman Empire.

I'm reading an interesting book on the Ottoman Empire (Hanioglu's A Brief History of the Ottoman Empire), and it got me in the mood to play something with the Ottomans in it. Cue Empire: Total War, which I rather enjoyed a while ago. . .

. . . But of course past-me was a callow fool. Can anyone help me find good games featuring the Ottomans? I'd prefer strategy games, but anything suitably Ottomany would surely please me.

Network Hub
    Europa Universalis IV is a pretty good game (and my standards are sometimes unrealistically high) , and the Ottomans are a more than valid choice for play.

Network Hub
    The Ottomans are a real power for virtually all of Europa Universallis IV, and you can also play them in their nascent state in the later dates of Crusader Kings II(also by paradox.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Assassins Creed: Revelations is set in a beautiful simulacrum of Constantinople. It might not be historically accurate, but it's got flava!
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

A good answer is Assassin's Creed: revelations which plays in its entirety in Istanbul (not Constantinople) around 1500 and you get to meet some important personalities of that time. It's the conclusion of the internal Ezio trilogy (AC2, Brotherhood, Revelations) so you kinda need to be familiar with those for it to make proper sense.
    New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    I agree with all previous posters (especially EU IV), although

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    A good answer is Assassin's Creed: revelations which plays in its entirety in Istanbul (not Constantinople)
    That's not entirely true, is it? IIRC, the city's name wasn't officially changed until after the fall of the Ottoman Empire. Of course, that doesn't mean that most Turks didn't call it Istanbul, but saying that it took place in Istanbul, but not Constantinople seems a bit wonky to me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Paradox games are more or less your only choice, as far as I'm aware. Europa Universalis if you want the Ottomans in their heyday. March of the Eagles if you fancy being "the sick man of Europe", though it's primarily a multiplayer game. The Victoria games presumably feature them in the post-Napoleonic period also, but I never got into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    I agree with all previous posters (especially EU IV), although

That's not entirely true, is it? IIRC, the city's name wasn't officially changed until after the fall of the Ottoman Empire. Of course, that doesn't mean that most Turks didn't call it Istanbul, but saying that it took place in Istanbul, but not Constantinople seems a bit wonky to me.
    Oh, I was just being cheeky. You know the song and all.
    New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Actually, if you want a game with a more historical Ottoman Empire, you should play Europa Universalis II, not IV. And if you're going to play EUII, play For the Glory, which is an official, enhanced version.

The main difference between EUII and IV (other than graphics and interface, of course) is that EUII is much more deterministic, and EUIV is much more open and gamey. EUII also gives you the real dynasties/sultans, while in EUIV they soon become fantasy leaders. In EUII, if you play, say, Hungary, you almost certainly will get split between Austria and the Ottomans, for instance. Playing the Ottomans in EUII is a lot of fun, since whenever a major sultan ascends to the throne you get an event which tells you their most important conquests and sort of lets you try to recreate them.

Incidentally, FtG is 75% off this week.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The Cossacks series of RTS games. From the developers of Stalker. Their scale and depth are amazing even today.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Ah. I didn't know that's what they sing, but I realize which song you mean. Sorry about my little pedantic historical trivia.

I was going to also reply with "EU4", there's even some added Muslim DLC in it.

Curiously, I was just thinking of playing the Ottomans in the game this week, after having read Constantinople 1453. In fact, the game has a set time zone at 1453, perfect!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Fun fact, I always thought the name "Istanbul" was some kind of <insert racist adjectives> Turkish word as opposed to the glorious imperial lingo. It actually is derived from the phrase "to the city" in medieval greek, lol.