Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Elementalist class thread

Since it was requested in another thread, also because I'm going to play one and might want to talk a little bit about this class for myself.

So, if you have something of elementary importance to discuss (does this count as a pun, or was it just stupid? I can't tell...), feel free to do so here.

You're fired.

Unless you move heaven and earth to impress me

If so it'll just be water under the bridge

But don't you dare put on any airs and graces

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Timofee, stop blowing hot air on these grounds, these are deep waters and no place for such unattuned puns!

Well, this thread certainly caught fire.

Activated Node
    I think the thread should stay more grounded. We wouldn't want a meteoric pun thread now?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Somewhat on-topic, I like how a lot of the utility skills are just more attack spells.

The Arcane blasts/etc are useful combo finishers, and Signet of Storms is really cool.

Whoop! Thanks MOKKA

So what are you lovely people planning on going for a build? I was thinking of some kind of Scepter/Dagger - Earth/Water build to combine conditional damage and auras for my allies for use in sPvP and WvW.

I've just noticed this post is lacking a pun... erm... I have nothing. I feel like Sterling Archer right now

Activated Node
    I like how this thread is the home to my first ever intentional pun anywhere, probably means I'm should make my good old elementalist pyromaniac come back from the guild wars 1!

I have something like this in mind for a build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fEEQ...MKwhkRFUUZMzOA (sorry for the clumsy link, I'm too stupid for all this advanced Internet-stuff, like shortening links by myself and such...)

It's just something I came up with when I was bored a few weeks ago. The focus is on critical hits, conditions and boons. I have no Idea if this is the build I'm going to role with in the end, in fact I'm pretty sure it's not. But I see it as a nice base for further iterations.
    Right now I think I'm going to roll with a staff-centric build, mostly because of the emotional attachement I have towards this weapon. I mostly used a staff in GW1, even if it wasn't considered the most efficient piece of equipment for certain builds. Besides, Mages use staffs, not daggers.

What I can tell from my dabblings during the last two stress tests is that I think the staff is mostly an indirect weapon. Many skills have target areas and you have a bunch of skils that can either generate, or finish Combo-fields. With a bit of intelligence from the players side, it's also quite easy to generate and finish your own Combo-fields, which is especially nice when you venture out on your own. I also like the general amount of flexibility you get with this class, just like with the Elementalist in GW1.

Of course, these are just the resutls of my somewhat erratic mind, so I'm pretty sure there are already some experts out there who are eager to tell me that I'm an Idiot.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    What's the build for, PvE, sPvP, etc.?

Certainly for PvP I prefer more of the utility spells, teleports and things.

But it does look like fun and I was keen on the staff for my elementalist :3

I like the build idea! The combination of a conditions, crits and buckets of AoE is intriguing

If you don't mind me poking holes in it, here's my input:

I'm not sure the 10 points in Earth Magic are worth it, though - especially when you are 5 points away from two more major traits elsewhere. Instead I would grab "Arcane Energy" (+25% endurance when you use a glyph or arcane skill) from the Arcane Power path, then maybe "Bolt to the Heart" (+20% damage if foe has less than 25% health remaining) from Air Magic too - especially if that affects condition damage (I don't know).

With so many fields but combo finishers only in Earth Attunement, I would be tempted to swap the Signet of Storms skill for Arcane Wave to gain a blast finisher. In which case, the major grandmaster trait "Elemental Surge" (adds conditions based on attunement to Arcane attacks) might replace "Arcane Energy" above.

Arcane Power is a good skill to have too, although you can also fit that in as a major trait ("Arcane Retribution" - Cast Arcane Power at 75% health). I would probably swap out "Elemental Attunement" for that.

---

I'll leave it there as I've already retyped this post 3 or 4 times because I keep getting new ideas. I love the elementalist traits, there's so many things you can do!

Thanks for sharing your build!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Whoop! Thanks MOKKA

So what are you lovely people planning on going for a build? I was thinking of some kind of Scepter/Dagger - Earth/Water build to combine conditional damage and auras for my allies for use in sPvP and WvW.

I've just noticed this post is lacking a pun... erm... I have nothing. I feel like Sterling Archer right now
    Not really tried Scepter/ dagger but at the moment I can't look beyond dagger / dagger for me - its just so fun.

Ride the lightning is really satisfying and useful while all the flame skills are outstanding

Will use Staff for chucking AoEs off the ramparts in WvW

I love the dagger but purely for aesthetic reasons - they gave me a goddamn lightning whip!! A lightning whip! I feel like Indiana Jones with my finger stuck in a socket.

I'll preface this by saying I'm personally not a fan of the Glyphs (storms is good but I'm not convinced about the others), I also dont think there's enough glyph buffs in the traits to support an out and out glyph build. However... trying to keep in mind that that is what you want I'd suggest the following considerations

As Screwie says, I think the Earth trait points are wasted, particularly since you have hardly any bleeds unless you're planning on sitting in Earth the whole time.

The other thing to remember is that the 30 point skills are designed to be considerably better than the earlier tiers so by not picking up at least one you're probably hurting your potential.

You also have quite a bit of trait points tied up in getting critical hits which unless you're going to stack stats I don't see you have that good a crit chance.

...actually, I take it back - I cant make that build work in a way that I personally would be happy to play ;P

Here's what I'm thinking:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fEAQ...EwQCiCXUeEDN1A

Its a general bumbling around the world in a group for PvE and doing a spot of WvW build.

Basically entering combat and out of combat I'm in air. I use ride the lightning to get in then switch to fire.

Arcane spells give me a great instant cast AoE and some nice crits for finishing people off.

Not quite sure how all the movement speed buffs with interact but its possible I'd switch out the arcane dagger one to get the endurance boost instead
    Last edited by Timofee; 22-08-2012 at 01:52 PM.

I was going to roll a Sylvari Elementalist but now it looks like everyone is doing the same thing. Grumble grumble. I know this doesn't mean I can't but hell, I had assumed it wouldn't be too popular.

Second choice is Mesmer I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    Not really tried Scepter/ dagger but at the moment I can't look beyond dagger / dagger for me - its just so fun.

Ride the lightning is really satisfying and useful while all the flame skills are outstanding

Will use Staff for chucking AoEs off the ramparts in WvW
    Yeah, Ride the Lightning is brilliant. I'll be using that a lot in conjunction with Updraft before laying down Signet of Earth for the immobilize and then go mental with a Dragon's Tooth, Fire Grab and Phoenix combo.

When I spec towards damage anyway that is. Here's what I'm currently thinking for a support build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fEQQ...SJDFiohowDlCzA

I tried to make it all about Aura buffing for allies when popping a Signet or Shocking / Frost Aura. Not sure how well it will work though

Quote Originally Posted by Beard Of Bees View Post
    I was going to roll a Sylvari Elementalist but now it looks like everyone is doing the same thing. Grumble grumble. I know this doesn't mean I can't but hell, I had assumed it wouldn't be too popular.

Second choice is Mesmer I suppose.
    If you are concerned about individuality and such things, I will be posting the results of the character survey tonight. You might be surprised!

There was a character survey?

Quote Originally Posted by 20phoenix View Post
    There was a character survey?
    Here - get your vote in today if you want it to be counted :P

Lesser Hivemind Node
    So I've been reading up on the elementalist class a bit, and I've discovered that there are a lot of complaints about the elementalist's overall power compared to its difficulty to play and the number of skills required to achieve the same effect as other classes.

I've only played my elementalist much thus far, so I wondered: does anybody here feel the same?