Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I recently played Binary domain and quite enjoyed it.
    It's fun to play (after you get used to the mouse acceleration), the story is predictable but well presented (although some cut-scenes can be longer than they should in a game) with good characters and the story and game fit together nicely.
    It also has some of the best robot boss fights in video game history.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Having not played The Last Of Us, I wonder why nothing is like it.

Is it that unique? I'd penciled it in as just a very cinematic action game that seemed to be of above average quality.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post

Is it that unique? I'd penciled it in as just a very cinematic action game that seemed to be of above average quality.
    i think it's just fanboy nonsense

it's just another iteration of 3rd person shooter (+ optional stealth elements)

you can play Resident Evil if 3rd person is required
    otherwise there are a lot of 1st person games that follow a similar setup (enter room/corridor/area. kill bad guys. repeat. watch cutscene. repeat)

and some of those games even have zombies if that's what you're looking for

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Well honestly its a third person shooter and looking by those elements we could recommend allot of stuff like i did on previous page. But what i understood is,that op wants post apocalyptic game set in third person,with drama and horror elements,also high production values etc... And looking by this criteria its not easy to find anything alike. Thats why i said there is nothing like this even on console.

There's a bunch of cinematic fps games but no good tps ones on pc (as a whole and actually meant for keyboard and mouse like the first max payne games). That's one reason why there isn't anything like "it" (or any console tps).
    Last edited by Wenz; 26-08-2014 at 08:57 AM.
    post in progress

DarkSiders?

It's post-apocalyptic, third person-y, and action-y. It's not a shooter though. Also, despite being post-apocalyptic, the atmosphere is actually kind of colorful and cheery.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post

Not fan-boying but my honest answer is that the sum of all it's parts are what make is special or unique. There's very little that you can pick out of TLOU and say that it's bad. The only thing I dislike about it or find bad is that some of it is still too "video gamey". For example any time there's a ledge or something you have to climb up onto that might not be 100% obvious, they find a way to put a yellow sheet or tape up around that ledge to draw your eye to it and say "hey! climb here for progress!" or if you're taking your time to explore an area looking for supplies, sometimes the game prompts you to press L3 to look in the direction you're meant to go. Maybe you can turn that second part off or it goes away on the higher difficulties.

But the story is good, the voice acting is good, the characters are good, the combat is good and it's nice to play a game were you will get the shit beaten out of you and can die pretty quickly if you're not careful about what you're doing. It's nice that Naughty Dog are allowed make things like this and its a very well crafted and enjoyable game. It's not the second coming of Christ though.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    I haven't played I Am Alive, but could that be a possible contender? I have it stowed away somewhere, but I'm not likely to pick it up (I don't have it on Steam/Uplay or somesuch, which means I don't remember owning it).

I loved Max Payne, excellent game.I might throw in Saints Row IV. Not a serious, dramatic and/or trgaic story but an hilarious third person adventure with an entertaining story and memorable characters.I feel rather cheated by the thread title. I was looking forward to suggestions of a different type of genre :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Spec Ops: The Line - TPP shooter with probably the best plot ever done in any shooter game. Sure, it have some flaws and cheap tricks, but overall it's rather unique experience, except gameplay, which is Standard Cover TPP Shooter(TM).

There's vtmb too but the roleplay makes it rpg so yeah.
    post in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    I haven't played I Am Alive, but could that be a possible contender?
    Yes! When I played TLOU I thought "this is kinda like I Am Alive, but good!".

Like TLOU, it's a post-apoc game where you play a man guarding a young girl. The Walking Dead and Dead Rising 2 also fit this description, come to think of it. TWD is closest to TLOU when it comes to tone, writing, and characters. DR2 is perhaps the most fun of the bunch, gameplaywise. I Am Alive is just kinda, eh... it had some nice moments I guess, but it's pretty forgettable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    Yes! When I played TLOU I thought "this is kinda like I Am Alive, but good!".

Like TLOU, it's a post-apoc game where you play a man guarding a young girl. The Walking Dead and Dead Rising 2 also fit this description, come to think of it. TWD is closest to TLOU when it comes to tone, writing, and characters. DR2 is perhaps the most fun of the bunch, gameplaywise. I Am Alive is just kinda, eh... it had some nice moments I guess, but it's pretty forgettable.
    I haven't forgot about it! It's a shame, it had real potential. Still worth a shot.

