Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Naughty games for PC

I just finished watching a let's play of the Last of Us and oh boy was that game good, eh? Too bad I don't own consoles. Might buy one if I'd own a TV, but I don't. Are there any similar games on pc really? Third person action adventures that is. Only ones that come to mind are Tomb Raider and Dead Space. Maybe some of the Resident Evils too. Am I missing something?

I'd really love to play tLoU and probably Uncharted series too, but I guess Naughty have sold their souls to Sony with their first deal :(
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Uh, they've been Sony-affiliated for absolutely ages. Where have you been? They're technical experts on Playstation architecture too, IIRC, they get called in to help on other flagship titles. I miss owning TLOU, but let's not get into PC MASTER RACE ranting, eh?

In response to your actual question, I'm not sure... as far as I'm concerned there is no third-person action game with storytelling remotely on a par with TLoU that's multi-platform or PC-exclusive. I'm not seeing any such thing in my Steam library, at least. The ones where I particularly like the stories (Assassin's Creed IV, say) aren't really the same kind of game to play.

EDIT: Kudos on your topic title, by the way. Seriously. It fooled me, at least.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Larry series, hehehehe.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
    Maybe Manhunt? First game was nice if you don't mind some good old ultraviolence.
    Alice: Madness Returns
    This thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Larry series, hehehehe.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
    Maybe Manhunt? First game was nice if you don't mind some good old ultraviolence.
    Alice: Madness Returns
    This thread.
    Going by that thread, is this going to be another series of posts where people just list games with no reason why they're anything like the OP? Manhunt, uh, I suppose it's got third-person stealth and gruesome executions, but the gameplay is pitiful and the story has nothing in common with TLoU at all.

(Oh, and Alice is a mediocre third-person game with gorgeous art, plus Enslaved is a dull third-person brawler with a terrible story, but I'm aware lots of people on this forum don't agree for some reason.)

Brothers is kinda in the same ballpark, mind you. Plays very differently, but a lot of the story is relatively subtle, told through level design and the environment, though it's nothing like as good as TLoU. There's not that much depth there. Still a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    EDIT: Kudos on your topic title, by the way. Seriously. It fooled me, at least.
    :D

Brothers was an ok game, not so much similarities in game play but maybe some in overall tone. Manhunt is too old to be tried, pre-widescreen era games are rarely good experiences. I thought Bioshock Infinite might do but the combat feels so bad I probably won't finish it. Well bought XCOM: B, maybe that'll do for a while.

But yeah, I feel PC lacks adventure games. Or that PC games lack adventure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Going by that thread, is this going to be another series of posts where people just list games with no reason why they're anything like the OP? Manhunt, uh, I suppose it's got third-person stealth and gruesome executions, but the gameplay is pitiful and the story has nothing in common with TLoU at all.

(Oh, and Alice is a mediocre third-person game with gorgeous art, plus Enslaved is a dull third-person brawler with a terrible story, but I'm aware lots of people on this forum don't agree for some reason.)
    Well, jnx mentioned Resident Evil in his post. Manhunt can't really have much worse story than RE. =)

Network Hub
    Just curious, what difficulty was the Let's Play you watched? I only ever completed the game on normal, but apparently the game systems (e.g. different types of infected) are more meaningful at higher levels of play and help ameliorate the feeling that you're basically just watching a film.

I assume it was played on normal, it was PewDiePie's. Also it did very much feel like watching a tv-series :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    Just curious, what difficulty was the Let's Play you watched? I only ever completed the game on normal, but apparently the game systems (e.g. different types of infected) are more meaningful at higher levels of play and help ameliorate the feeling that you're basically just watching a film.
    The Last of Us has fairly standard difficulty levels, IIRC - higher simply means enemies are tougher and do more damage, and supplies are harder to come by.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Alan Wake: The game is set in an idyllic all-American small town and its surroundings in the state of Washington. Alan Wake, the game's protagonist, is a bestselling horror writer, who writes a novel about his darkest nightmares. In the game, those nightmares come true. As with Remedy's previous games, story and atmosphere are fundamental elements.

This is basically the thing you are looking for ---> Its third person,with action gameplay and some horror elements,neat story,and beautiful graphics on pc ;)

Resident Evil 6:With 4 unique, yet overlapping story threads, each with their own pair of protagonists, not only does Resident Evil 6 deliver different perspectives and play styles but, with the introduction of the innovative Crossover mechanic players are be able to team up and share the horror with others. The game takes place over a period of at least six months from December 2012 to June 2013, over fifteen years after the US Government's destruction of Raccoon City, and takes place in various places around the world.

