Obscure Node

Astronauts! Mars! Beyond!

In the halcyon days of RPS (circa 2009), an article was run that referred to an MMO named Astronaut: Moon, Mars and Beyond. Now, this having already been posted on Joystiq, I'm certain that it will be pointed out that this thread is irrelevant. But! The only gaming blog I read is this one, and if life has taught me anything it's that many people do the same thing you do so to that other, wayward soul who's reading this, hello.

How're you, oh lonesome reader? NASA is looking for your money in their Kickstarter fund for a game. I know right? They're already passed their pledged goal, but a few extra coins have never hurt anyone except for folks standing under the Eiffel Tower. But I digress. Kick in some dough (or not), read up on their outdated site (or don't), and cross your fingers for a speedy PC release (please do).

Biggest technical point from the Kickstarter video (not the above, which is the best use of licensed Mr. Rogers music I've ever seen, by the way): it's running on UE3 and will be available on iPad, PC and 'consoles' (so, likely the PS3 and 360). Oh, and it's an MMO about space exploration. That too.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Why the heck is NASA of all organizations looking for funds?

Network Hub
    They've had their budget cut a lot recently, haven't they? This isn't like America's Army where it'll pay for itself in new recruits.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    I'm gonna be a spaceman!

Will it have text-to-speach like in Moonbase Alpha?

As far as I know, this isn't an official NASA project. Project Whitecard Inc. have merely gotten a license from NASA to use their name in this project. Unfortunately, I have no real source for this. I remember reading somewhere that a few years ago, NASA invited a few gamedevs over to talk about an MMO project. Rather than talking about actually creating one with NASA funds as the devs expected, NASA told them that instead they could purchase a license to use the NASA name and some assets/advice. Most gamedevs were disappointed, but it looks like these guys actually agreed with NASA's offerings.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Megagun View Post
    ... Unfortunately, I have no real source for this. ...
    NASA sponsored the selection in the MMO competition, and Project Whitecard and WisdomTools comprise the winning team! -Homepage
    And now you do :3. They talk a little about their monetary issues in the Kickstarter video too, actually, if you can make it through the cheesetastic dialogue.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    If done well, a space-exploration (or better colonization) sim/MMO would be facemeltingly, radiation-sickness-inducingly, death-as-the-heat-shield-breaks-uppingly awesome.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    The trailer is just awful.