Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node

Minecraft - What Mods do You Use?

For some reason I have just delved into the mostly wonderful world of Minecraft mods. However, I feel as if I am missing something. I mostly play for the exploration and discovery, but I enjoy the moderate risks of survival mode. First person LEGO building doesnt really do it for me, personally.

I have found a few mods that enhance exploration somewhat. These include:

-Battle Towers
    -Ruins
    -Lucky Blocks
    -Treecapitator
    -Useful Villagers

Now that I am enjoying myself I was wondering: What mods do others use in their Minecraft worlds?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm hosting a small Minecraft server with less than a dozen people on and we're generally using a Feed the Beast pack (direwolf20 right now) with some small additions. The mod pack's mostly focused on building up rather than exploring however, with a lot of tech mods (which give you machines to process ores and automate stuff) and magic mods. The risk comes in some options being more dangerous, like nukes or summoning dangerous creatures, rather than from the naturally occurring mobs.

Right now, I'm only using OptiFine and a texture pack. I still want to give the CityWorlds mod a try, and I need to look into the mod pack that RPS featured on the main page a couple of weeks ago.

Edit: By the way, if anyone knows a good mod that adds airplanes to Minecraft (preferably to the latest MC version), please let me know. I already made a thread about this in the Minecraft forum, but I only got one reply there. Thanks!
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I really like the Resonant Rise pack – there's tons of variety and exploration. Really pretty much limitless.

http://www.resonant-rise.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Thanks for the info. Been enjoying Minecraft so far and cant wait to try out more mods.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Seems like a good place to ask for suggestions. I've played Minecraft with a friend a bit. We like the early exploration, but tend to build a basic house, farm and do some mining then get bored. We're more interested in exploring and taming the world than crazy building projects.

Main problems with Minecraft are firstly that the world is so sparsely populated. You can spend hours wandering and find nothing other than empty terrain and monsters. There are occasional locations of interest but they seem so rare. I'm sure there are mods that fix this, any suggestions?

Secondly, and I'm not sure if mods can do much about this, but are there any mods that make the world more consistent? I don't like Minecraft's patchwork system of world generation, is it possible to generate worlds that would be more real-world plausible? Either that or hand-crafted maps for exploration.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    You can't really generate plausible worlds that are also infinite. Where's the north pole? Where's the equator?

Minecraft itself has gotten better with the latest versions at not spawning, say, desert next to a snow biome, but that's pretty much as good as it's gonna get. You can explore mods like Biome 'o Plenty to add more variety, and I think ATG changes how the biomes are laid out but it's a bit buggy.

As for emptiness, I recall watching a series in the Hexxit mod pack which had an awful lot of structures and random spawns added. I think most of the mods carried through in Resonant Rise (which Smashbox linked to earlier), and a few into the mainstream FTB packs. You get stuff like castles full of mobs, towers with a boss at the top, goblin and dwarf lairs, etc. There's also the fairly ubiquitous Twilight Forest, which is in every modpack out there, that adds a new dimension full of fun stuff like hollow hills, minotaur mazes, hedge mazes, etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Main problems with Minecraft are firstly that the world is so sparsely populated. You can spend hours wandering and find nothing other than empty terrain and monsters. There are occasional locations of interest but they seem so rare. I'm sure there are mods that fix this, any suggestions?
    The Biomes O' Plenty mod adds some much needed variety to the game world, making exploration more rewarding.

The real joy of the game for me comes in making interesting buildings, exploring the myriad tech trees of various mods, and coming up with ingenious ways to combine mods' features to create interesting automation or interactions.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFire View Post
    You can't really generate plausible worlds that are also infinite. Where's the north pole? Where's the equator?
    I know. Unfortunately Minecraft doesn't gain anything from being infinite for my purposes, but hoping for DF-style worldgen is wishful thinking. I was just curious as to whether there's anything that does a better job than the default system. While it can produce some nice areas it does tend to jump from one extreme to the other very fast - huge narrow mountains, giant overhangs, jagged coastlines and rivers that don't go anywhere.

