Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Koei release Nobunaga's Ambition on Steam...

...except it's only available in Chinese. With Japanese voice overs. Why.

In case you're not aware, which is not too difficult since Koei has never been big on exporting their games, Nobunaga's Ambition is a long-running grand strategy series, focusing on the Japanese Sengoku period. Gameplay-wise it seems somewhere between Total War and Paradox grand strategy. Actually, Souzou is a release specifically for the 30th anniversary of the series. This also came with arguably the coolest limited edition ever.

Talk about feelies.

Although to my understanding this particular installment received rather mixed reviews.

Is there an English localization in sight? Doesn't look it at the moment and the series is much less known in the west than Dynasty Warriors. Why must you tease us, Koei?
    Last edited by Anthile; 27-08-2014 at 11:05 PM.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    So... a Japanese game about a specific period of Japanese history makes it to Steam... IN CHINESE?!

The hell are Koei smoking?!

Looks interesting, but if they really expect to get any proper amount of sales with Chinese only, they're out of their damn minds.

Reading a bit around the Steam forums, some people seem to indicate that there is a fan patch in the works, but still a long way before it's done.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    So... a Japanese game about a specific period of Japanese history makes it to Steam... IN CHINESE?!

The hell are Koei smoking?!

Looks interesting, but if they really expect to get any proper amount of sales with Chinese only, they're out of their damn minds.

Reading a bit around the Steam forums, some people seem to indicate that there is a fan patch in the works, but still a long way before it's done.
    Uh, I'm pretty sure quite a few higher-profile Japanese games (Dynasty Warriors and the spinoffs, ROTK, Sakura Taisen etc.) have had PC ports in Chinese for at least the past decade. I doubt it's that big a money-spinner, but it's certainly not some marketing executive having a stroke or anything. The weird part is being released on Steam, not specifically in Chinese.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Shame, I'd definitely like to give it a try. Reminds me of Crusader Kings mixed with the Sega Saturn's Dragonforce.

Yeah I'm just throwing out random comparisons.

There already seem to be a couple hundred comments on the Steam forums asking for a translation. Maybe somebody at KOEI figures out the beauty of capitalism.
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I know it's not the only country where a lot of the population speak the language, but is Steam even available in China? Honest question.

The catch here is that it says Traditional Chinese. I'm hardly an expert when it comes to the Chinese language but Traditional Chinese is much more common in Hong Kong and Taiwan while most of the mainland uses the newer Simplified Chinese which was introduced by the Communists in the 50s. It remains a hugely controversial and politicized issue to this day.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    The catch here is that it says Traditional Chinese. I'm hardly an expert when it comes to the Chinese language but Traditional Chinese is much more common in Hong Kong and Taiwan while most of the mainland uses the newer Simplified Chinese which was introduced by the Communists in the 50s. It remains a hugely controversial and politicized issue to this day.
    I'm not an expert either, but yeah, I know the difference between the two, I just hadn't actually looked at the listing. I don't know specifically which one the other games I mentioned were released in, though, or if any of them offered both.

Squirrel's input here would be very nice and appreciated.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    [hell freezes over]

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Squirrel's input here would be very nice and appreciated.
    For what, though? :P It's in Chinese, we know this, Koei have released games on PC in Chinese before, and Wiki seems to suggest they were in Traditional. He could tell us if he uses Steam, I guess, but a quick Google seems to indicate it certainly is available in Hong Kong and Taiwan. So... yeah, still a bit odd, but not without precedent - I guess the question is does the fact Koei did not region lock it mean they are going to translate it, or that they just glossed over that part?

EDIT: Also, that LE is pretty awesome. Was meaning to say that. What to get the grand strategy fan/Japanophile who has everything, I suppose.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Why so surprise westerners? Koei has been having a very strong presence in China region for a very long time.

Most of gamers here, no matter what their tastes are, have played at least one Koei title. Almost all Koei titles have been localized in Chinese. Yes, Traditional Chinese mostly but most of us can read Traditional Chinese easily so that isn't really an issue.

I am rather surprised that a Chinese localized title would make its way to Steam because Steam is not well received here. But I guess the distribution cost is really minimum so why not some extra cash?

Thanks to Koei, people here are more familiar with Japanese history than our own.

Can you even legitimately use Steam in China?
    \_(ツ)_/

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Thanks to Koei, people here are more familiar with Japanese history than our own.
    Armed warfare didn't work, so now it's time for a cultural takeover?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    At least DLC wasn't lost in translation.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Huh. That actually looks pretty interesting. I'd give it a whirl if it wasn't all incomprehensible gibberish to me. What a weird thing to see.

Note: I am not disparaging either language, but they're just extremely foreign to me. I can't even tell if people are angry in japanese as the cadence of the language is just too off for my ethnocentric ears.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Network Hub
    Romance of the three Kingdoms for NES is still one of my all-time favorite gaming memories. I remember renting it as a kid and being bewildered by all of the options and charts.

I meandered through it and was ready to give up until I watched a battle between two NPC rulers. From that moment on I was hooked, and I taught it to anyone who would listen. We had RotTK parties that lasted a whole day.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaydeeadi View Post
    Can you even legitimately use Steam in China?
    That's what I have been wondering. We don't have VISA/MasterCard/Paypal here, so how are people supposed to buy games from Steam?

I don't use Steam myself, that's primary reason I am cut off from Call of Duty to begin with.

But I have friends who use Steam. I have a friend who once told me that there were Dirt 3's steam keys available on the net, too, and she didn't hesitate to grab one herself. Surprisingly she wasnt banned from Steam for it.

So I guess Steam can be used here, only if you sort out payment issue. I guess disc version with Steam DRM can work, but I don't have exact info on that for me never having tried. For Steam games I buy, once I have my disc copies I immediately download cracks to bypass the Steam.

Any countrymen here to let us be informed on this?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    They are releasing this for PS4 I think too (if they didn't already I dunno), might be released in Japan?

Never really understand what KOEI is doing though so I can't really add anything else :P

I tried a similar game when I was much younger on PS2, as a rental, couldn't figure out what was happening for the life of me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    The screenshots are confusing me. Where are all the cats?