Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what are the top browsers other than chrome & firefox?

Hello,
    I want to know that what are the top browsers other than chrome & firefox?
    Please Reply somebody

Thanks

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Please use a search engine next time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Chrome is a mess. I'm sad to leave it but they keep adding features no one asked for and as the most popular browser it's the most targeted by scripts.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    As such, there are 3 engines in use. Firefox has their own, while Safari, Chrome, Opera and most mobile browsers use Webkit or derivations thereof, and finally we have Trident used by Internet Explorer. The browser around the engine is fairly unimportant from a dev perspective, just the engine. One can usually presume firefox and webkit browsers will be reasonably up-to-date and thus just code for the latest, but trident is a complete pain given the huge differences between IE6-11. Hope that helps someone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Chrome is a mess. I'm sad to leave it but they keep adding features no one asked for and as the most popular browser it's the most targeted by scripts.
    Oh, someone asked for it. Just not the "users". ;)
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Oh, someone asked for it. Just not the "users". ;)
    The worse part is that it's like a virus. It already infected the UI team of Firefox, Australis is borderline unusable.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Network Hub
    If you want firefox to be usable, simply press alt to view the menu, then view -> toolbars -> Menu Bar. After that hunt out "Tree Style Tabs" and you've got one excellent, usable browser. Still pissed off about the right-click menu changes though.

EDIT: http://www.ghacks.net/2014/09/02/res...-remove-icons/ to fix the crap right-click menu. The add-on mentioned can be found at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...themerestorer/ if you want it.
    Last edited by hariseldon; 04-09-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
    If you want firefox to be usable, simply press alt to view the menu, then view -> toolbars -> Menu Bar. After that hunt out "Tree Style Tabs" and you've got one excellent, usable browser. Still pissed off about the right-click menu changes though.
    Does Tree Style Tabs still do that thing where it sends your tab to the wrong screen if you drag it to a new window on a different monitor? I don't know why vertical tabs aren't built into every monitor; those 8" of margin space aren't doing shit for me, but that harrowing cluster of tabs along the menu bar means I have to keep the window fullscreen anyway. Tree Style Tabs is sickeningly efficient, but it was just too hacky when I tried it a few months ago. The aforementioned window selection issue (which fullscreen videos can't seem to figure the fuck out either. Why?!) and some UI bugs with certain themes were preventing my browser from being as solid as I need it to be.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I got fed up of firefox lagging behind and needing dozens of extensions, which then slowed it down too much.
    So I switched to chrome, which seemed to be getting more support from things like the latest extensions and tech.
    Then they updated firefox to their new UI a month or so later, which is really slick, but I couldn't be bothered going back after moving all my stuff across and getting chrome set up how I liked it.
    TBH, I'm not really happy with either browser, and I was thinking of switching to Opera before they turned that into a Chrome fork, negating the point.

I have never found a decent vertical tabs implementation. I must have tried dozens over the years, and they were all full of bugs/hacks that meant that things didn't work out exactly as expected.
    I'm rather amazed that neither of the browsers includes a decent vertical tabs implementation.

Network Hub
    They're pretty much interchangeable these days. The idea of being devoted to a particular browser to the point of arguing the pros and cons of each back-and-forth ad infinitum ... well, for me at least it belongs to a bygone era. I jumped aboard Firefox back when it was still Firebird, and switched to Chrome on Day 1 (ok, like, Day 5), but these days I see browser icon, I click, I browse. Chrome, Firefox, IE, Safari -- they're all fine.
    Last edited by Lethe; 04-09-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Network Hub
    I'm still on Opera 12. Everything else doesn't really cut it.

But IE hasn't been a pain since v9 from a dev POV. v11 has the most robust CSS implementations of all.

Network Hub
    I was firefox until the the new UI changes then i found Palemoon and that is pretty good so far. All the good stuff of firefox without the influence of Chrome. When i do use chrome i use the Dragon browser version (by the Comodo people) as it is more secure.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Really? I don't use forefox anymore, but from occasionally messing around with the wife's browser the UI changes seemed like a HUGE improvement to me. Though I'd imagine there were a few rough edges to work out at first.