I'll check out Resonant Rise sometime, though their site does a poor job of explaining what it actually does.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yeaaaaah... Their site isn't the best, but the gist of it is that it pretty much does everything. Whereas FTB are what I'd call more curated (still well over a hundred mods, but hey), RR is more of a kitchen sink approach. The mods won't necessarily be balanced, some will be outright overpowered (which means you need a bit of self-control to avoid spoiling everything for yourself and whoever plays with you), but there's an extremely wide selection of stuff to do. Stuff being <insert what you prefer>.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I used that Technic thing, it added a lot of stuff but all I really wanted was the computer thing (there were some tutorials about how to use it here a while back). I wonder if there are any that add more compact redstone circuits. Also now that I know about digital logic and memory I should probably revisit that redstone stuff.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    RedPower 2 used to have a bunch of that stuff, including a lot of compact redstone devices that could be stuck on walls and ceilings, redstone wires which are better than dust in every way, and an entire computer system programmed in FORTH (don't ask me why). Unfortunately the mod's pretty much dead in the water. Fortunately all but the computer stuff's been rebuilt by ProjectRed.

For computers, the closest thing available right now is ComputerCraft, which has stationary computers and "turtles", which can move around and interact with the world in various ways. Programming is done in Lua, which is much more approachable, but the in-game UI sucks (thankfully it supports loading code from pastebin if you set the config to allow http access).

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    I know. Unfortunately Minecraft doesn't gain anything from being infinite for my purposes, but hoping for DF-style worldgen is wishful thinking. I was just curious as to whether there's anything that does a better job than the default system. While it can produce some nice areas it does tend to jump from one extreme to the other very fast - huge narrow mountains, giant overhangs, jagged coastlines and rivers that don't go anywhere.

I'll check out Resonant Rise sometime, though their site does a poor job of explaining what it actually does.
    I agree with you that the infinity of the worlds doesn't add all that much when you play the game. The idea is fantastic, but I'd rather have that the vanilla game featured more landmarks within the part of the world that you actually see.

Network Hub
    For me back when I played it a lot (and my god I played it a lot) that infiniteness of the worlds, the exploring and finding new and exciting landscapes, that was a big part of it. I recently tried it again and found the landcapes a bit less inspiring to be honest, and can't help but wonder if something has been lost. Building is still awesome fun of course.

PS Treecapitator looks useful. A definite time saver!
    Last edited by hariseldon; 21-08-2014 at 10:08 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    I really like the Resonant Rise pack – there's tons of variety and exploration. Really pretty much limitless.

http://www.resonant-rise.com/

I installed this last night and have found that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing anymore. Though I did find a giant redwood that goes to the clouds next to a volcano so I've built a treehouse.

But all the extra automation and crafting stuff is overwhelming.

Is there anything a bit more curated with a good wiki? I really liked the idea of new farming and trains for some reason along with the extra biomes. I may just perserverse, but having 15 tabs open for each different mod is annoying.
    Last edited by Zephro; 21-08-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Airship mod, floating Islands. Done. I think I need to add a mod where starving is more of an issue.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Is there anything a bit more curated with a good wiki? I really liked the idea of new farming and trains for some reason along with the extra biomes. I may just perserverse, but having 15 tabs open for each different mod is annoying.
    Agrarian Skies is probably your best bet for that. It's a skyblock map with a quest book to give you some direction through its mods.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I like the idea of finite Minecraft worlds, especially if you could wander away from point A in straight line and end up in exactly same place. I like just building stuff in creative mode and it would be nice to build whole small "planet".

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Airship mod, floating Islands. Done. I think I need to add a mod where starving is more of an issue.
    Sorry to bother you, but what mods do you use exactly? Are they actually called "Airship mod" and "floating islands"?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    My version is probably horribly out of date because I've honestly not looked at its name for ages. The airship mod is "Archimede' Ships", I am not at my pc for the islands setting/mod.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/