Secondary Hivemind Nexus

What to do with an 8Gb usb memory stick

I just got a free Samsung 8Gb memory stick, and it looks very stylish, is very compact, and would even work as a keyring.. but I can't really think of anything useful to do with it. It seems such a waste.

Memory sticks were so handy a few years ago, but in the era of smartphones and dropbox, I don't use them much anymore.

Any creative ideas?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I have a 4GB I keep around to install windows.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    You can use a flash drive to lock your PC while you're away from it. Or put a bootable OS on it in case your PC ever crashes and you want to try recover it.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Bootable usb-stick, slap something like puppy linux on it to recover important files such as non-backed up pictures or texts from virus locked computers, and a few virus scanning/malware removal programs.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-mu...t-usb-creator/

Just download that, and then use that to both make it bootable and download the added programs you want to it.

Leave most of it empty for space to save those documents i mentioned. Hopefully you won't need it, but if you ever do it'll be computer saving (also if it's on keyring and always with you, can make you look like Hacker Wizard Computer God to people who have no idea of computers but get theirs virus ridden).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If it's fast enough (doubt it) and you have little RAM (not likely) you could attempt to use it with Readyboost. Though results will vary and it will never be as quick as an actual SSD.

I use old drives/memory sticks for game install backups. As games are now download, I like having a backup should I need to reinstall. Though honestly, it's probably quicker on the download than from a USB stick. The only reason I do prefer them is I will not eat up all my bandwidth (as it's limited currently) on a couple of games.
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Backtrack Linux all the way.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Memory sticks were so handy a few years ago, but in the era of smartphones and dropbox, I don't use them much anymore.
    You can get USB sticks up to 256GB capacity now, much faster than smartphone storage too with read speeds up to 300MB/sec. I don't use anything so exotic mind you -- just picked up a basic 32GB Sony USB 3.0 stick today.
    Last edited by Lethe; 29-08-2014 at 08:17 AM.

Obscure Node
    I use my USB stick for carrying around encrypted containers and my Keepass database, could probably just use BT sync as well. I mean who want to access my stuff anyways.

Put all kinds of weird, inspiring or cryptic stuff on it, add a big "hello lucky person who found this stick" readme-file on it, and casually drop/place the stick somewhere and pat yourself on the back and start calling yourself an artist from now on :)
    Mijn Uitlaatklep - My (Dutch) blog about games, music and more

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olero View Post
    Put all kinds of weird, inspiring or cryptic stuff on it, add a big "hello lucky person who found this stick" readme-file on it, and casually drop/place the stick somewhere and pat yourself on the back and start calling yourself an artist from now on :)
    Use permanent marker and write "Minecraft save files", then spend a while in a survival game (not ironman), when you die backup the save to the USB and geocache it.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I have one loaded with MP3s that I use with my car stereo. Receivers capable of this are pretty damn cheap these days.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

DRM-free games
    and game soundtracks

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hmm. All good ideas, but nothing really leaps out at me. Is it possible to do them all at once? Can I make a bootable USB that has 4-5 different options to boot into?
    I guess I might use it for a rescue disk/backup type thing.. but that's rather dull.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Hmm. All good ideas, but nothing really leaps out at me. Is it possible to do them all at once? Can I make a bootable USB that has 4-5 different options to boot into?
    I guess I might use it for a rescue disk/backup type thing.. but that's rather dull.
    4-5? Not enough.
    http://forums.justlinux.com/showthre...SD-and-Solaris
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?