Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

[Frontpage] The Monday Papers

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09/01/the-monday-papers-4/

Sundays are for wandering around Croatian national parks in glorious sunshine. Mondays, meanwhile, are for sitting inside Croatian apartments, watching thunderstorms roll by the window. And for belatedly rounding up the week’s best writing about videogames.

Over Gamasutra, Leigh Alexander hits the nail on the head better than anyone else I’ve seen so far.‘Gamers’ don’t have to be your audience.

We also have to scrutinize, closely, the baffling, stubborn silence of many content creators amid these scandals, or the fact lots of stubborn, myopic internet comments happen on business and industry sites. This is hard for old-school developers who are being made redundant, both culturally and literally, in their unwillingness to address new audiences or reference points outside of blockbuster movies and comic books as their traditional domain falls into the sea around them. Of course it’s hard. It’s probably intense, painful stuff for some young kids, some older men.
    Covering similar ground, Dan Golding writes equally well on*the end of the ‘gamer’, why that is and what that means.

On the evidence of the last few weeks, what we are seeing is the end of gamers, and the viciousness that accompanies the death of an identity. Due to fundamental shifts in the videogame audience, and a move towards progressive attitudes within more traditional areas of videogame culture, the gamer identity has been broken. It has nowhere to call home, and so it reaches out inarticulately at invented problems, such as bias and corruption, which are partly just ways of expressing confusion as to why things the traditional gamer does not understand are successful (that such confusion results in abject heartlessness is an indictment on the character of the male-focussed gamer culture to begin with).
    Gamers are over and that’s a good thing, but I wonder what comes next. Fractured tribalism within the broader cultural sphere seems inevitable.

Alex Roberts*writes reviews of old (mostly console) games*– sort of. Actually what he does is review his memories attached to those games. Thanks to reader Bahumat for sending this our way. On QWOP:

Luke Crane has a funny theory about Game Design as Mind Control, and there’s an unsettling truth to it. Can you really design a game to make people do exactly what you want them to do? That’s kind of scary. But I guess you probably could.
    This is more like Game Design as Tickle Fight. Can you design a game to provoke sudden explosions of unpredictable behaviour, followed by giddiness and a sense of contentment? Apparently.
    Roberts*also writes here.

Michael Gapper has left the building: the long-term writer and editor for XBox World, Edge and others has skipped out on game journalism for shores thus unannounced. He took time in his last week to write*this piece about how piracy cemented the Dreamcast’s heralded position within videogames. RELATABLE.

It’s hard to argue with a Dreamcast advocate. It was a short-lived console with a wealth of quality gamer’s games and import-only titles, which was immediately attractive to the kind of gamer prepared to hunt down niche games and debate the Greatest Of All Time until the End Of All Time. But when a Dreamcast advocate makes their argument a little too well and references too many games you should ask just how many of the discs on their shelf came from Sega and how many came from BigPockets. Certainly, not all Dreamcast owners were pirates, but all pirates were Dreamcast owners.
    [*]Jon Bois is the sportswriter repsonsible for the excellent, previously linked*Breaking Madden series. His latest work isn’t videogame related, but it is*a fictionalised story about a real American football player. It’s hard to give a quote representative of its surrealism, so I won’t try.[/*][*]The latest Feminist Frequency is excellent viewing, and I think the best episode thus far: onwomen as background decoration, part two.[/*]

Full article
    Discuss (Feel free to talk about anything connected to this, but be excellent or go away)
    Last edited by Tei; 01-09-2014 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Editing the formating, so is easier to read

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Why the comments are off?

That article about Dreamcast is nice. I've only played few weeks on them (temporary swapped my PSX for DC with friend) but hell. It's one of the best console ever made. Shame that it didn't had such a success like PS2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    For a long time the Dreamcast had a strong quake scene. With people making lots of mods for it.

It probably was the last console friendly to mods.

Obscure Node
    For some reason whenever someone uses the word 'gamer', the first image that always pops up in my head is the Modern Warfare 2 boycott member list.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Don't join the echochamber of hating gamers.

First, hating for hating sake is a horrible beavior, its bulling.

Second, gamers is a diverse group of people. A 90 years old japanese women can be a gamer, as much as some 9 years old guy in brazil.

Third, gamers already have enough problems.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Posted on Monday, no comments. They are grinding away the good faith built up over years. I honestly think I'll look into other sites.

