Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Neither Google nor Amazon are especially "good guys" these days, but for the sake of competition I'll rather have both platforms (YouTube/Twitch) separated between them rather than putting both under the control of Google only.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    Neither Google nor Amazon are especially "good guys" these days, but for the sake of competition I'll rather have both platforms (YouTube/Twitch) separated between them rather than putting both under the control of Google only.
    That's certainly a good point.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    Google won't let Twitch run-off and be the streaming platform of choice - you can bet Youtube will offer the same features in the near-future.

It's important to understand that no-one really wanted Twitch's streaming software - what they bought was their userbase. Facebook didn't buy WhatsApp because they needed a Messenger (tho they do!) - they bought their old users back!!

It's quite possible that Google backed-off because they already have a lot of Twitch's customers anyway - tho I'm not entirely sure what Amazon want with a shittonne of self-publicising gamers (other than - as people have said - guaranteed lease on their servers).

Amazon threw a lot into their AppStore but I get the feeling it's not going all that well (as a developer it's certainly not been great for me). They give things away to get people to use it - that is never a good sign - and the AppStore itself does some stuff which worries me (if you have a rooted phone and use Amazon Appstore, take a peek at your catlog and note the staggering amount of stuff it's doing which includes scanning all your installed apps frequently!!) to the point I've removed it.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    @Drake Sigar: Wasn't there a massive fuss in the UK last year about Amazon, particularly related to their tax-avoidance practices, but also their employment practices?
    Here is a good piece on the 'Amazon Experience' in the UK.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Amazon plays Twitch.
    Start9

(tenchar)

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Google won't let Twitch run-off and be the streaming platform of choice - you can bet Youtube will offer the same features in the near-future.
    I thought Youtube could already do streaming, the matter being that Youtube is just not very good at it. But I may be mistaken.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmm-Hmm. View Post
    I thought Youtube could already do streaming, the matter being that Youtube is just not very good at it. But I may be mistaken.
    Youtube can do streaming but like you said, it's not very good at it.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Weren't there rumors of Amazon doing a game console? That's pretty much the only thing I can think of.

Also, anyone knows what the next Twitch might be? I have a feeling a fair few people might jump ships.

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFire View Post
    Weren't there rumors of Amazon doing a game console? That's pretty much the only thing I can think of.

Also, anyone knows what the next Twitch might be? I have a feeling a fair few people might jump ships.
    Hitbox.tv already got a fair number of new members after the rumours that Google might buy Twitch.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFire View Post
    They even hired a moderately successful developer.

My reaction to this was just like the Oculus deal. "Uh", followed by complete indiference. At least for Oculus I can see a use, but Twitch is just completely outside my sphere of influence.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?