Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Puppygames rant

From my experience with revenge of the titans and the comments in this thread, it seems that the problem of puppygames isn't bargains, nor market dynamics.

And from the consumer point of view, I'm going to spend the same amount of money in a good game or in various average (or unknown) games. The problem its not quantity, you have as much as you'll want in GOG and, before, in Home of the Underdogs and such, the problem is with quality (and innovation) and with awareness.

As a developer, if you want to heal the market, and return to the old days of 2008, stop making games (you'll prove the worthlessness of consumers all right) or, at least, stop making the same game over and over. With less competition it would be easy to spread the money you think you are entitled to.

If a game is worth it people are as eager to buy it now than when Minecraft was out, the problem is that nothing today is as fresh or outstanding. In part because the bar has been raised.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    When I look at Puppygames, well games, the issue I have with them is that I see decade old games with a fresh new coat. That new coat is looking quite smooth but at heart, they're the same games I burned out on during the times of the C64 (or Starcraft, when it comes to TD).

What they've added from there is just a persistent upgrade system and that really seems to be their whole stick. Pick classic game, apply trademark graphics style, add upgrade system, ship game. There's a myriad of these games out for free on various flash portals. I'm sorry but who exactly do they consider their audience here?

From an outside view it also seems that they come up with controversy whenever there's some big news from their studio. Like when they put their new game into a bundle before it was released or the time when they'd start a public shitflinging contest with another Indie Dev over Clone Allegations (http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=5609.0). And now this rant, really makes me wonder if this isn't just their stick, their spiel. Since their games lack originality, they do seem to want to spark interest with drama and attacking as many people as possible, before pedalling back with a smug (paraphrased) "My glorious mastermind has played you like Puppets, for publicity!".

At the end of the day really, their games are slick and smooth and certainly well executed. Respect for that. But they're near impossible to sell in an industry that has seen several thousand of those already, in all kinds of variations and similar quality and most of them for free on various flashsites. Blaming Steam for some race to the bottom might apply in other scenarios, but in this case... the race to bottom for Arcade Game Clones had been finished at $0 several years before Steam got big.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by theForged View Post
    And now this rant, really makes me wonder if this isn't just their stick, their spiel. Since their games lack originality, they do seem to want to spark interest with drama and attacking as many people as possible, before pedalling back with a smug (paraphrased) "My glorious mastermind has played you like Puppets, for publicity!".
    Their blog article flat out said that they believed that there was no such thing as bad publicity, and praised how Phil Fish's antics made him a successful figure.

The most recent public ranting has spread the name Puppygames more than any normal release notice would manage, and not all of it has been to a negative response. They've received a decent amount of praise for "daring" to "say what others won't say", even though they largely said what people had already been saying for years, just with a somewhat more insulting and entitled tone. (As trjp said earlier, people crave other people agreeing with them.)

The sheer drunken rant nature of it all this time seems to indicate it is manufactured, or that at least one member of Puppygames is in need of serious help. (Preaching doom and gloom for the industry, then bragging about making $1.5 million and being successful. Saying that they can manage their money while saying that they blew their money. Upset that people don't think much of their games, then saying that he doesn't think their games are good. Etc.)

Puppygames got its attention spike. While they might have lost a few customers, they probably gained more. It probably did work as a strategy for them, and they'll probably do something again in the future.

Probably worth mentioning again at this point that they have 50k banked to be going on with and 4 games still making money on Steam.

The race to the bottom may be a little overstated here.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Leaving aside the rather unimpressive analysis of the internet mob, its alleged taboos, and the benefits of participating in this often mocked 'sub-culture', there seems to be little wrong with the author pointing out that he is using a business model which makes it impossible for him to offer customer service. That's fair enough as long as he's upfront about this. People can then factor that into their purchasing decision.

The 'race to the bottom' story is one that applies to a certain part of the gaming market, but one doesn't have to look far outside the umpteenth rehash of Super Frog or Space Invaders to notice that there is little racing going on in many other parts of the gaming world. The self-pity in which the creators of these sorts of games wallow is getting rather tiresome; it's no wonder they feel the need to resort to creating drama to garner attention for Mario Remake #83.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Leaving aside the rather unimpressive analysis of the internet mob, its alleged taboos, and the benefits of participating in this often mocked 'sub-culture', .
    That was the bit that rang truest for me.

Just watch.

I honestly, genuinely believe that in some ways, video games have had an adverse affect not only on my life, but my very brain chemistry.