Is it actually a case of the new UI not being good, or is it the usual case of people not liking change? Because every UI change over the last 50 years has been decried.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Really? I don't use forefox anymore, but from occasionally messing around with the wife's browser the UI changes seemed like a HUGE improvement to me. Though I'd imagine there were a few rough edges to work out at first.

Is it actually a case of the new UI not being good, or is it the usual case of people not liking change? Because every UI change over the last 50 years has been decried.
    It depends on your tastes i guess? I like to have stuff to hand, rather than hidden or streamlined away that i can only get access to within nested menu's or keyboard shortcuts, so streamlined GUI's like Chromes (and Firefox's new thing..whatever it was called) 'get in the way' of what i want to do. I don't use mobile computing, so i'm happy giving up screen space for functions i use all the time. Here is a screen shot of my preferred browser experience, it allows me instant access to pretty much everything i need from my browser:

So applications are ALL about usability and functionality for me. I don't want things hidden so i have to go search them out or either be forced to remember bunches of keyboard shortcuts, i like it there in the GUI a click away. I tried Chrome for a few weeks, but it's lesser security options (Firefox just has so many great Add-ons) and the fact i was always wondering where the info i needed was in the browser, just made me go back to Firefox. Now that Firefox has decided to copy Chrome, i've moved onto Palemoon, for all the reasons the people that run Palemoon talk about on their page.

http://www.palemoon.org/

I hate Windows 8 Metro also, i think that is part of the same problem. Less info, more streamlined looks (=less functional to me).
    Last edited by ZakG; 07-09-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm tempted to jump ships to Chrome for the much better mobile version and integration between the two, as well as the fact Firefox has been really laggy for me of late. The thing that's kept me around is that ABP and NoScript are still leading Chrome's variants by a little bit, but the gap has narrowed significantly. I also like pushing Firefox because I think Mozilla still act as a watchdog for the other browsers, being the only non-profit in the race. I like Google, but I wouldn't want to see them as the only game in town because I doubt they'd be any better than Microsoft in the IE dominance days.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Vista, brrr.
    Also, DDG Dark Mode FTW!
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Obscure Node
    I use Opera. Firefox is better in many ways, but with Opera I like that it creates a lot of processes wich I can close when they use too much RAM, while with Firefox I have to restart it for that

Obscure Node
    I use chrome and Opera, and most of time for google chrome, It's very great

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    I like chrome. The features added I use so for me its been good. I like the access to hangouts/talk and so on and google keep (notepad stuff) because I use those a lot for free phone calls and stuff. I just click the notification bar once type in phone number and voila good stuff. I like that it doesn't close itself and launches rapidly when I want to use it too.

Also the bookmarks to my phone and all the google services integration between phone / computer helps me a lot.

The chrome launcher I use as well if I want to use gmail or even go straight to Netflix or google maps.

Basically does everything I need it to do so I like the changes, very convenient for me.

I personally have not like FF for a couple years now. It doesn't run well on my computers in my experience and doesn't offer nearly the services Chrome does (for me important since I use them a lot).

Opera I like more but it is again too bare bones for me when I have everything I need in chrome. But if you want bare bones I recommend Opera very good browser with lots of cool options.

I've also heard opera mini on phones is excellent and fast. I tried it many months ago and I remember it being very good too. I believe you can share bookmarks between desktop phone as well.
    Last edited by rockman29; 09-09-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    I'm still on Opera 12. Everything else doesn't really cut it.
    Same. I'm still baffled at their decision to discontinue 12 and start something new that is basically a Chrome-clone. They threw everything that made Opera great overboard. I'd use 12 till the end of days but every day there's more and more websites that don't function properly. Been using the built int eMail-client for well over 10 years now, I wouldn't know what to exchange it for.