Not so much for my own nattering which I'm generally happy with the forums here, but for things to read.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I am going to try and get an answer to all of that.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Network Hub
    You'd think that when starting annihilating "gamers" you've had extensive knowledge about demographics you are talking about... I only remember some research being done on WoW population when it was at their peak (13 millions, more then Belgium population) but apart from this I only read some vapid descriptions: dudebros, cod-players, etc. We are talking about millions people worldwide, you know "gamers", and it turns out you don't need no sociological and statistical research and analysis, all you need is twitter account and few hours browsing 4chan. Oh come on...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Based on some comments I have read from this Leigh Alexander, the faq on his website and his twitter. She is a total bro-girl person. Hater of nerds and gamers.

I can't understand why RPS is giving this type of person a voice on the website. Maybe hating nerds has become fashionable again?

This whole anti-Gamers thing is weird. I can understand hating the river of shit some people is receiving just now, but you don't blame the whole for a part, if you are a honest person.

I think is totally whiting their rights to publish with comments off or whatever they want. Is their website 200%.

Network Hub
    This whole anti-Gamers thing is weird. I can understand hating the river of shit some people is receiving just now, but you don't blame the whole for a part, if you are a honest person.
    I can even justify blaming the whole but under at least condition that you do know something about the whole thing, like anything... I mean I remember gaming magazines in the nineties used to run these surveys about their readers, you know these questionnaires: age, games you like to play, your hardware etc. Now it seems you can make "gamers" such elusive demographics that it doesn't need any connection to reality.

@Tei

I think it's because the games media is mostly staffed by a very specific, insular and homogeneous demographic; middle-class, metropolitan, capital-L-Liberal Americans and English*. This obviously limits their contact with the full scope of "Games Culture" (which is increasingly global at this point) to basically folk that give them abuse on Twitter or the comments section of blogs. So the stereotype form that "Gamers" are all angry teenage orcs and thus must be shat upon from a very great height.

*Nothing wrong with being any of the latter of course. It's just that some variety in world view and experience would be nice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead_Cheiftain View Post
    @Tei

I think it's because the games media is mostly staffed by a very specific, insular and homogeneous demographic; middle-class, metropolitan, capital-L-Liberal Americans and English*. This obviously limits their contact with the full scope of "Games Culture" (which is increasingly global at this point) to basically folk that give them abuse on Twitter or the comments section of blogs. So the stereotype form that "Gamers" are all angry teenage orcs and thus must be shat upon from a very great height.

*Nothing wrong with being any of the latter of course. It's just that some variety in world view and experience would be nice.
    This make me very sad. Group dynamics are fucking us over this.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Perhaps there never really were gamers to begin with, just like you can't just say that people are "moviegoers"...

And perhaps you can! I know plenty of people who often go to the movies, all sorts of movies, just because they like sitting in the cinema, enjoy the experiences to be had there and because they love films as a form of art. Because they are.

And that is what puzzles me about RPS' latest stance. For me, RPS were always "Gamers". A term I associated with people who enjoyed the art of videogames, just as moviegoers are people who often go to films because they enjoy films in all the shapes and form. I enjoy games in all shapes and forms and play quite a lot of them. What should I then call myself?

Quite a few people in games journalism seem to have gotten this idea in their head that "Gamer" is just like the word "Fucker". It applies to everyone, is meant to be an insult, and ultimately carries no meaning as an insult since everybody fucks around. Gamer might be meant as a identifier, but in the end it holds no meaning since everybody games. For me, it carries a lot of meaning. It has become an unmistakable part of my identity.

South Park once tried to argue that the word "Faggot" has since become meaningless due to the fact that it has been overused, in one of their rather excellent episodes. Although many people applauded the episode for it's intention, a lot of people still stated that, although the word carried no meaning for the soth park creators, for both homophobes and homosexuals it still carries A LOT of meaning, and an episode is not going to change any of that. In the end, language is a rather dynamic thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Whatever drama that is going on in game dev/journalism land is not the public face of gaming I can tell you that for free.

I've not really been reading RPS recently (haven't had the time) and had absolutely no idea about any of the controversy flying around (and don't really have the will to catch up on it but I'm sure it's eerily similar to whatever the last one was) and I'm actually interested in gaming.

Nope, I'm afraid the public face of gaming is someone spamming your Facebook feed about Candy Crush, some ad for XBox where all the big upcoming games appear to feature wars and/or wars in space, some ad for Nintendo where somebody looks a bit awkward playing a game and an article or two about the sale of Twitch or just how much Destiny costs to make. That's pretty much it really unless you're someone who is already interested.

Gamers always seem to have this assumption that non-gamers have a negative view of games as opposed to simply not caring, in the same way many people will not care about football or I don't care about horse riding. Thing is a lot of people simply just don't care.