I second Remember Me. My personal game of the year.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by biz View Post
    i think it's just fanboy nonsense

it's just another iteration of 3rd person shooter (+ optional stealth elements)
    I'm going to be That Guy again: if you can say this with a straight face, either you don't like stories in games much, you don't like post-apocalyptic stories much or you're kidding yourself because TLoU did something you don't like, so you hates it forever. The Last of Us has a story with depth and characterisation way beyond almost any other videogame, it integrates it into gameplay better - not flawlessly or anything, but better than almost any other videogame, and it's had more thought and attention to detail put into its production than most developers can ever dream of being able to afford. It's simplistic, up to a point, it makes some really weird design decisions, the story has definite highs and lows and arguably doesn't quite work, but it is not just another third person shooter.

I love Resident Evil 6 - it was one of my favourite games that year the PC port turned up - but the idea you can compare it to TLoU is laughable. Resi's glorious stupid fun, but ultimately it is definitely just another videogame - the story's an afterthought, it makes no sense, it has no depth, it's bogged down by all the stupid things it has to do to be a game and appeal to as wide an audience as possible. I say again, I love it, but in ten years' time I know which one I'll be thinking about more often (or at all, come to that). The majority of games people are citing here have their good points - many of them are great - but none of them are going to have remotely the same impact on the medium in the long run.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Obscure Node
    woe is thou who plays last of us!

Obscure Node
    As it just happens I finished TLoU on PS3 two days ago for the first time, so fresh impressions if anyone is interested. I immediately bought the Left Behind DLC which is a first DLC purchase on consoles for me ever. This is probably quite good indication on what I think about the game.

I would not say the characters were very deep but compared to what is usual in games these days they were above the average for sure. Ellie annoyed me a bit (sorry Ellie) and did not rise much empathy for her before the winter forest section. During the gameplay she was usually just behind Joel out of field of view and I did not like her lines that much.

The voice actor of Joel did a splendid job (especially if you look how young the guy is compared to Joel in game) and also the voice actor of David (especially if you consider he is for me at least known as the voice of Nathan Drake, I think it was surprise to many to find his name in the credits).

The environments were just great, I don't remember seeing anything as detailed and believable in such scale in any game before.

The gameplay could have been somewhat more varied (for example the ladder and "rafting" parts were essentially all the same throughout the game and quite primitive) and I grew a bit tired of it at around 2/3 in. But it had it's moments - fridge trap (funny that Tomb Raider 2013 had similar events and both came out in 2013); section of pushing the car and the deer hunt / blizzard section for example.

But what I certainly want to say about the gameplay is that on hard difficulty the game certainly was not first and foremost a cover shooter but a stealth game (and quite good at that). The resources were pretty scarce and the enemies effective (although the AI did not behave as good as in the E2012 demo for sure, still I saw one thug with melee weapon say "Oh shit" and run away for a little while when I approached with the gun drawn) so at least for my Dualshock skills constantly shooting my way through encounters was not an option.

So yes, this game certainly has it' s flaws and is not THE best game of all time, but it stands out and is still a very good game if you want cinematic action.

As for third person cinematic action games to reccomend someone mentiond Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. I also would say it is worth trying out.

The setting of Enslaved is more fantastic but the games are quite similar I would say - two characters on a journey, somewhat simplistic gameplay and gorgeous environments (TlOU is much more detailed though; supposedly some environment guy of TlOU was hired from the Enslaved team).

All I could do was watching a longplay and it played like half life stealth edition with survival stuff. The ending twists are great.
    Last edited by Wenz; 29-08-2014 at 03:46 PM.
    post in progress

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    I'm going to be That Guy again: if you can say this with a straight face, either you don't like stories in games much, you don't like post-apocalyptic stories much or you're kidding yourself because TLoU did something you don't like, so you hates it forever. The Last of Us has a story with depth and characterisation way beyond almost any other videogame, it integrates it into gameplay better - not flawlessly or anything, but better than almost any other videogame, and it's had more thought and attention to detail put into its production than most developers can ever dream of being able to afford. It's simplistic, up to a point, it makes some really weird design decisions, the story has definite highs and lows and arguably doesn't quite work, but it is not just another third person shooter.
    sounds like:

a very cinematic action game that seemed to be of above average quality.

i personally don't view the story that highly (mainly because it's 100% non-interactive), but fanboys will put the game on such a high pedestal that it isn't even worth mentioning

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Got sucked into the multiplayer mode. It is pretty great. Better make your shots count when you only start with 7-9 in a gun for each spawn. Many times I will be down to my pistol and try to get around to a lootbox to find more ammo. Or risk getting near a corpse which drop 2-4 bullets.

Obscure Node
    The multiplayer is unexpectedly captivating indeed, that was a pleasant bonus on top of the single player.