Remember Me: Imagine Neo-Paris, 2084. Personal memories are now digitised, bought, sold and traded like commodities. The last vestiges of privacy and intimacy have been extinguished in what feels like a logical progression of the explosive growth of social networks at the start of the 21st century. The citizens themselves have given in to this surveillance society in exchange for the comfort only smart technology can provide. This memory economy transfers immense power over society to just a small group of people. Remember Me is a third-person action adventure in which players assume the role of Nilin, a former elite memory hunter with the ability to penetrate people’s minds and steal or even alter their memories. The authorities, fearful of her knowledge and skills arrested Nilin and wiped away her memory. After her escape from prison, Nilin embarks on a mission to recover her identity, helped by her last and only friend. This search for her past leads to her being hunted by the very people that created this surveillance society.

Max Payne: For Max Payne, the tragedies that took his loved ones years ago are wounds that refuse to heal. No longer a cop, close to washed up and addicted to pain killers, Max takes a job in São Paulo, Brazil, protecting the family of wealthy real estate mogul Rodrigo Branco, in an effort to finally escape his troubled past. But as events spiral out of his control, Max Payne finds himself alone on the streets of an unfamiliar city, desperately searching for the truth and fighting for a way out. Featuring cutting edge shooting mechanics for precision gunplay, advanced new Bullet Time and Shootdodge effects, full integration of Natural Motion's Euphoria Character Behavior system for lifelike movement and a dark and twisted story, Max Payne 3 is a seamless, highly detailed, cinematic experience from Rockstar Games.

Otherwise whole Assassin Creed's Ezio's storyline though three games is worth checking out,stellar graphics on pc,fun gameplay and good story.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Mafia I & II

Other than the first max payne I only got wip games.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=piesjsHf4sU

It has a KF mod too.
    Last edited by Wenz; 25-08-2014 at 07:05 PM.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'd agree on Remember Me: it's nothing like as polished as a Naughty Dog game, but it is one of the more visually and artistically impressive titles out there and it does have a fairly good story. Very, very simplistic, though, the gameplay systems and the story don't mesh particularly well, and a lot of the story is rambling nonsense that doesn't go anywhere.

Alan Wake isn't a bad choice either; technically it's showing its age by now (it's very obvious it was a 360 game in the first place) and the story doesn't make a whole lot of sense but it's pretty atmospheric - really atmospheric in a lot of places, the combat's fun, and while it's kinda empty and dumb at times it's still quite an experience. I knew it was mostly nonsense but it still got me to care, and it's surprisingly creepy if you're in the right mood. The effects when the Taken turn up still freak me out no end.

Max Payne 3 is reaching - it's not much like TLoU. It looks fantastic and it's heavy on the pathos but no matter how upset Max gets the game doesn't really care that you're shotting hundreds upon hundreds of mans and killing people in increasingly nasty ways. The combat in TLoU made me feel physically sick, strung out and shaking with tension from start to finish. Max Payne 3 was more just "Ewww".

Much as I love Resident Evil 6 it's absolutely nothing like TLoU in any way, shape or form, beyond being a third-person action game.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 25-08-2014 at 06:51 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I would echo DaftPunks Max Payne 3 and Alan Wake. Wake has a great atmosphere and a good story.

Max Payne 3 is a debatable one, some hate it. I really liked it, I loved how cinematic it felt.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    I would echo DaftPunks Max Payne 3 and Alan Wake. Wake has a great atmosphere and a good story.

Max Payne 3 is a debatable one, some hate it. I really liked it, I loved how cinematic it felt.
    I liked Max Payne 3, apart from that insane final boss fight, which I simply couldn't beat. Gave up, never went back.

It just really doesn't have that much in common with The Last of Us. I'm pretty confident Naughty Dog would never make a game like it.

Maybe take a look at Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, I recall it being a semi-decent third person action adventure.

Max Paynes, Alan Wake and Mafias are all excellent pitches and I don't know how I forgot those. Sadly I've played all of them at least once through.

I could tell you to keep an eye on the evil within,rtu, overgrowth etc but then again they are wip and I never played a ND game.
    post in progress

Lets be honest here,nothing is like Last Of Us,so its kinda hard to recommend anything similar experience. Okay for Uncharted there is new Tomb Raider on pc,which is total rip off of the other game with more serious tone..