Not really sure what my point is here; think I'm just poking around a feeling that gamers' need to stop obsessing over what people who just don't give a shit think. It's redundant. Changing things in gaming is for gaming's benefit and well, just simply being nice to people, not for the sake of appearances.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    I can't understand why RPS is giving this type of person a voice on the website. Maybe hating nerds has become fashionable again?
    It seems we've come full circle, though I’d never of imagined gaming websites going to war with their own readership. There must have been a dozen such articles in a single day, almost as if it were a coordinated attempt to rewrite recent history.

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    This make me very sad. Group dynamics are fucking us over this.
    Aye I know, I mean imagine the only news paper that were widely available were the Guardian, the Independent and the New Statesman. Personally I think this is why YouTube is rapidly supplanting traditional games journalism; it just offers a much vaster array of out-looks and opinions.
    Last edited by Dead_Cheiftain; 01-09-2014 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Spelling.

Stream of consciousness post ahead.

What's the genesis of this notion that the term "gamer" is done? Is there actual evidence supporting this declaration, or are they simply proclaiming that it's happened? It smacks me of wagging the dog, or ignoring the man behind the curtain, especially considering that this sort of article popped up in several places within a short time period (as Drake pointed out). "Let's declare some silly shit to be truth to make everyone forget about we acted during incident!"

It reminds me of the short-lived name-change of French fries into "freedom fries": a vapid gesture that nobody outside the small circle that created it actually uses.

Is this some sort of desperate self-declared "victory" or "mission accomplished" moment of the gaming press? From my bystander POV, some of them (not all... just some) slung mud, acted emotionally, and behaved as deplorably as the trolls did during this point-and-click adventure: shit all over Total Biscuit for daring to even hint that Zoe Quinn was wrong, telling someone who claimed sexual harassment to fuck off, comparing the entirety of gamers to fundamentalist religious terrorists that execute every military-aged-male in whole villages, or simply shutting down even reasonable questions or debate with straight up "fuck you" or some similar insult... it was incredible. Are they attempting to obscure the fact that a vocal member of their Breakfast Club was publicly shown to be full of shit? Trying to put things back to the way they were? Jesus, this is absurd.

Every public figure that attached themselves to this debacle needs to run silent, run deep. The social clique that revealed themselves over the course of this incident has formed an impenetrable barrier so thick that no serious discussion with them can ever be had about the objectification of women within videogames. They showed themselves to be as non-inclusive and closed to debate as the trolls are. Indeed, one iota of disagreement with their views and you're quickly labeled a misogynist and publicly-vilified.

For an example of how to do this right (in my opinion) and approach the advancement of females within the gaming industry, go look up Sarah on Gamer Headlines.
    Last edited by dudebro; 02-09-2014 at 12:41 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Posted on Monday, no comments. They are grinding away the good faith built up over years. I honestly think I'll look into other sites.

Not so much for my own nattering which I'm generally happy with the forums here, but for things to read.
    It's Labor Day in the US (hence Graham referring to a "holiday"). Not that this necessarily excuses anything, just an FYI.

For my part, I stopped having much interest in the front page some time ago because as time has gone on, RPS's taste in games has deviated pretty severely from mine. I have little investment in any of the current controversy, though I will say I eschewed the label "gamer" back when it first started connoting "teenage COD player" to me.
    Last edited by vinraith; 02-09-2014 at 12:56 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I always hated the word gamer. Didn't like it when it started, don't like it now. It's a false group identity created by marketing agents. What does someone replaying Planescape Torment have in common with someone playing Skyrim? It could be a lot or a little. It also serves to deligitimize certain games and the people who play them.

I also think that heavy moderation makes a better place to talk in general, and if that's viewed as a war on readers, nuts to them. It's a war on assholes. If you don't believe me, look at the comments for the incredibly unmoderated Washington Post. They make youtube looks civil.

That said, I've always thought turning off comments was a cowardly abrogation of the responsibilities of a news and discussion site, particularly when they aggregate news from other sites. Articles are frequently less interesting than the comments below, and the comments frequently contain important corrections for the authors.

Oh, and I really, really, really, really, really don't care about the Zoe Quinn thing.

When those articles talk about the "death of the gamer" then they mean the increasing fragmentation and ultimately dispersion of the gamer subculture. Until a few years ago gamers were seen as a rather monolithic group: male, somewhere between 16-30 and who mostly like the same kind of games. This has changed recently with atypical games like Dear Esther or Gone Home achieving mainstream success or Spec Ops: The Line which questioned if not condemned many mainstream games. Surely you have seen the endless not-a-game debates? That is crucial to keep in mind. Suddenly other demographics are no longer ignored. One could say gaming has reached full mainstream penetration and the original gamers that have been pampered for so long are left in the dust. It's no longer about us.