Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Are there any good mods that get the NPCs building? I really want to build a village/town with NPCs going about their business, but not sure if there is anything good out there that can do that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Another cool airship mod: Metaworlds

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums...-worlds-around

I found Archimedes ships a little buggy.

Mo Creatures, all day long. I love that it has multiplayer support.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Had a quick look at Resonant Rise, it's a bit overwhelming. Really looking for something that changes the basic Minecraft gameplay rather than taking the "same but more" approach.

Installed the Explorer's Modpack and ran around for 5 minutes, it looks promising.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    I've been playing Crash Landing recently, which is a very well-made modded survival map on the Feed the Beast launcher (under 3rd party modpacks).

You start off in a crashed space ship with only a handful of supplies on a planet entirely made of dust and you have to pay attention to hunger, thirst, and body temperature as you advance through the tech tree and the quest book. The mod list is fairly small, but each of the mods is tightly integrated through custom recipes that build upon each other, which is a rare sight. Mobs are tough and much more varied than in vanilla and going outside at night is suicide, so you get into a routine of building defenses, collecting dust, farming, and eventually exploring ruins in the daytime, sifting dust and crafting at night, and collecting mob drops in the morning.

It's very hard (and intended to be played on hardcore), but if you die it's usually from a bad decision in the moment (typically involving mobs) rather than from something minor hours ago you didn't pay attention to. I've a lost couple of hours of progress already from stupid deaths, but I still keep coming back because it's so compelling.

I can't recommend this map enough, especially for people who fell asleep halfway through the pointless grindy quests of Agrarian Skies looking for something more exciting, but keep in mind you might have trouble if you're completely unfamiliar with the mods used.

If you decide to try out the map for yourself, make sure to enter /gamerule mobGriefing false into the console at the start, it's better that way.

Now I haven't played Minecraft for quite some time and haven't played it with Mods for ages(Unless you take Multiplayer Plugins as mods, which I really wouldn't), but I have to mention ICē. Great Mod. Add Electrical Energy and stuff like new ores and a bunch of machines and generators and such revolving around it. Used to be quite popular, but that was pretty long ago. And the textures just looks like they were actually made for Minecraft; and blend in with the default textures really well, better than some of the textures they made for stuff in som recent updates.

Then there's Gregtech, an Mod for ICē, the Mod. Gregtech has loads of new content(Most of which I honestly haven't really played myself) and is really unpopular because nowadays Minecraft is only played by kiddies with a bunch of time who want to have everything avaible 5 minutes into the game. Long story short, Gregtech is pretty hard(You say that if you like it) or really tedious(That's what you say if you don't like it) and has loads and loads and loads of awesome content. I am, for that matter, not sure if it is still even requiring ICē, stuff is changing and I am not staying tuned for those changes. Anyway, back to what I wrote, Gregtech has loads and loads of content(Most of it Hightech Stuff like Fusion Reactors or Stargates(Soon(TM)) but some simple stuff like mortar are there too) and is pretty great unless you don't like it like the rest of the internet. And you don't want to be like the rest of the internet, do you?

There are also some other mods I liked really much, but as I wrote, haven't really been into Minecraft mods for ages, but Railcraft also comes into mind as an awesome mod.

Ohh, and my avatar pic is a Nanosaber from ICē.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I think IC2 has been largely supplanted by some competing mods ... Mekanism and Thermal Expansion are the best at that kind of thing, at least in my opinion, nowadays

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yeah, IC2's kinda gotten stuck in place at some point and stopped evolving while other mods kept going. TE is a much more interesting and balanced mod for doing the same thing, without the annoyances of IC2 and especially GregTech. One of the worst mods I've ever seen, that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thermal Expansion/ComputerCraft(+ Openperipheral)/BigReactors/AppliedEnergisitcs/MineFactory/Tinker's Construct for massivley auotmated goodness. Add in some fun exploration mods to give something to do - like Twilight forest etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Airship mod, floating Islands. Done. I think I need to add a mod where starving is more of an issue.
    There's a hunger overhaul mod included in the Life in the Woods pack that also adds injury-related debuffs, which cause you to be slower and less effective the lower your health gets. I liked that part of the mod but the hunger-related part was far too unforgiving for my taste. Aspects of the mod are configurable but my attempts to edit it with a regular text editor were fruitless, so I just disabled it.

There's a massive update coming to Minecraft on September 2, is anyone considering abandoning their modded worlds to check it out? Sheep actually drop meat now, every wood type has it's own fence and door, and lots of other things.